'Remodel' mode: Can the Rams return to Super Bowl form in 2023?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No reason the Rams can't be as competitive in 2023 as we were in 2021, ... Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Ramsey & Wagner are all likely to return. Hopefully the nightmare injury scenarios we were afflicted with last year are behind us, knowing this might happen to any team at any given time. The Rams still face a sketchy OL plot line in need of remedy, but we do have depth if not proven exceptional starters. We also still need to improve our Edge rush in a major way. When examining some of our other unit weaknesses, it might be easy to conclude that hope for 2023 is fleeting, although we are not without our strengths.
For the Rams to remain play-off competitive, I believe we'll require an extraordinary draft along with a few quality trades to push us over the hump, and while this won't be easy, Snead & McVay can start earning their pay raise by getting it right. jmo.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Sounds like the Eagles are being handed the nfc already but I guess it means there won’t be a lot of cub competition when the rams remodel.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Sounds like the Eagles are being handed the nfc already but I guess it means there won’t be a lot of cub competition when the rams remodel.
The Eagles are losing a lot in FA this yr and they have little wiggle room when it comes to restructures. So they will have to pay Hurts and that will thin out their roster a bit. They have to draft well.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Rams are fully capable of ‘fixing’ an OL in one offseason.

They’ve done it twice before in ‘17 and ‘20.

808RAMS

Rookie
Name
Spencer
"For Los Angeles, the reason is clear: The Rams are nearly $14 million over the salary cap and have six players with cap hits of $20-plus million. Two of those players, wide receiver Cooper Kupp ($27.8. million) and quarterback Matthew Stafford ($20 million), aren’t going anywhere. The other three — defensive tackle Aaron Donald ($26 million), cornerback Jalen Ramsey ($25.2 million) and pass-rusher Leonard Floyd ($22 million) — might be."

Isn't that 5 players?

But the point is valid; $14M over the cap and 5 cap hits of >$20M... Something has to give.
Are there other teams that are that much over the cap? How do they do it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bonifay what kind of retarded site is this? You can’t see shit unless you give away all your meta data.
Boni's commodore 64 has no problems loading that site.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
No reason the Rams can't be as competitive in 2023 as we were in 2021, ... Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Ramsey & Wagner are all likely to return. Hopefully the nightmare injury scenarios we were afflicted with last year are behind us, knowing this might happen to any team at any given time. The Rams still face a sketchy OL plot line in need of remedy, but we do have depth if not proven exceptional starters. We also still need to improve our Edge rush in a major way. When examining some of our other unit weaknesses, it might be easy to conclude that hope for 2023 is fleeting, although we are not without our strengths.
For the Rams to remain play-off competitive, I believe we'll require an extraordinary draft along with a few quality trades to push us over the hump, and while this won't be easy, Snead & McVay can start earning their pay raise by getting it right. jmo.
Part of me sees it this way.

Another part wonders if its works that way anymore. Can you really do it again with the old bunch? This ERA of football doesn’t feel like it anymore.

We may need to freshen up some of the old guard to establish a new fire.

dang

Legend
Watching rerun of Last years Super Bowl and seeing Donald/Gaines/AshawnRob on sideline together/energized/engaged. Man I think other than finding an Edge to put serious pressure on the QB - keeping that front line or a facsimile of that front line is priority.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I really think our injuries are being greatly underestimated by the media and such.
If we can turn the tide on those injuries (granted a huge if), I think we’re right back in the thick of things SB contending wise.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Part of me sees it this way.

Another part wonders if its works that way anymore. Can you really do it again with the old bunch? This ERA of football doesn’t feel like it anymore.

We may need to freshen up some of the old guard to establish a new fire.

I agree with this 'freshening', that's why my mock reflects trading Floyd, Higbee & Van Jefferson while accepting that certain players will be lost to free agency. I'm personally prepared to see A'Shawn Robinson, Baker Mayfield, Matt Gay, Troy Hill, Taylor Rapp, Brandon Powell, Malcolm Brown, Coleman Shelton & David Long move on if that's how it plays out. I'd like for us to establish that new fire thru trades and a stronger than typical draft, not free agency which will hurt our 2024 Comp picks & CAP. We have many young players ready to step in and up imo, guys like Atwell, Bobby Brown, Cobie Durant, Michael Hoecht, Lance McCutcheon, Larrell Murchison, Ben Skowronek, Kyren Williams, Grant Haley, Jordan Fuller, etc., ... then there's 6 of our 8 draft picks from last year who received little or no snaps for various reasons, and 10 potential draft picks yet to be named from the 2023 class.
I'm confident the Rams can play extremely well, play-off well, with the right pre-season make-over and some terrific coaching.
jmo.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
I doubt we return to the playoffs with that. Stafford deserves more respect.

People were saying that about the OL they had when they won. Their best OL under McVay was in 2018 and they got to the Super Bowl but lost it. You aren't going to get to the Super Bowl with a bunch of rookies. Look at their needs and their draft picks. Look at their cap situation which will limit their ability to sign top FA talent.

Looking at their roster, cap and draft that is probably the best OL they can put together this year. It's more talented than you think. The only real question mark is C. They drafted Bruss to play RG, and Jackson played very well at OG last year. Shelton played well last year as well, better at C than OG.

They have Thomas and Brewer who can play RG. All I'm saying is that I don't expect the Rams to target OL as a priority this draft. Most mid round draft picks need at least a year to develop. It's rare to find a "Super Bowl" caliber OL who can play as a rookie in the 3rd thru 6th rounds. They need someone to develop young raw talent thats why they got another OL coach.

We need to be realistic about what moves the Rams can make. They also need to stop with the slow developing pass plays. Stafford holds the ball too damn long. That part is on McVay and his play design.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Rams are missing Whitworth, Miller, and OBJ from the 2021 championship roster. Imo it will be hard to regain the traction they brought, especially with more than a few other holes to fill. Plus resignings and cap challenges.

Imo McVay and Snead are facing a big challenge. It may well require their best offseason yet if the Rams are going to compete for a title this year.