Report: Chargers open to dealing No. 3 overall pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Depends what happens with Cousins and a few other guys.

I REALLY hope Washington screws this up because if we somehow got Cousins, we could continue to reload on D talent.

I'd love for us to be in that "rich getting richer" category for once...

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wentz has the look of a stud AFC Central type QB in the mold of Big Ben. There is absolutely no way the Browns pass on him. Goff's hand measurement sealed the deal for them IMO.

So at this point my thinking is IF you want Wentz you gotta go to 1.

IF you want Goff it's a little more unclear thanks to the Chargers putting their pick up for sale, but at a minimum you gotta get up in front of the 9ers. Does Dallas want him? One way to find out is try to move up with them. That might tip them off if they covet him, so there's that, but worst case you can move to 3 even though that sucks as an option due to having to deal with Spanos.

Lynch is a wildcard. It would not surprise me if some teams had him very high on their board. The 9ers for example could take him because he'd be a ridiculously great fit for Kelly. Certainly the Eagles are another team to consider as a move up point.

As I've mentioned before I don't think the Rams are going to be willing to move up. Still hoping of course but I admit it's very unlikely due to it not helping this regime win now. So chances are we'll have to wait and see if Lynch is there at 15, and even if he is then it's probably going to be "what's the dropoff from him to that next guy we like" vs "how much do we like the WRs that are there."

Ya, I been thinking the same thing. Its just a fact if you want a QB you better have a very high pick. I been hearing the Cook captain thing is over blown. They have great Def guys that happen to be above Cook in the peaking order. So I'm thinking Cook might be our pick in a trade back into Rd 1. Get a stud D player (MLB?) then flip Mid picks for a 20 spot to land Cook.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I am going to first consider which teams will be going after a QB. Browns are a lock (1), I am planning on the Cowboys taking one because of Romo's age and the fact they will not be drafting this high in the near future (2), Eagles... with their new HC I think he will want to fresh with a new QB and let Bradford walk (3), Rams (4), and the Texans @ #22 (5)

If I can't trade up with the Chargers or Ravens to get Goff, I am happy with trading back to #20 or #21 , taking Cook and an extra 3rd & 5th (Approx trade value)....assuming the Eagles take Lynch or pass all together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ya, I been thinking the same thing. Its just a fact if you want a QB you better have a very high pick. I been hearing the Cook captain thing is over blown. They have great Def guys that happen to be above Cook in the peaking order. So I'm thinking Cook might be our pick in a trade back into Rd 1. Get a stud D player (MLB?) then flip Mid picks for a 20 spot to land Cook.

Yeah I do think it was a little overblown. I also think Cook's a little bit of an outlier as a QB, where he's effective in spite of a low completion percentage.

Trade back into round 1 would also be a good approach to get him I think. That might be what the Rams do if they stand pat at 15 and the top 3 are gone as expected.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I wonder if its even possible to trade up to too 3 then again to 1 to land Wentz. Guessing Free Agency would need to go perfectly 1st before this is remotely possible. Man can dream though, right?!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
So to answer all of the conjecture, which RB do we take with our #1 pick this year?

Shawnbb158

Starter
I wonder if its even possible to trade up to too 3 then again to 1 to land Wentz. Guessing Free Agency would need to go perfectly 1st before this is remotely possible. Man can dream though, right?!

I have thought about too. The titans would still get their guy at 3 so I wouldn't think it would cost too much from them to move down but wonder what we would need to give to get 3.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A team trading away most all their future talent pool for the Chargers #3. This might get you ONLY the #3 QB who could have dropped out of the top 10 all together in many cases anyway.

Lets say the #3 could be purchase by the Rams with critical damaging future costs. Then later the Titans traded the top #1 pick to another QB desiring team like the 9ers. Thus it may set up the scenario of where QB's go 1,2,3.

#1-Goff or Wentz
#2-Wentz or Goff
#3-Lynch

I would not pull the lever trading for that Charger #3 pick until the Titans & Browns have made their selections after the draft began. Chances are that trade by the Chargers would have already been made & would be out of the picture if not at that late hour it may cost even more but at least I would know what QB I would be getting. Either Goff or Lynch. One would sure hope that it is Goff.

Ram65

Legend
Another option for the Rams. Got to what #1 pick cost is. Got get this cost. Got to figure out who the Browns take and the rest of the teams ahead of you. Can't rule out other teams trading up too. Only 8 more weeks to find out what the Rams will do.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Don't mortgage the future for one QB that may or may not be a great one. Sure, get on the phone and give them our 1, one of our 2s, a 4th and a 2 next year but that's about it. Oh and they can have Foles if they want also...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
A team trading away most all their future talent pool for the Chargers #3. This might get you ONLY the #3 QB who could have dropped out of the top 10 all together in many cases anyway.

Lets say the #3 could be purchase by the Rams with critical damaging future costs. Then later the Titans traded the top #1 pick to another QB desiring team like the 9ers. Thus it may set up the scenario of where QB's go 1,2,3.

#1-Goff or Wentz
#2-Wentz or Goff
#3-Lynch

I would not pull the lever trading for that Charger #3 pick until the Titans & Browns have made their selections after the draft began. Chances are that trade by the Chargers would have already been made & would be out of the picture if not at that late hour it may cost even more but at least I would know what QB I would be getting. Either Goff or Lynch. One would sure hope that it is Goff.

Bonifay, that's not how draft trades are made. They are constructed with a contingency and not actually executed unless the player in question is available.

In your scenario above, say the Rams want Goff. If someone trades up to #1 and takes Wentz and then Cleveland takes Goff at #2, then no trade.

if the goal is a player, then it's gonna be contingent and you needn't worry that we'll blow a ton of draft capital for someone we may have been able to trade down for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay, that's not how draft trades are made. They are constructed with a contingency and not actually executed unless the player in question is available.

In your scenario above, say the Rams want Goff. If someone trades up to #1 and takes Wentz and then Cleveland takes Goff at #2, then no trade.

if the goal is a player, then it's gonna be contingent and you needn't worry that we'll blow a ton of draft capital for someone we may have been able to trade down for.
There were no contingency clause in the 2012 Rams/Redskins trade.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Right, because the math was simple and the Colts were going to take Andrew Luck at #1. Everyone knew that. So making a deal for the #2 involved zero risk. The deal for #2 was going to be for RG3, but the only question was who traded the Rams for the pick.

If there had been a Mario Williams-type who a team at #2 needed desperately and the Rams sat at #3, then you'd have a point because the Rams made the trade with Washington early and in my scenario they could have been leapfrogged after paying a King's ransom.

But that wasn't the case. The #1 pick essentially was already made and the Rams were on the clock when they made the trade. That was just the funky dynamics of the first overall pick and how that pick can stretch time. Doesn't apply to the third overall and below.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't mortgage the future for one QB that may or may not be a great one. Sure, get on the phone and give them our 1, one of our 2s, a 4th and a 2 next year but that's about it. Oh and they can have Foles if they want also...

I don't see this year's round 1 and 2 pick and next year's round 1 and 2 pick as mortgaging the future, personally, and that would be an offer I'd be happy to make to move way up. My reasoning is the Rams have a strong roster, and are very shrewd with the cap and have the space to fill holes quite well in FA. QBs that make a difference do not come available in FA and the lesser options you find cost more than they should. QBs that make a difference are extremely hard to get in trade. The draft is the way to go, it's what Snead's gonna have to use to finally un-F the position.

So IMO just do it man. Determine which QB you love, which guy you are absolutely sold on, and make it happen. I'd go up all the way for Goff and laugh all the way to the playoffs every year once he comes online because I'm that certain he's gonna be an elite QB in this league. And worst case scenario if Goff struggles to learn the system right out the gate then sure, let's go ball control with whoever wins the QB battle out of Keenum/Foles/Mannion.

I really think it's that simple and hope the Rams don't overcomplicate it through over-analysis.

Ram Pat

Rookie
I don't see this year's round 1 and 2 pick and next year's round 1 and 2 pick as mortgaging the future, personally, and that would be an offer I'd be happy to make to move way up. My reasoning is the Rams have a strong roster, and are very shrewd with the cap and have the space to fill holes quite well in FA. QBs that make a difference do not come available in FA and the lesser options you find cost more than they should. QBs that make a difference are extremely hard to get in trade. The draft is the way to go, it's what Snead's gonna have to use to finally un-F the position.

So IMO just do it man. Determine which QB you love, which guy you are absolutely sold on, and make it happen. I'd go up all the way for Goff and laugh all the way to the playoffs every year once he comes online because I'm that certain he's gonna be an elite QB in this league. And worst case scenario if Goff struggles to learn the system right out the gate then sure, let's go ball control with whoever wins the QB battle out of Keenum/Foles/Mannion.

I really think it's that simple and hope the Rams don't overcomplicate it through over-analysis.
I would love that exact trade for Wentz instead. Use the Philly 2nd on Doctson or Thomas

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's if the Rams are the only team looking to trade up to #3.
If multiple teams are looking to move up to #3, they take a deal with no contingency

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I say go to 1 and get the QB you really want. Pay the price.

#1, #2, #2 and 2017 #1 -- anything more than that and I'm looking at other options.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I have thought about too. The titans would still get their guy at 3 so I wouldn't think it would cost too much from them to move down but wonder what we would need to give to get 3.

This is true, I guess once all 3 QBs pro days are finished we should be able to have a better pulse on trading up and the cost etc. etc.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
That's if the Rams are the only team looking to trade up to #3.
If multiple teams are looking to move up to #3, they take a deal with no contingency

Any FO giving up a King's ransom in advance of the draft to move up to an uncertain position, meaning #1 or #2 if #1 is a certainty like Luck was, deserves to be fired on the spot.

It's one thing to mortgage one's house to buy something of uncertain, but possibly immense value. That's gamble enough. It's another to mortgage one's house and not even know what will be available when you MUST purchase something... No GM making such a deal would have his job the next day.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any FO giving up a King's ransom in advance of the draft to move up to an uncertain position, meaning #1 or #2 if #1 is a certainty like Luck was, deserves to be fired on the spot.

It's one thing to mortgage one's house to buy something of uncertain, but possibly immense value. That's gamble enough. It's another to mortgage one's house and not even know what will be available when you MUST purchase something... No GM making such a deal would have his job the next day.
I don't disagree, but this is incongruent to what was said before. Teams don't make trades with contingencies, there's no benefit to the team with the asset. If the Rams are going to trade up, it will be during the draft. Like they did when they wanted Tavon, they had feelers out to a couple teams in the top 10