Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Looks faster than Kupp but similar YAC moves and sticky hands. I like what I see but what I haven’t seen too much of him. Gone by very early R2 so how would Rams pull that off?
Kupp is more sneaky fast but I love how he cuts on a dime. Good question, but you know McSnead always finds ways to make things happen.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I think the argument being discussed is in the scenario that Bowers falls. If he gets past the Jets, and is available in the 12-14 range, the Rams may have interest and their 1st and 2nd could get it done.
The key is *MAY* be interested ... maybe they are. And they should be interested in doing that for and edge, I argued.

Snead has described the system. Their board is structured in Tiers, arranged in most acute need from greatest to least. All players don't make it on the board. If a player is not a scheme fit, they're not on the board. If a player has serious enough character/red flag issues, they're off the board. If they absolutely don't need a 3T or a QB, those players wouldn't even be on the board. That addresses your two examples.
Yes, that is my basic understanding ... need plays a part. And there is no question about what greatest needs are.

This is YOUR way to get there. I strongly doubt it's the Rams way. May I suggest that the Rams look at team building and strategizing differently than you? You seem very need-focused. Based on my interpretation of their history, I believe the Rams to be more impact-player focused as @Memphis Ram has pointed out.
Yes, need is part of the big picture ... as you just explained, need is part of the equation and I have been maintaining it. But have been very clear if the edge they want is gone don't reach. I have never, ever, or would never want to reach for anyone that high. If edge isn't there get the BPA but not the BPA that would be redundant. You want to draft an interior OL? No. We have that set. Or 5 years ago, what if BPA played 3-t?

So, it is my opinion that Turner would not be a reach if he fell. And since I consider Turner and Bowers about of equal value, I would take him ... that's all this is.

As far as Rams "way" sure, they have what they do and it has been successful. But they have blown it,too. And in 2023 there was a shift in that they took player of greatest need ... an IOL. And it was a need because they went for the so-called "elite" Tutu. the impact player.

And could bring up other examples.

Snead is always talking about getting the elite player and filling in around them. He's called them various names. Load-bearing walls (Stafford, Kupp, AD), game wreckers (AD, Ramsey), difference makers, etc. Other than words, their actions have shown their belief system. They've consistently traded 1st and 2nd round picks for these difference-makers.
Yes, and an elite edge is a game-wrecker, a load-bearing wall. Rams need better pass rush. I know it, you know it they know it. They is no need for them to target one TE which is a position that is not filled by game wreckers or even load bearing walls.

The best TEs who are game wreckers---and there are maybe 5 in NFL, came in rounds 2, 3, and 5. By and large TE has never been a load-bearing wall for McVay, not a game wrecker.

TE position rarely makes a huge difference.

So the idea that they may package multiple picks to move up for a player they deem elite is not far-fetched. In fact, I'd say it has a strong probability of happening.
Based on? When was the last time they moved up like that in first round? For Goff and QB is a game-changing position?

So, based on their actions they trade down more. Last time they made moves high was 2019, down to get Rapp plus picks. And went to to get Everett with picks. before that, you;d have to go to probably Austin in 2013 they traded up and got burned. So not saying impossible -- anything always possible --

But their actions don't match what you are suggesting. They went down to get a QB. But they go down almost all the other times in premium rounds for non-QBs...so to me, you characterizations are not supported by actions.

Sure, they have the needs you identified above. Who's to say they can't fill those in the 2nd to 7th rounds?
Or, who says they cannot fill them one of them in round 1 --- whether edge, CB, WR, DI?

I am not saying get only an edge -- get the BPA among the needs.

Last year they may have had the best Rams draft of all time and they didn't have a 1st round pick.
And they filled the greatest needs first--IOL and edge. Could even argue that DT was area of need, based on Rams inside out philosophy of lines.

ironically after getting burned on Tutu the "weapon", the "impact guy"

I seriously doubt they're panicking about filling those needs like it sounds you are.
Who says they are panicking? Filling needs is not panicking. Not sure where that comes from. I seriously doubt they are not going to fill needs, based on their system. This isn't Don Klosterman with a solid foundation of a team and you know guys will be there a long time so he'd usually go BPA ... all teams figure needs in because with free agency needs can happen fast.

And they also can fill a need a year in advance. We didn't know it, but Turner was possibly one if they had an inkling that 2023 was Donald's last year. At very least it was insurance and a prospect to develop if they did get one more year out of Donald.

They will get an edge, they will get a DT ... and I think there is a strong possibility they were be taken with premium picks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there is about a 40% probability they move up.
Science says there's a 60% chance they trade their 1st and 2nd round picks for a new swimming pool for the players at the training facility.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree Im just going on record after weeks of babbling I feel number 7 Odunze for all the reasons you said and I'd be ecstatic.

Having said that if it doesn't happen I think the other half of my babbling has been about Pearsall whom I love. Those Demoff comments were just a bit eerie with the right about of doubt sprinkled in could be playing with fans but also made a lot of sense when it got to the cap analysis
Yes, I could get behind a trade up for Odunze, but the price would be steep. Maybe if he made it to the Bears at 9. That would be a ten spot jump. That would likely take the Rams first and second round pick. Maybe with a pick added later.

Randy Mueller said Odunze is his number 1 receiver. There’s no telling. Maybe he is gone by pick four.
So much ink spilled for a guy (Bowers) who won't even be there for us and who it would be terribly cost prohibitive for us to jump up and draft.
The draft guy on Sharp football podcast had Bowers in the 20’s.
For one, I happen the love lead-blocking plays, so I watch for them. And at some point I was keeping track of how many times Skow did it. They did it for a while, but then abandoned it. The most snaps they had with Skow as a FB was 19 and that was about 1/3 of the 2022 total... 66 plays Skow was a FB

How many in 2023?

Five.

So, you tell me --- is that enough to matter? Looks more like desparaion was the mother of invention ... it was a 1-2 game gimmick, I think ... when they were having online issues

Yeah, I get it, but as I said --- they did something 66 times in 2022 with a guy and then 5 times the next year. I am suggesting that is not a change of scheme.

I don't know what they will do. But to trade up to where Bowers will be would cost more than just a 2nd round pick... so, you think he's so special that Rams would give a #1, #2 and maybe the late #3 to get to 8-9 in the draft -- you have to get ahead of the Jets

So you think it's possible Rams give up 2 premium picks to swap #1 picks for him?
Would YOU do that?

Yes, aware of basics, not specifics.

Within reason. Not an absolute.

In 2017, for example if there was a 3-tech available and fell to 19 and they already had Donald--they don't take him.
In 2018, say a QB fell to where they were, a tier 1 guy --- they wouldn't take him because at that time they had Goff.

As I said, you have to presume Bowers is going to the Jets --- so, to get him you need to get to 8 or 9 ... to get there based on both trade charts --- you give the #19 the #52 and #99 ... 3 picks.

Rams need edge for sure, DT for sure, also other needs --- so you think they would pick a TE, even one who will lead block maybe 66 times in a season (stretching it) while giving away a 52 overall pick and the 99?

Not seeing it. I make it a habit of saying never say never, but Rams are on verge of being division champs the way to get there is to replace the snaps of Williams ... however they want to do it and have an effective edge ... and also they could use a WR and CB and some other things.

You cannot address that with a 1st and a 3rds-- IMO
Who knows where Bowers will go. Like I said above a guy on the Sharp football podcast had him in the 20’s. He made an argument that you’d probably like. He said that if a team picks him to be as a versatile move tight end he’s very good, but if they plan to use him as a slot type of big receiver, then there are better actual big slot type receivers than he is with better measurables. So, while he thinks he’s good he doesn’t have him in the top 10.

If they tried to move up for a receiver last year then is an attempt at Odunze is possible.
Now, if the Rams traded up for Penix, I wouldn’t be excited. However, Breer is reporting that NFl head coaches like Penix a lot more than the media guys do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It’s misinformation season, however, if you noticed, every year there seems to be some truthful nuggets in the reporting.

These reports of McVay liking Penix could be one of them. I’m hoping not. But, since they were trying to trade for Sam Howell, that could mean that they are definitely. In the market for a QB to groom as a starter, and it isn’t Stetson Bennett.

Would anyone here be excited if Penix was the Rams first round pick? I wouldn’t but QBs always get picked higher than they are rated.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
usIt’s misinformation season, however, if you noticed, every year there seems to be some truthful nuggets in the reporting.

These reports of McVay liking Penix could be one of them. I’m hoping not. But, since they were trying to trade for Sam Howell, that could mean that they are definitely. In the market for a QB to groom as a starter, and it isn’t Stetson Bennett.nt to plan for the future

Would anyone here be excited if Penix was the Rams first round pick? I wouldn’t but QBs always get me if therepicked higher than they are rated.
We don't know if Stafford has had a talk about his future with the Rams being brief or not. He could surprise us as AD surprised us, and the Rams want to get their future QB.

I doubt it - but it wouldn't shock me if there were a surprise.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Now, if the Rams traded up for Penix, I wouldn’t be excited. However, Breer is reporting that NFl head coaches like Penix a lot more than the media guys do.

Penix has been mocked to the Rams in the 2nd round a few times over the last week. I don't think they would take him in the 1st round but I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade up from 52 to early 2nd round for him.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Penix to the Rams only makes sense if Stafford has told them this is his last year (maybe…slightly maybe…if he says 2025 is last). Otherwise that valuable pick needs to be used on something that provides on field benefits early. Not sit permanently in the sidelines for 1-2 years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Bowers reminds me of a young Gronk…

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
The key is *MAY* be interested ... maybe they are. And they should be interested in doing that for and edge, I argued.
If there was a surefire elite edge in this draft like Will Anderson from last year, maybe they would be. But given Latu's medical concerns, it's arguable that this class doesn't have an elite edge. Many experts say Turner is the top guy in this class but is not Will Anderson's equivalent.

Yes, that is my basic understanding ... need plays a part. And there is no question about what greatest needs are.

Of course, need is a part. I would add, though, since they use Tiers that means talent is a larger part of the equation. Say Edge is Need #1 and WR is Need #4. A Tier 1 WR is > Tier 2 Edge.

There is always going to be a question of what greatest needs are since we're fans. We're not privy to young player development and other pertinent info.

Also, team building strategy dictates need. And we're not in the room when team discussions are going on. What if the Rams had a discussion earlier this year that essentially states: 'Let's build an elite offense this year and work on defense next year. This year, we'll win games like 35-28. Further, Kupp is declining, Stafford will retire soon. Let's go get another load bearing wall on the offensive side of the ball and plug defensive holes very cheaply - i.e. cheap vets and later in the draft.'

In this strategy, an X receiver, RB #2, and maybe some IOL depth may then be considered high needs since they could be deemed necessary to have the top offense in the NFL.

Don't assume you or I know what THEY feel their greatest need is.

So, it is my opinion that Turner would not be a reach if he fell. And since I consider Turner and Bowers about of equal value, I would take him ... that's all this is.

If the Rams consider them of equal value, then yeah I think most agree that Turner would be the pick. The debate is over whether Turner is as much of a difference-maker as Bowers. I see Bowers rated higher by most supposed experts but who knows what the Rams' eval is.

Yes, and an elite edge is a game-wrecker, a load-bearing wall.

Maybe none of the edges in this class are elite.

Based on? When was the last time they moved up like that in first round? For Goff and QB is a game-changing position?

Snead has never drafted in the mid 1st round since 2012. Both times pre-McVay he had a mid-round 1st he traded up. Tavon Austin and Goff.

In the McVay era, they haven't had 1st round picks because they always traded them for impact players. Hence, the 'fuck them picks' motto. Those actions do match what I'm suggesting and they are strong evidence they like to use 1st round picks for elite players. Every way they use draft capital is relevant evidence, not just what they do on draft day.

I am not saying get only an edge -- get the BPA among the needs.

Agreed. BPA among needs. It doesn't sound like you believe that though because you keep strenuously arguing that there is no way they would trade up for someone like Bowers. And in your arguments, you keep saying 'They need an edge...' But if they feel Bowers (or other elite offensive player) is a superior player to any of the edge players, then they very well may make a move up.

Basically, be more open to the possibility.

ironically after getting burned on Tutu the "weapon", the "impact guy"

Tutu was never an impact player. Are you mixing the term "impact player" with "skill player?"

Who says they are panicking? Filling needs is not panicking. Not sure where that comes from. I seriously doubt they are not going to fill needs, based on their system. This isn't Don Klosterman with a solid foundation of a team and you know guys will be there a long time so he'd usually go BPA ... all teams figure needs in because with free agency needs can happen fast.

No one is saying they are panicking. I was saying you sound like YOU are panicking. Maybe you are not; it just sounds that way to me with your very narrow focus on needs.

They will get an edge, they will get a DT ... and I think there is a strong possibility they were be taken with premium picks.

Agreed. I expect to see an edge and DT, maybe multiple ones, in the first 100 picks. But that doesn't mean 19 will be used on one.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Bowers reminds me of a young Gronk…
Ahahahahahahahaha. Look, there's a lot to like about Bowers but he's nothing like Gronk.

Gronk was a fully formed Y out of the womb (or at least when he got to NFL). He could do it all from in-line and was a devastating blocker. He was 6'6'' and 265. He was a beast.

Bowers is 6'4'' 230.

Like Bowers, there's a lot to like there. He's not Gronk, not even a young Gronk.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Penix to the Rams only makes sense if Stafford has told them this is his last year (maybe…slightly maybe…if he says 2025 is last). Otherwise that valuable pick needs to be used on something that provides on field benefits early. Not sit permanently in the sidelines for 1-2 years.
What about the Jordan Love example?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
If there was a surefire elite edge in this draft like Will Anderson from last year, maybe they would be. But given Latu's medical concerns, it's arguable that this class doesn't have an elite edge. Many experts say Turner is the top guy in this class but is not Will Anderson's equivalent.
One does not have to be Will Anderson (a top 5 guy) to be worthy of being picked at 19, if Turner is there. There are impact edges that are not top 5 guys. I am not saying Rams should trade up to top 5 to have a chance to take him

I've only said that if he's there are 19 it would be great.

I don't know anyone here, not me anyway, that says Turner is as good as Anderson - a bit of a straw man there.

Anderson being better does not mean Turner is bad (for example). Rams and other teams will evaluate him on what he can do and if his game translates to the NFL. So far, if the reports we are talking about can be believed he's an elite talent.

Finished product? No. But he's considered one of the best available. Do I KNOW that for sure? No. Just like no one KNOWS Bowers will be great either.

Of course, need is a part. I would add, though, since they use Tiers that means talent is a larger part of the equation. Say Edge is Need #1 and WR is Need #4. A Tier 1 WR is > Tier 2 Edge.
That is all I have been saying. Need is PART.

There is always going to be a question of what greatest needs are since we're fans. We're not privy to young player development and other pertinent info.
Of course. It applies to me and it applies to you and to all the draftniks. If we are going to go that route no one can say anything about anything concerning football. No Walter Football, no Kiper, no Mayock, etc.

But we have people around here saying Rams 2-gapped the NT, or other aspects of the defense they were totally wrong about. Didn't stop them from discussing it. Fans were not privy to the Tutu/Humphrey decision or the Isiah Pead decision.

No one had Rams taking Kobie Turner in round 3---was called a reach by many. but they knew what they were doing on that one.

What I see is fans on all chat boards, including me, who don't know anything compared to what Rams coaches, draft guys, McSnead know.

So, not sure what you are trying to say --- we shouldn't discuss? Or one idea from one poster has more merit than others?

Also, team building strategy dictates need. And we're not in the room when team discussions are going on. What if the Rams had a discussion earlier this year that essentially states: 'Let's build an elite offense this year and work on defense next year. This year, we'll win games like 35-28. Further, Kupp is declining, Stafford will retire soon. Let's go get another load bearing wall on the offensive side of the ball and plug defensive holes very cheaply - i.e. cheap vets and later in the draft.'
Agree. I have always maintained that. yes, that could be what they are saying, let's win 35-28. OR----they could be saying if we can keep teams to 20 points (McVay's philosophy has been just that since the Fangio-style defense was installed in 2020.

So, yes, Kupp is getting hurt and they need to get a developmental QB --- and like you say---maybe they will address them in later rounds. They don't have to get then in round 1 or 2.

Maybe they want a load-bearing wall on defense...and edge, or DT or CB .... and edges particularly, historically come higher in the draft. There are few successes past 2nd round than there are good TEs. Good TEs can be had later more easily than edges, just look at the results.

Also, as far as plugging holes----yes, they did that ... and brought in 2 CBs ... so, to me, that lowered the need to get a CB but if they did get one and he was a top 7-8 that dropped to 19 and all the good edges are gone, I'd be fine with it.

But the fact is Rams did not address edge in FA this year in that way, which further argues that an edge in the premium picks will happen and it could be as high as 19 or a trade down or up. All are possible.

In this strategy, an X receiver, RB #2, and maybe some IOL depth may then be considered high needs since they could be deemed necessary to have the top offense in the NFL.
Yes, and also edge, CB, WR, DT could also be considered high needs by the Rams.

Don't assume you or I know what THEY feel their greatest need is.
Never assumed I know what they think internally. But I can see that the lack of production on the edge is a problem. And Jourdan has reported that are looking that way as well as others.

If the Rams consider them of equal value, then yeah I think most agree that Turner would be the pick. The debate is over whether Turner is as much of a difference-maker as Bowers. I see Bowers rated higher by most supposed experts but who knows what the Rams' eval is.
That is all I have been saying.

Maybe none of the edges in this class are elite.
And maybe they are. I don't know.

Snead has never drafted in the mid 1st round since 2012. Both times pre-McVay he had a mid-round 1st he traded up. Tavon Austin and Goff.

In the McVay era, they haven't had 1st round picks because they always traded them for impact players. Hence, the 'fuck them picks' motto. Those actions do match what I'm suggesting and they are strong evidence they like to use 1st round picks for elite players. Every way they use draft capital is relevant evidence, not just what they do on draft day.
No, disagree here with the last part. I agree with the trading part but that is not the discussion. If they were going to do that, they'd have already done it. This year, they are going to draft.

The discussion is if to trade up for Bowers and there is as much evidence that they move back (if not more) than move up.

Yes, they use 1st round picks for impact players---Goff, for example, Austin for example, but also trade down, Rapp, they used their top pick to trade down. And did it with Brockers.

I am not a fan of saying "Rams do this, and when it's pointed out that that is not the case, the debate changes to "well Snead has not drafted mid 1st since 2012"

What we know is when it comes to the draft he has move up and down, 1st round ... so there is no track record of going after any brand of impact player in round 1. In 2013 they did both --- up for Austin, down for Ogletree.

That is the disagreement. I know I don't have Snead pegged as a guy who does what you said he did. I do agree Rams have used a lot of #1 to get guys they need. And I fairly aware of the "F them picks" moniker. I may have heard it before.

But they are not doing it this year---unless it's draft day ... and some elite player become available.

Agreed. BPA among needs. It doesn't sound like you believe that though because you keep strenuously arguing that there is no way they would trade up for someone like Bowers.
I do believe that and have said it multiple times and for years on another board. Just because you cannot see that I have said it...does not make it false.

Let me say it again----so folks understand --- I think philosophy should be BPA among needs. I will say it again "BPA among needs"

Tutu was never an impact player. Are you mixing the term "impact player" with "skill player?"
Tutu was CONSIDERED an impact player. He was taken in the 2nd round. He was not just some skill player. He was supposed to be the new toy. Just because he failed does not mean Rams didn't think he was an impact player. You don't take someone outside the mainstream (too small) unless you think he is an impact player.

Disagree with you on that.

No one is saying they are panicking. I was saying you sound like YOU are panicking. Maybe you are not; it just sounds that way to me with your very narrow focus on needs.
You are simply mischaracterizing what I am saying.

I could very easily say others are panicking so as to trade up for a TE, no matter how good, for fear of missing out. And calling THAT a "very narrow focus" on BPA. I am not doing that, but it seems like this may be projection "We cannot miss on Bowers, he's greatest think since sliced bread". I've only maintained -- yeah maybe. And maybe not. I don't know and I've seen a lot of hype on a lot of players and nothing says this might end up being a good TE who does not average 70-80 catches for 1000 yards and 10 TDs...and that is the only kind of TE you would want to draft in the top 10 or so (of wherever he goes). You can get good protection from 2nd, 3rd, 5th round.

BPA among needs --- is all I have maintained.

But
Agreed. I expect to see an edge and DT, maybe multiple ones, in the first 100 picks. But that doesn't mean 19 will be used on one.
No one said DT or edge would be used at 19. I said it could be. It could be a WR, or a CB or an Edge. But they NEED one and will get one in the premium rounds, IMO. They won't reach for one nor will the skip one. It's pretty simple to me.

So, if they do address those in the premium picks they are filling needs. And that is all I have been maintaining. I have never, ever, nor would I ever say overdraft or reach for anyone.

BPA among needs ... no over-drafting, no reaching, no Tutus ... (a luxury thought-to-be impact guy) Same with Austin. Was going to be a "weapon".

Could be a WR, slot, RB, kick returner, punt returner ... All of it. yes, he did all that. They were right. But how WELL did he did them overall?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Yes, I could get behind a trade up for Odunze, but the price would be steep. Maybe if he made it to the Bears at 9. That would be a ten spot jump. That would likely take the Rams first and second round pick. Maybe with a pick added later.

Randy Mueller said Odunze is his number 1 receiver. There’s no telling. Maybe he is gone by pick four.

The draft guy on Sharp football podcast had Bowers in the 20’s.

Who knows where Bowers will go. Like I said above a guy on the Sharp football podcast had him in the 20’s. He made an argument that you’d probably like. He said that if a team picks him to be as a versatile move tight end he’s very good, but if they plan to use him as a slot type of big receiver, then there are better actual big slot type receivers than he is with better measurables. So, while he thinks he’s good he doesn’t have him in the top 10.

If they tried to move up for a receiver last year then is an attempt at Odunze is possible.
Check Rich hills draft chart it's not that crazy

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I didn't see that but I am NOT against Bowers. It's really not about that. If Rams take him, fine. If they trade up to take him, fine. I am not going to worry about it---

But I have studied edges and the production drop off after the 2nd round ... Byron Young may end up being the best 3rd rd+ in this century. Maybe.

I just know there have been TEs talked about over the years and few have lived up to the hype. And there are examples of TEs going later that did very well.

I don't care who Rams draft, I trust them, they have earned by trust, even with the blunders --- they also brought home a ring. That is what I go by.

But to your point, if Rams grabbed a slot -- fine.

My main point was only that edge is the biggest need. And I main it need to be done early in draft. If not 1st round then 2nd round. But I was never wanting a reach. If fact, all things being equal, I'd prefer a trade down, get an extra 3rd and change, and get BPA at maybe 25 ... BOA among the needs, which includes more the edge... CB, WR (X or slot), DI... getting another 3rd would be great because there are good DTs that come from 3rd round, moreso than edges.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Several analysts have been banging the Brian Thomas drum very loudly. A few suggesting he should be in that top 3 (WR) mix. The idea is that he is so elite as a deep threat, that he is more valuable then a guy like Oduze, who is really good at about everything. I'm not sure I agree with this stance, but, it suggests that perhaps some NFL teams feel the same way and he will be long gone by 19. I wouldn't be upset with that.

dang

Legend
Several analysts have been banging the Brian Thomas drum very loudly. A few suggesting he should be in that top 3 (WR) mix. The idea is that he is so elite as a deep threat, that he is more valuable then a guy like Oduze, who is really good at about everything. I'm not sure I agree with this stance, but, it suggests that perhaps some NFL teams feel the same way and he will be long gone by 19. I wouldn't be upset with that.
If Thomas is still on the board - dangle that carrot in front of the Bills. They need 2 (not just 1) WRs. Or if the Rams see him as a future 1B with Nacua call his name at R1.19