Regular v Post Season performance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Lately, every year, there’s been a point in the season when the Patriots looked like their reign had ended. It usually happened early but as recently as last season, they lost bad games late. And yet, their defense seemed impregnable against the Chargers, Chiefs (first half), and Rams in the postseason.

Last year, the Rams defense disappointed against the run in the regular season. Peters was toasted so often I thought his name was Melba, not Marcus. Suh seemed to be invisible. Joyner and Brockers flat disappeared from impact. I feared Zeke would run wild, Kamara would juke untouched, and Brees/ Brady would carve the defense like Thanksgiving turkey in the playoffs.. But no, a championship level defense transcended the regular season doldrums. It’s almost as though the whole plan was to build for post-season success by Wade and his staff... much like the Pats do most years.

Why is this relevant to the offseason moves we are currently witnessing? The additions of Suh and Talib last season and Weddle plus Matthews this season are part and parcel of a post-season plan. Vets like them will get the Whitworth/Sully treatment during the pre-season and game week preparation. Their bodies will be monitored for optimum effectiveness not just for the first 16 weeks...but with an eye toward the final three through the planned SB run. The belief here is that the team that recently was perennially the league’s youngest required more veteran discipline, calm, and focus. The long ranged vision the Rams have is evident in how Gurley was bubble wrapped late in the year even with a Championship at stake.

The hidden genius in all this is how the Rams draft developmental talent (Noteboom, Allen, Obo, JFM) and give them the vet reps to mature at an optimum pace. And like the NE formula, they acquire under the radar vets from other teams (NRC, Woods, Fowler, Blythe) that are better system fits to their scheme than their previous jobs afforded.

This is an intentional system. A method patterned by NE that Kroenke communicated when he hired Fisher and Snead. McVay and Phillips added panache to the formula. The result of sustainable excellence has yet to be proven over the long term in Los Angeles, but in my 50 years plus of studying and supporting this team, I’ve never witnessed a stronger base than I see before me now. Balanced excellence is a theme this staff embodies.

It sure is fun again to be a Ram fan...even in the Arctic Abyss that is the football offseason.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno. Vermeil and them built a juggernaut in 1999, they just couldn't draft worth a damn after the Super Bowl.

This does have the look of a sustained winning effort, that's for sure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I dunno. Vermeil and them built a juggernaut in 1999, they just couldn't draft worth a damn after the Super Bowl.

This does have the look of a sustained winning effort, that's for sure.

Agreed. Vermiel showed the importance of ownership and front office. Rams basically imploded and even a great dude like DV couldn't stop it, so he just got out of their way as the class dude he was.

This time things are definitely different. But I do think the Rams need to be careful to ensure enough young cost controlled talent is coming in.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Vermeil’s departure was the result of an internal power struggle that created division and eventually imploded. Today’s Rams suffer no such ego threat. McVay understands that humility empowers his control. He deflects personal credit and directs praise to others while demanding excellence from himself and throughout the organization. The standard is the standard. Simple, sleek, effective.

Snead’s ability to identify late round talent and McVay’s ability to develop it is the sustainable basis of this team

nighttrain

Legend
Agreed. Vermiel showed the importance of ownership and front office. Rams basically imploded and even a great dude like DV couldn't stop it, so he just got out of their way as the class dude he was.

This time things are definitely different. But I do think the Rams need to be careful to ensure enough young cost controlled talent is coming in.
Add in no Ziggy, Shaw or Suliman (spelling) the self proclaimed throat slasher.All three serious cancers.
train

Ram65

Legend
I'm looking forward to seeing the final product on the field this year for the Rams. It's great the Rams are moving in a few older and a few younger pieces in the starting line up yet keeping a very solid base is a great formula. Great to see vets getting rest and young guys getting valuable practice time. This is the year the Rams show they will compete year in year out for championships. From ownership to the new stadium the Rams have it going on.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Early in last season officials were throwing flags for "roughing the passer" for little more than falling on top of the QB. I believe Wade had them dial back so as not to give teams that 1st down instead of a 4th and long due to a bogus call from rushing the QB. It played into Suh's lackadaisical regular season performance.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you'll notice, both Suh and AD will hit QBs, but they'll give them a mighty shove instead of hitting them.

That shove is often worse than being tackled because of the whiplash of the initial shove as well as the possibility of slamming one's head on the turf.

but...it's legal. We saw plenty of times that QBs were reluctant to step up in the pocket after a few "shoves".

Couple that with a focus on the strip sack in a spinning motion and we just didn't struggle like other teams.

Then again, that's technique and much like Pete Carroll's "heads up" technique that I've said many times in the past should be the standard tackling technique for the NFL and all levels below. The NFL's new "heads up" program shows that they agree.

Anyway, the Rams technique for DL/EDGE rushers to sack the QB will help Clay.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Early in last season officials were throwing flags for "roughing the passer" for little more than falling on top of the QB. I believe Wade had them dial back so as not to give teams that 1st down instead of a 4th and long due to a bogus call from rushing the QB. It played into Suh's lackadaisical regular season performance.

Suh was the same guy in the 2018 regular season that we saw in Miami. He wasn't interested in doing the work to anchor in vs the run until they neared the playoffs. The dude is a businessman. Best of luck to him somewhere else and sit back and get ready to enjoy a young NT addition who will leave it all on the field.