Report: NFL could punish Brady, ball boys in wake of report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
slap.jpg

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
He will be suspended.

He not only knowingly broke the rules, but he lied to our face about it.

It seems a significant integrity of the game issue and I expect he'll be dealt with seriously.

You haven't been paying attention. Not sure why one would expect the NFL to do much of anything except try to sweep all this under the rug as best as possible. I don't.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He will be suspended.

He not only knowingly broke the rules, but he lied to our face about it.

It seems a significant integrity of the game issue and I expect he'll be dealt with seriously.
The best part about the lying, was Bill telling reporters that he knew nothing and that they would have to ask Tom about the balls.

Throwing your qb to the wolves, is exactly what we would expect from that scumbag. Hardly a leader of men.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The best part about the lying, was Bill telling reporters that he knew nothing and that they would have to ask Tom about the balls.

Throwing your qb to the wolves, is exactly what we would expect from that scumbag. Hardly a leader of men.

Right. This is what rats do. And then throwing the ball boy under the bus makes you hate them that much more, if that's even possible.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Right. This is what rats do. And then throwing the ball boy under the bus makes you hate them that much more, if that's even possible.
Oh, and one more thing to add.
Fuck you Kraft. Your not getting your appology. I'm happy as hell this whole investigation, pissed on your Superbowl celebration.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This has got to be like, a compulsive thing right? They don't even need to cheat, but they do it for like, the sport of it.

Belicheck and Brady need some therapy to come to terms with their compulsive lying streak.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Goodhell's not going to kill the golden goose. Brady will get off scot free. The ballboys will be fired and banned from the game for life.

rams2050

Starter
Time to re-inflate the spirit of competition in sports
kurt-warner-40-50.png

MORE: Report: Lengthy Brady suspension possible | Wells Report a 'sting operation?'

That brings up a bigger point: When did that become acceptable and will we ever get back to the true spirit of competition?

I continually hear analysts, talk show hosts and former athletes make the statement that every athlete does things to obtain an advantage over their opponent, implying that all athletes will bend or break rules if it’s the difference between winning and losing.

I would disagree and take offense to that. Sure, true athletes try to get a competitive advantage over their opponents, but that advantage is pursued through hard and extra work, preparation and studying your opponent well. Not every athlete adopts the “win at all or any cost” or “if you aren’t cheating you aren’t trying” mentality.

When I was younger, I fell in love with sports because I believe that once you step between the lines, it’s me versus you — same size field, same rules, same equipment. Whoever is better prepared, the better player or simply performs better in that moment is victorious.

If you win, you accept the prize with grace and humility knowing that today was your day. You appreciate the effort of the opponent and you never forget that tomorrow’s victory is never guaranteed. Then you return to perfect your craft.

If you lose, you graciously accept that fate. You tip your hat to the opponent with respect for how they competed that day. Then you return to perfect your craft.

To me, this is the true spirit of competition and why to this day there is nothing I would rather do then compete. Things have seemingly changed and pure competition lost its appeal in favor of winning. I wish it wasn’t the case, but I am reminded of this change in sports culture almost daily.

WARNER: NFL Draft success not all about going No. 1 | 'QB ceiling' reflects sharp mind, not big arm

Over the years, we have watched athletes admit to using performance-enhancing drugs and we have seen pitchers caught doctoring balls. We have seen judging scandals, age-related scandals, spying scandals and even scandals where athletes have looked to take out the fiercest competitor before the competition even began.

I know sports has become big business and the difference between winning and losing can mean millions, not to mention the cultural adoration they receive for achieving the highest of heights. This "spirit of competition" is not simply lost on our professional athletes and coaches — I have watched this mentality trickle down and become more prevalent in our youth sports as well. We are now setting an example that rule-breaking is acceptable.

Last weekend, my son played in a 12-and-under basketball tournament. They competed well until they ran into a team that undoubtedly outperformed them. During the game, it came to everyone’s attention that the opposing team had at least one 13-year-old on its roster. We weren’t able to dispute this fact in our game because we didn’t contend the issue before the game started — which seems like we are being told to be suspicious of misconduct.

So before the finals, the other team that had reached the finals was informed so they could make the complaint if they chose. They were about to file the complaint, but realized they had 13 year-olds on their roster, as well. So our team of 11 year olds that was playing up in the 12U division not only was beat by a team that had 13 year olds on it, but watched the final be played between two teams that should have been playing in 13U division.

Without question, my son’s team was greatly outplayed, for the most part by players that I truly believe were within the appropriate age range. They would have beaten us anyways, but does that make it OK? If, at the end of the day, we come to the conclusion that the outcome would have been the same, do we simply turn a blind eye and move on to the next tournament?

In my mind, this issue has nothing to do with winning and losing in most cases. A little trophy for an 11-year-old kid means little in the big picture of life. The issue comes in teaching the next generation of athletes that it is OK to break the rules. The issue is rewarding two teams that have broken the rules by allowing them to continue to play. The issues come in not taking immediate action to make sure the :spirit of competition" stays intact.

In many ways, I have become the man I am today because of what I learned through sports and competition. It’s why I have always pushed my kids to play sports or compete in something. But I am starting to wonder what exactly my young children and all the young athletes are learning from those examples at the highest levels of sport.

Formerly a quarterback for the Rams, Giants and Cardinals, Kurt Warner is currently an analyst for NFL Network and a contributor for Sporting News. With the Rams, Warner won Super Bowl XXXIV and was named Super Bowl and NFL MVP the same year. Off the field, he is involved with his two foundations, First Things First and Treasure House. Read more about them at www.kurtwarner.organd www.treasurehouse.org, hear his analysis at www.nfl.com/nflnetwork, and follow Kurt on Twitter @kurt13warner.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...time-to-get-back-to-the-spirit-of-competition

Athos

Legend
Dude is such a smug SoB.

I can see on his face he's lying thru his modified white teeth.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tell it like it is Kurt.

I'm so sick of hearing - it's trivial, didn't affect the outcome, everybody does it. All these people that say that make me sick. And it's not true. It wasn't trivial, stats show this may have been happening since 2007, it affected alot of outcomes since one or two plays are the difference in alot of games and not everyone else was doing it since their fumble rates pretty much stayed the same after 2006.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Tell it like it is Kurt.

I'm so sick of hearing - it's trivial, didn't affect the outcome, everybody does it. All these people that say that make me sick. And it's not true. It wasn't trivial, stats show this may have been happening since 2007, it affected alot of outcomes since one or two plays are the difference in alot of games and not everyone else was doing it since their fumble rates pretty much stayed the same after 2006.

Like x 10

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The difference is that the Saints had already had a warning and the situation involved injuring other players.

Hey Ripper
When exactly were the Saints warned previously? I don't recall that
I remember Bountygate started with the mauling of Favre and Warner during the 09-10 season - the investigation took a while didn't it? Wasn't what Payton and GW were punished for stem from the 09-10 season?

But besides that...

Didn't NE lose draft picks for cheating previously? Spygate? Doesn't that constitute being "warned" ??

Not sure what specific difference you are talking about, especially considering no punishment has come down on Brady or NE yet -- I'm only suggesting that compared to the severity of the Payton suspension, that cheating the way Brady is being accused of would clearly warrant more than one game.

He's got to be punished to some degree right? What do you think Brady's punishment will be?

rams2050

Starter
You know, of course, that the Cheats were warned in 2004 about deflating their footballs, didn't you? So, this is actually their SECOND transgression. The first came during the 2004 preseason; but there were whispers among other teams that deflation was ongoing even prior to the Colts' playoff game. That is why the Colts had warned the NFL to check for monkey-business with the Cheats' balls.

So, yes, they had been warned. . .

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Hey Ripper
When exactly were the Saints warned previously? I don't recall that
I remember Bountygate started with the mauling of Favre and Warner during the 09-10 season - the investigation took a while didn't it? Wasn't what Payton and GW were punished for stem from the 09-10 season?

But besides that...

Didn't NE lose draft picks for cheating previously? Spygate? Doesn't that constitute being "warned" ??

Not sure what specific difference you are talking about, especially considering no punishment has come down on Brady or NE yet -- I'm only suggesting that compared to the severity of the Payton suspension, that cheating the way Brady is being accused of would clearly warrant more than one game.

He's got to be punished to some degree right? What do you think Brady's punishment will be?

The league sent out a memo to all the teams and they spoke directly to the Saints.

Each violation is different and teams get warned about different violations all the time. The problem with suspensions for the deflated footballs is that there isn't definitive proof against Brady but where the suspension may be appropriate is not cooperating with the investigation. A warning 11 years ago is just too old to even make a difference now. The league offices like everything they did this year was reactive instead of proactive. A memo from the league about tampering with footballs should have come out after the Vikings and Panthers game.

Suspension for 4 games for failing to fully assist with the investigation.

Last edited: