Re-Sign Akhello?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Your article misses one key factor.
I'm not sure what you quoted has anything to do with the previous discussion, this is pertaining to the reduced cap number for certain qualified veterans. Either way, it doesn't matter as my point is just that Witherspoon's camp might be keeping their options open even if the Rams had/have interest in resigning him in response to the "why aren't the Rams signing him" comment. Just one possibility.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure what you quoted has anything to do with the previous discussion, this is pertaining to the reduced cap number for certain qualified veterans. Either way, it doesn't matter as my point is just that Witherspoon's camp might be keeping their options open even if the Rams had/have interest in resigning him in response to the "why aren't the Rams signing him" comment. Just one possibility.
What I quoted says everything :D Has Witherspoon been on the Rams for the last 4 years? Answer we know is a resounding no. Hence he doesn't qualify for what you're saying.

Psycho_X

Legend
What I quoted says everything :D Has Witherspoon been on the Rams for the last 4 years? Answer we know is a resounding no. Hence he doesn't qualify for what you're saying.
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Nice article, thanks

Perhaps the clue is below. Maybe the Rams are waiting to see whether a LB shakes free that they expect to be cut based on another teams draft? There is a limit to how many of these types of contracts a team can offer. I say LB only because that’s possibly our weakest position after Jones though CB might be a close second depending on White’s recovery. Either way I would guess the team will sign at least one vet to the below type contract before the season and that could be Witherspoon depending on what his agents are looking for.

I can’t see where it says you need to have played 4 years on the same team? I would be surprised if such a clause would be legal but perhaps you know best?

“Terrell Edmunds signed his deal where he was paid $2.385 million as a base salary, which was for $1.35 million above his $1.035 million minimum salary, and also received a $152,500 signing bonus. So despite paying Edmunds $2.5375 million in salary, he only counted $1.1875 millio against the salary cap as the $1.35 million difference was a “benefit.”

Some Steelers fans were surprised that Edmunds did not sign on for the same deal again for 2023 and instead signed a deal that would pay him up to $2 million with the Philadelphia Eagles assuming he appeared in every game. But it also appeared the Steelers could not offer Edmunds the full $1.35 million they had available as the benefit as they used one of the salaries on another player for 2023”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice article, thanks

Perhaps the clue is below. Maybe the Rams are waiting to see whether a LB shakes free that they expect to be cut based on another teams draft? There is a limit to how many of these types of contracts a team can offer. I say LB only because that’s possibly our weakest position after Jones though CB might be a close second depending on White’s recovery. Either way I would guess the team will sign at least one vet to the below type contract before the season and that could be Witherspoon depending on what his agents are looking for.

I can’t see where it says you need to have played 4 years on the same team? I would be surprised if such a clause would be legal but perhaps you know best?

“Terrell Edmunds signed his deal where he was paid $2.385 million as a base salary, which was for $1.35 million above his $1.035 million minimum salary, and also received a $152,500 signing bonus. So despite paying Edmunds $2.5375 million in salary, he only counted $1.1875 millio against the salary cap as the $1.35 million difference was a “benefit.”

Some Steelers fans were surprised that Edmunds did not sign on for the same deal again for 2023 and instead signed a deal that would pay him up to $2 million with the Philadelphia Eagles assuming he appeared in every game. But it also appeared the Steelers could not offer Edmunds the full $1.35 million they had available as the benefit as they used one of the salaries on another player for 2023”
There is no type of contract, that's what he doesn't get. What he's referring to is only a possibility if the veteran played the last 4 years for a team. Which means he and the Rams can't do this contract.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
There is no type of contract, that's what he doesn't get. What he's referring to is only a possibility if the veteran played the last 4 years for a team. Which means he and the Rams can't do this contract.
You are right. We can sign a player with 4 year's experience, including Witherspoon, to a Veteran salary benefit contract:

Formerly known as the minimum salary benefit, the veteran salary benefit allow teams to offer a "Qualifying Contract" to any player with at least four credited seasons at a reduced salary cap hit. Under this provision, a qualifying contract is a one-year deal worth the minimum base salary applicable to a player with his number of credited seasons, plus $137,500 in additional compensation (i.e., signing bonus, roster bonus, incentive, etc. -- amount begins to increase in 2022). These contracts are charged against the salary cap at the rate of a player with two credited seasons that league year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are right. We can sign a player with 4 year's experience, including Witherspoon, to a Veteran salary benefit contract:

Formerly known as the minimum salary benefit, the veteran salary benefit allow teams to offer a "Qualifying Contract" to any player with at least four credited seasons at a reduced salary cap hit. Under this provision, a qualifying contract is a one-year deal worth the minimum base salary applicable to a player with his number of credited seasons, plus $137,500 in additional compensation (i.e., signing bonus, roster bonus, incentive, etc. -- amount begins to increase in 2022). These contracts are charged against the salary cap at the rate of a player with two credited seasons that league year.
Only if that 4 years is with us.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The depth is already there,so who knows what will happen.
My question is about Tomlinson’s future with The Rams?
Tomlinson will have a shot this year. But it seems like the likeliest answer for him not playing last year was his physical limitations (height, change of direction) and his propensity to take penalties.

It does not sound like he was taking steps forward in OTAs this year...

I don't have high hopes for him but it's only been one year. Too soon to tell.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not so sure? Guess reading comprehension is no longer a thing oh well.

Again though on the playe. If he was as good as ROD thinks he be a Ram already or with another team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tomlinson will have a shot this year. But it seems like the likeliest answer for him not playing last year was his physical limitations (height, change of direction) and his propensity to take penalties.

It does not sound like he was taking steps forward in OTAs this year...

I don't have high hopes for him but it's only been one year. Too soon to tell.
Yeah - hard tell,but he still has 3 years on his contract.What his & others upside effects the thought of signing Whiterspoon IMO.

I honestly can’t believe no other NFL team has signed him to a couple year contract.He has the size to cover bigger WR’s. He showed good ball skills & tackling.

IMO he was The Rams #1 CB & made trading Jalen Ramsey not that noticeable? Against Detroit though in the Playoffs he got abused by St.Brown