Ravens @ Rams Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Welp I'm bored and it's too hot to work in the yard so gonna put up some notable plays in the week 12 ass beating we received at the hands of the Ravens. Notable being when a guy doesn't do his job or does his job with smashing success, although in this particular game I can't recall if any plays included the latter lol. Probably not. But anyway let's see if we can find some good among the bad...

Situation is first play from scrimmage, it's gonna be a run
1595541690311.png

Pre-snap shows a favorable box for a handoff
1595541788899.png

Zone right at the snap
1595541850096.png

Now in a straight-up zone read the idea is Blythe should get a stiff-arm into the armpit of 98 to help out Edwards and when he's got his guy move second level. I would guess that Blythe's read here is to take 48 but he's still moving laterally with zero awareness of 48 crashing the LOS. And btw if Edwards was struggling with 98 it would be understandable but he's got 98 locked down.
1595541999105.png

Blythe realizes it here but it's too late
1595542133175.png

Nothin kills a run game like penetration
1595542182627.png

Blythe watchin his dude wrap Gurley
1595542307896.png

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s frustrating when guys stray or ignore their assignments. Nice break down, one play but it shows the issues the line had last season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Situation
1595542699286.png

Pre-snap Ravens showing blitz
1595542766003.png

At the snap I presume Kupp is the hot
1595542849157.png

At the drop the OL is doing a fine job with 6 rushers but Goff knows he's gotta get this out quick
1595542903965.png

As the rushers break through Kupp is enduring a nice hold courtesy of 22. Uncalled of course. But unfortunately Goff doesn't see Woody's guy hitting the ground for what would be a very nice gainer...
1595542993917.png

Throw to Kupp is out and will be incomplete. Poor choice here IMO by the QB who allowed the D to speed his clock. Check out Woody midfield
1595543223042.png

oldnotdead

Legend
The first clip highlights the issue I have with Blythe. If he is unable to execute a simplistic outside zone with strictly horizontal concept how is he going to be expected as a starting center in a power gap scheme going to execute blocks on the second level? Especially ones where he is expected to chip then come off and take on an ILB. He isn't is the quick answer. His field awareness is no where near that of a starter. That has always been a part of his problem, a lack of field vision and awareness. He's a liability facing a stunt and DC's know it.

IMO the second clip highlights a problem that has been created by McVay in his handling of Goff. Goff's ability to read defenses quickly and have a clear understanding of what he needs to do from those reads is being impaired by having Sean in his ear except for the last 15 seconds which is less because of the need to take the snap. In reality, Goff is being expected to make his own reads in 10 seconds which really leaves precious little time to make those reads and none for making adjustments.

IMO Sean should stay off the mic after making the call unless he spots something he absolutely needs to point out. He needs to take the training wheels off and allow Goff to develop into a full QB who makes his own reads and adjustments. Goff has HOF level talents especially with the roster he has to work with. I think Sean was saying Blitz, Blitz, Blitz go hot in his ear and so Goff clearly never even attempted to read the routes and do a full progression because if he had he would have seen Woody's coverage which broke down early, and the poor off coverage the middle WR in the bunch set was receiving as his coverage commits deep way too early.

It could also be the sign of a gunshy QB who doesn't trust his blocking. Either way, all of these problems can be rectified this year. One by not starting that disaster waiting to happen named Blythe and the rest by improved coaching technique.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Situation is 3rd and 4 here, Ravens basically mashed the ball down the field on our defense by physically manhandling our DL. I could put up stills but would need to do every play soooo fuck that. I will note the Rams came out in a 4 man DL early in this drive but easy seal blocks on Fox and general physicality (winning doubles on AD & NT) with no penetration buried us. Rams' defense stiffened a bit to get to this point, so this is a key early-game snap where the Rams could maybe force 3.
1595544256472.png

Pre-snap Rams showing man with Weddle (guessing here) probably having responsibility of shadowing the QB.
1595544581471.png

At the snap Jackson's locked on 15. Hill has him in coverage. What's not clear is, given Weddle's positioning, why he wouldn't rub the fucking receiver and help Hill out. You can do that and still keep eyes on the QB.
1595544690697.png

Weddle doesn't even give him a look here. So probably not his guy idk. But Hill definitely has some responsibility here and is quite slow to trail him. Definitely some miscommunication on this play as usual with our secondary last season.
1595545066583.png

Pitch & catch TD
1595545433542.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Situation
1595546498991.png

Rams in a 2 down lineman look up front with Smart (who is consistently bad IMO) and AD.
1595546737014.png

At the snap things already look like ass. AD is already starting his rush to the outside shoulder, and the middle is gonna have a big hole. Fortunately Littleton is there right? Lol.
1595546859516.png

At the fake the Rams are respecting the edge threat. Littleton as usual doesn't recognize the run action in the middle nor the lack of yellow jerseys. His current position allows him to chase which is what he prefers.
1595546940970.png

As Ingram hits the hole that 13 yard first down marker suddenly looks at risk
1595547099150.png

That shit was close (11 yard gainer). Of course this allows them to pick up the first down on a 4th down attempt and eventual TD a play later but ah well.
1595547244435.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Situation
1595547579749.png

Pre-snap Ravens with a light box
1595547647327.png

At the snap we see Higs crackin back on the chase end. Defense disregarded the jet action as usual.
1595547800695.png

At the snap we see Gurley with a seam. That's a dangerous thing for a defense.
1595547863300.png

TG passing the LOS without a hand on him is so beautiful it almost brings a tear of joy to my eye
1595547932266.png

First down and then some
1595547984521.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Situation
1595548485002.png

Pre-snap Rams in 11 personnel with trips right
1595548741744.png

This is a big down. Ravens up 14, offense has looked like dogshit, but they've got a chance to equalize things if they can convert or get 7 here. Just before the snap 22 realizes that there's 2 guys with 1 defender on the far side of the field and is moving over.
1595548828675.png

At the snap if Everett just runs a go route and Goff puts it up I like our chances. But this is a situation where the Ravens win a snap due to gameplanning IMO.
1595549096439.png

At the drop we see the route combinations are sat upon by the defenders. 22 had to run over and still managed to know where it was going. This is why I keep saying I feel like our gameplanning dipped in the passing game after we lost LaFleur to Green Bay. Way too many snaps like this IMO, whereas you rarely saw it in 2018. Gotta keep it fresh at this level. Oh but good protections by the OL here at least.
1595549242229.png

Coverage incompletion.
1595549321000.png

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Our OL issues were what they were last year, but this was one of 3 games where out D just didn't seem ready mentally, emotionally, something... (game 1 was a little off letting McCaffery run all over us--but we had some O spark in that one that saved us). I don't know how excusable that is, but it doesn't seem McVay-like. Glad we got some new energy with Staley.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here we are again with the Rams potentially being able to get back in what has been a fucking hideous game to this point. Situation...
1595549780014.png

Pre-snap
1595549868963.png

At the snap Kupp already has his dude beat on the crosser. But with the secondary in a heavy zone drop Kupp represents a low percentage to convert the first down or a TD and this is third down so the Ravens probably want Goff to throw it to Kupp here. Also of note is that Goff's pocket is nice here but in a beat it won't be and he knows that.
1595549955615.png

Ball is complete to Kupp underneath here. IMO Goff should have moved up and hoped that Cooks (who as usual was being held) would come open before he gets sacked. Worth the risk here given the way this game has gone to that point.
1595550115371.png

Well we moved the ball to the far hash for the field goal right? I think QB maturity will improve odds on this kind of play in the future.
1595550455384.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our OL issues were what they were last year, but this was one of 3 games where out D just didn't seem ready mentally, emotionally, something... (game 1 was a little off letting McCaffery run all over us--but we had some O spark in that one that saved us). I don't know how excusable that is, but it doesn't seem McVay-like. Glad we got some new energy with Staley.
What happened in this one is we just got beat with power. Thing about a power game is that it will look boring as hell but when you can beat someone repeatedly with power it's the most humiliating way to lose. Seriously man I recall a game in high school where the other team started calling out their runs and we still couldn't stop it. I have never felt that defeated in any sports game in my personal experience, and that includes my Dad whoopin my ass at table hockey. :ROFLMAO:

Oh and you know now that I think about it that's probably why I love defense and the run game so much.

oldnotdead

Legend
Last year the Rams lacked strength at the NT position and Phillips again for whatever reason refused to play Gaines despite his outplaying SJD.

Now Phillips is gone and his penchant for ignoring rookies hopefully will have left with him. Staley now has a legit force in the middle with Robinson. Robinson is a legit 3 down 1T NT. The second play doesn't happen with Robinson in the middle. That second play highlights something I disliked about Littleton and IMO is a reason he's gone. Cory makes too many of his stats on the wrong side of the LOS. He simply doesn't attack the play and close off offensive options. Too many times his play was like that shown in the second series of clips. He waits for the play to come to him not recognizing it for what it is and attacking the hole to limit the gain. Cory isn't showing good play recognition and situational awareness and that was a key to his failure to prevent the first down.

What I liked from what I saw of Kenny Young was his ability to recognize the play and make plays on the negative side of the LOS something lacking in Rams ILBs. Kiser has a rep for being aggressive also. I expect him to be aggressive at the POA as well. Kiser brings speed and aggressiveness lacking in Littleton. I watched Littleton at UW and was very lukewarm about him, as again his aggressiveness seemed to be basically lacking. This is why I don't think the doom and gloom everyone else seems to feel about the ILB situation. I think the Rams have improved there.

What is interesting is that out of their base defense they can play it like a nickel with Young as the second ILB. He's got a SS build and speed. If Staley coaches him up on his coverage techniques he is basically a 3rd safety if they want to play him that way. In fact Kiser's speed combined with Young's will allow Staley to play a very aggressive short zone on early down passes. When Staley pulls the MIKE (Kiser) to bring in the NCB the Rams can actually play it like a Dime with Young's speed.

This is what I like about the Ram's defense this year. It has positional versatility that will allow Staley to disguise his defense. it may appear one way to the QB but not played the way it appears. I have no doubt this defense has the tools to be at least a top 10 unit if not a top 5 unit. The strength of the secondary should allow the front 7 to play fast.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It was more than being outpowered or outschemed. The Rams just came out flat, and played without energy. Also, remember those Saturday night games we used to get our asses kicked in? It makes you wonder if McVay has trouble playing with the world watching.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So I didn't want to start a new thread about this but when I was watching Goff today in that Cleveland game it occurred to me that the single biggest thing he needs right now is repetition and training to throw the ball away.

Everything else that he struggles with seems to relate back to that one problem that has nagged him thus far, which is his internal clock. He's a natural deep/intermediate thrower IMO, a guy who likes to put it down the field. You can just see it in the way he wants to wait for guys and will hold the ball too long on so many snaps. And since holding the ball seems to be an issue, IMO McVay needs to drill his ass on the internal clock, i.e. throwing the fucking ball away. Stoned here too btw so maybe this is some captain obvious shit but I really feel like when he gets there he's gonna be something special.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Situation
View attachment 37630

Pre-snap Ravens showing blitz
View attachment 37631

At the snap I presume Kupp is the hot
View attachment 37632

At the drop the OL is doing a fine job with 6 rushers but Goff knows he's gotta get this out quick
View attachment 37633

As the rushers break through Kupp is enduring a nice hold courtesy of 22. Uncalled of course. But unfortunately Goff doesn't see Woody's guy hitting the ground for what would be a very nice gainer...
View attachment 37634

Throw to Kupp is out and will be incomplete. Poor choice here IMO by the QB who allowed the D to speed his clock. Check out Woody midfield
View attachment 37635

I wonder the time between these two frames? (not asking you to check, just making point).

It really shows how quick that read was, because Goff appears to have made it already in the bottom shot.

Fast.

D96458A7-2591-4994-B184-6FC1D7309024.jpeg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder the time between these two frames? (not asking you to check, just making point).

It really shows how quick that read was, because Goff appears to have made it already in the bottom shot.

Fast.
Yeah most of these plays are of course very fast reads. But that's why they get paid the big bucks.

In the play you quoted the issue was how Goff had decided to throw it to Kupp from the moment the ball was snapped. It shows, IMO, where he is developmentally. I assume he knew Kupp was going to be single covered and was betting that he'd get open which is a reasonable bet by a young QB in that situation, not to mention him knowing he's going to get pressure behind that OL. But Kupp got held and it wasn't called, and that focus on him prevented Goff from seeing what could have been a big play.

This is why I keep saying I think 2019 will be a huge season in Goff's development. It was a great lesson for him IMO, and as long as the protections improve Goff should take those lessons and be a better QB for it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Situation
1595610899856.png

Pre-snap we see the Ravens showing 7 in coverage on first down, at this point with the lead and all they are disregarding the Rams' run game even on a heavy run down.
1595611009539.png

At the fake we see off coverage on Woody which is never a good idea
1595611095236.png

At the drop Goff knows he's got his first read but the route will be in-breaking and the safety is a threat
1595611696619.png

Woody turns his head and the ball is already in the air
1595611776617.png

Underrated placement here back shoulder to protect his receiver. Great throw by Goff and first down.
1595611846139.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next play. Rams looking for points going into halftime.
1595611962001.png

Pre-snap same look by the Ravens
1595612042187.png

At the fake nothing fancy, Ravens sitting back looking for underneath completions
1595612163618.png

At the (deep) drop here Goff sees Kupp covered and is looking left
1595612278976.png

He's got Cooks breaking in and a safety that bailed a bit too much so a very small window and a tough throw
1595612481680.png

Another big-league, and underrated throw by Goff here to get it there quickly and place it low enough to protect Cooks for a big gainer
1595612611872.png