Reasons for WR at 19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I had Mitchell over Thomas until I read about his taking plays off and blocking effort.

And I'd go Pearsall or Legette before even considering Franklin.

Speed aside, the guy I really like is Polk.
Isn't Pearsall a pretty horrid blocker too? Though heard it might be more technique issue than want to.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The more I think and hear about it, I think the Rams want Brian Thomas Jr at 19. He had the fastest flying 20 at the combine, faster then the record holding 40 yard dash Worthy even. All while being much bigger. That flying 20 is exactly how he got deep so often and easily at LSU. I can see McVay absolutely drooling over this stat, as others have mentioned, he's tried to get a true elite deep threat for years. This might be the one he can't pass on.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The more I think and hear about it, I think the Rams want Brian Thomas Jr at 19. He had the fastest flying 20 at the combine, faster then the record holding 40 yard dash Worthy even. All while being much bigger. That flying 20 is exactly how he got deep so often and easily at LSU. I can see McVay absolutely drooling over this stat, as others have mentioned, he's tried to get a true elite deep threat for years. This might be the one he can't pass on.
You might be right. He fits to be the pick since hardly anyone here is real high on him.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
You might be right. He fits to be the pick since hardly anyone here is real high on him.
Well, you gotta admit, it sounds suspect to think LSU had TWO top 20 picks at WR last year. Heck, that could mean both LSU receivers were in the top FOUR at their position. My guess is at least one of the FOs who picks these guys is gonna be wrong.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, you gotta admit, it sounds suspect to think LSU had TWO top 20 picks at WR last year. Heck, that could mean both LSU receivers were in the top FOUR at their position. My guess is at least one of the FOs who picks these guys is gonna be wrong.
Or the team that picks Daniels. Name a QB that was throwing to more elite talent?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Or the team that picks Daniels. Name a QB that was throwing to more elite talent?
Daniels has bust potential imo. He's thin with narrow shoulders. Its an odd build for a QB. He doesn't look like he will put on a lot of muscle. Hurts didn't play great until he spent an offseason bulking up. What would Teddy Bridgewater have looked like in that LSU offense?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Penix had a good trio
I'm not crazy about Penix. I'm especially concerned with relying on a kid with a knee repair. He's eventually be the most important player on your team, kind of like when Gurley was here. It can creep up at any time.

Plus Penix's anticipation with crossing routes wasn't great. Unless McVay envisions a scheme change, he seems like an odd pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't hear as many people talk about the negatives on Thomas. The PFF guys don't like him. They say that he is Marques Valdez-Scantling. If they are accurate, do you use a first rounder on that?

Thomas us a one trick pony. His route running isn't great, and with his long frame, isn't likely to improve much. He's not as physical as I'd expect for a big kid, especially in contested catches. So would he be a willing blocker. Then you have a few drops and concentration lapses. I keep thinking that he's a bigger Van Jefferson. He's not the big, physical, instinctual player that Nacua is.

I'd rather they took Jalen Coker in later rounds. Coker is 6'-1" 208. He's got good hands and is a YAC machine.

Another later round receiver that I like is Ryan Flournoy. He's got plus hands, ran a 4.44 with explosive traits. He can block too. Hes 6'-1", 202 lbs and project as 7th round pick. Coker went to Holy Cross and Flournoy went to SE Missouri State. In comparison, Pearsall is 6'-1" and 198 lbs. He ran a 4.41, but is not as physical as either of these two.

Then if they want size, Johnny Wilson from FSU is 6'-6" 231 lbs. They supposedly wanted Mike Evans. Why not Wilson? Wilson is very physical. He's great at contested catches, has a huge wingspan, is a tenacious blocker with large hands. He's a physical freak athletically. He was on Feldman as freak list. He needs a lot of route refinement, but so does Thomas. He's not a blazer like Thomas. He ran a 4.52. But with his his size and strength, that could be fast enough. Mike Evans isn't a speedster.

Tez Walker ran a 4.36 and is 6'-2". He's not very physical but he's a x receiver type.

AD Mitchell is nearly identical in size and speed to Thomas. I think he or Troy Franklin are better prospects that will go in round 2.

To me there are too many good options at receiver in this draft to draft a guy like Thomas in round 1. If he was a more complete player I'd say okay. I think Franklin and Adonai Mitchell are more finished products.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't hear as many people talk about the negatives on Thomas. The PFF guys don't like him. They say that he is Marques Valdez-Scantling. If they are accurate, do you use a first rounder on that?

Thomas us a one trick pony. His route running isn't great, and with his long frame, isn't likely to improve much. He's not as physical as I'd expect for a big kid, especially in contested catches. So would he be a willing blocker. Then you have a few drops and concentration lapses. I keep thinking that he's a bigger Van Jefferson. He's not the big, physical, instinctual player that Nacua is.

I'd rather they took Jalen Coker in later rounds. Coker is 6'-1" 208. He's got good hands and is a YAC machine.

Another later round receiver that I like is Ryan Flournoy. He's got plus hands, ran a 4.44 with explosive traits. He can block too. Hes 6'-1", 202 lbs and project as 7th round pick. Coker went to Holy Cross and Flournoy went to SE Missouri State. In comparison, Pearsall is 6'-1" and 198 lbs. He ran a 4.41, but is not as physical as either of these two.

Then if they want size, Johnny Wilson from FSU is 6'-6" 231 lbs. They supposedly wanted Mike Evans. Why not Wilson? Wilson is very physical. He's great at contested catches, has a huge wingspan, is a tenacious blocker with large hands. He's a physical freak athletically. He was on Feldman as freak list. He needs a lot of route refinement, but so does Thomas. He's not a blazer like Thomas. He ran a 4.52. But with his his size and strength, that could be fast enough. Mike Evans isn't a speedster.

Tez Walker ran a 4.36 and is 6'-2". He's not very physical but he's a x receiver type.

AD Mitchell is nearly identical in size and speed to Thomas. I think he or Troy Franklin are better prospects that will go in round 2.

To me there are too many good options at receiver in this draft to draft a guy like Thomas in round 1. If he was a more complete player I'd say okay. I think Franklin and Adonai Mitchell are more finished products.
I agree with what you are saying here. I'm not a Thomas guy, I was just pointing out a reason why McVay might be salivating over getting this guy. Its hard to argue that he isn't the best deep threat in the draft, and his athletic testing did prove that. Now, do I want them to draft him, emphatically no. Of all the positions in this draft, WR is the deepest. Not sure why you would lean taking one with your 1 premium pick, unless your in range to take one of the top 3 elite guys. If it comes down to WR vs OL at 19, now you'll find me a fan of taking WR. Outside of that, nope. Too many really solid WR's sprinkled in this draft.

Oh and AD Mitchell is like 98% going in the 1st round. Several "insiders" (including Rappaport, or was it Shefty?) have stated that he is going higher then most think.