Ranking the top overpaid veterans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...-jay-cutler-rank-10-most-overpaid-players-nfl

Whenever a team signs a player to a big contract, there is always the concern that the player won't live up to that deal. If a team has enough of these players and can't easily get out of the contracts, that could push the franchise back years and get a lot of people fired.

Yesterday I looked at the NFL's most underpaid veterans -- guys no longer on a rookie deal -- and today we'll see who's the most overpaid. One way to figure out who the most overpaid players in the NFL are is by looking at the Jahnke Value Model, which determines how much money a player should be counting against the cap based on how well he plays. When you compare that to how much he actually is counting against the cap (according to OverTheCap.com), that leaves us with a quantitative answer on exactly how much he is being overpaid.

In some cases a player hasn't lived up to his contract simply due to injury, and for the purposes of this top 10 list those players were ignored; we're not having bad luck count against them. This just leaves the players who aren't playing as well as their contracts suggest they should be.

1. Charles Johnson, 4-3 DE, Carolina Panthers

2015 cap hit: $20.0 million

2015 JVM: $6.2 million

Value differential: $13.8 million

In 2011, Charles Johnson signed a six-year deal with the Panthers. It was structured so that his cap hit would be enormous in 2015, but if he was cut it would give Carolina $14 million in dead money. With the lack of other options on the roster, the Panthers had no choice but to keep Johnson.

The problem is that Johnson is being paid as if he's the best pass-rusher in the league, but he is top 10 at best. In six of the first seven games of the 2014 season, he had four or fewer pressures. While he improved as the season went on, his sack total has been decreasing each of the past few seasons. He was a liability against the run, and his seven missed tackles were among the most for 4-3 defensive ends.

There is no question that he still deserves to be a respectable starter in this league; just not as the defensive player with the largest cap hit in 2015.

2. Mario Williams, 3-4 OLB, Buffalo Bills

2015 cap hit: $19.4 million

2015 JVM: $6.6 million

Value differential: $12.8 million

To bring Mario Williams to Buffalo in 2012, it took a monster contract. The Bills likely signed Williams with the thought that he would be at least a top-five pass-rusher for several years. Williams hasn't been a bust with the Bills, and his raw sack numbers have been very good, but if you dig a little deeper you'll see that he simply hasn't ranked among the best pass-rushers in the league with his recent play.

Teammate Jerry Hughes had more pressures on the quarterback than Williams did last season (61 to 60), and there were 12 other edge rushers who recorded more pressures than Hughes. Williams' cap hit is more than twice as big as the Bills' other key players on the defensive front -- Hughes, Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus -- but you could argue that all three have been playing better than Williams has recently.

3. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants

2015 cap hit: $19.7 million

2015 JVM: $7.6 million

Value differential: $12.1 million

There was a time, after Manning's second Super Bowl run, when it looked as though he might justify being one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL. However, Manning has been incredibly average over the past two seasons, and as he enters the final year of his contract, he has the second-highest cap hit for a quarterback in 2015 (just behind Drew Brees).

Manning's accuracy percentage of 72.5 was just the 24th best of 39 quarterbacks, and his numbers against pressure and on deep throws weren't much better. Having Odell Beckham Jr. helped Manning's overall stat line look good in 2014, but that had a lot more to do with Beckham than with Manning.

Manning will be a 35-year-old free agent next offseason, and the Giants will need to decide between potentially overpaying him again and starting over at the quarterback position.

4. Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions

2015 cap hit: $20.6 million

2015 JVM: $8.8 million

Value differential: $10 million

There was a time when Megatron was the unquestioned No. 1 wide receiver in the NFL. This past season, players like Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham Jr. were fighting for that crown, and the two of them combined won't be making as much as Johnson will this season. In fact, the only wide receivers who have a cap hit within $8 million of Johnson were the receivers who received the franchise tag.

From 2011 to 2013, Johnson ranked among the top six in PFF's yards per route run metric, including leading the league in 2013 at 2.72. He regressed in 2014 to 2.29, good for just 10th best in the league. He turns 30 on Sept. 29, and after this season he still has four years left on his contract with a cap hit of over $17 million in all four years. Despite his tremendous talent, Johnson will likely remain among the overpaid for the next several seasons.

5. Brandon Carr, CB, Dallas Cowboys

2015 cap hit: $12.7 million

2015 JVM: $1.8 million

Value differential: $10.9 million

There have been plenty of rumors that Carr could be cut or asked to take a pay cut this offseason, but at this point the Cowboys are stuck paying Carr a ton of money for the 2015 season. While most players on this list are still quality starters who are simply being paid more than they deserve, Carr was an outright liability for the Cowboys last season.

When quarterbacks targeted the receiver Carr was covering, they had an NFL Passer Rating of 116.6. His 849 yards allowed was the seventh-most yards allowed by a cornerback last year.

The Cowboys drafted UConn defensive back Byron Jones in the first round of the draft, so they could very well be planning for life without Carr already.

6. Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals

2015 cap hit: $14.8M

2015 JVM: $5.6M

Value differential: $9.2M

Peterson was rewarded with a contract extension after an excellent 2013 campaign. The problem is he followed that up with a forgettable 2014 season.

He allowed eight touchdowns, which tied for third most in the NFL behind David Amerson and Bradley Fletcher. In plenty of games he held his own, but he allowed nine catches for 174 receiving yards against the Falcons, and five catches for 122 yards against Washington.

Part of Peterson's outstanding play in 2013 had to do with the fact that he tracked the opposing team's No. 1 receiver across the formation (although rarely in the slot), but in 2014 he primarily stayed at left cornerback, regardless of which WR lined up across from him. He is still clearly the Cardinals' top outside cornerback, and he was playing hurt for much of the season, but Arizona needs to hope he returns to his 2013 form -- because the Cardinals are tied to him for a while.

7. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota Vikings

2015 cap hit: $15.4M

2015 JVM: $6.2M

Value differential: $9.2M

Only seven running backs in the league have a cap hit in 2015 above $5 million. The only one above $10 million is Peterson, and he has a cap hit more than $6 million above the next-highest-paid back.

If we were talking about the 2012 version of Peterson, then this contract might make some sense. But it has been a few years since we've seen Peterson at his best, and it's not just related to last season's off-field issues, which kept him off the field in all but one game. During the 2013 season, he tied his career low with 3.0 yards after contact per carry. Some of that can be blamed on a deteriorating offensive line, but it's also a sign that he has slid a bit since his dominant 2012 season.

None of this is to say Peterson isn't a very good player, or even that he isn't the league's best running back. But what we can definitively say is he doesn't deserve to be making 150 percent more than all other running backs. He is not a receiving threat nor is he a good blocker, and now that he's over age 30 and showing signs of decline, the odds are stacked against him for living up to the rest of his contract.

8. Jay Cutler, QB, Chicago Bears

2015 cap hit: $16.5 million

2015 JVM: $7.4 million

Value differential: $9.1 million

Cutler was one of the most disappointing players in the NFL last season, after cashing in with a big contract in the offseason. Typically, even the worst starting QBs can find success in the NFL when they aren't under pressure, but Cutler defied that in 2014: When Cutler was free of pressure, he managed only 6.8 yards per attempt, and a 16-to-13 touchdown to interception rate. It wasn't any prettier when he had to face the blitz.

It would have been a salary-cap nightmare for the Bears to let go of Cutler this year, and even next year it wouldn't lead to much in the way of cap savings unless they trade him. Ideally for Chicago, Cutler can return to being a good but not great quarterback this season. Regardless of how he plays, the Bears are stuck with him for at least one or two more seasons.

9. Jared Allen, 3-4 OLB, Chicago Bears

2015 cap hit: $12.5 million

2015 JVM: $4.0 million

Value differential: $8.5 million

After choosing not to re-sign Julius Peppers, the Bears instead elected to sign Allen. After seven straight seasons with double-digit sacks, Allen managed just six sacks on 522 pass rushes over the course of the 2014 season. On a per-play basis, Allen was merely average at getting pressure on the quarterback, yet he is still being paid as if he's one of the better pass-rushers in the league. He is now 33 and going through a position change, so if anything, his production is likely to decrease again in 2015.

Due to the contract that Allen signed, it won't be until next offseason that the Bears can cut him and save cap space in the process. Their biggest free-agent addition was Pernell McPhee, and Lamarr Houston is returning from injury, so Allen will likely be just a part-time player this season. It's very unlikely the Bears will ever get their money's worth out of their 2014 free-agent gamble.

10. Michael Griffin, FS, Tennessee Titans

2015 cap hit: $8.1 million

2015 JVM: $0.8 million

Value differential: $7.3 million

On most teams, Griffin would have been benched by this point. But the Titans don't have any depth at safety, so at this stage it looks as if we'll see yet another year of Griffin as a starter.

When quarterbacks threw toward the receivers Griffin was targeting, quarterbacks had an NFL passer rating of 111.4. After the receiver caught the ball or once a running back got close to him, Griffin missed 17 tackles. He managed to grade out below average by PFF standards in run defense, in coverage, as a pass-rusher and in penalties. Griffin has another year under contract after the 2015 season, but by that point he might become a cap cut.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of surprised my favorite Ram isn't on this list. Chris Long makes a lot of money, was injured last year and didn't put up big numbers again. He gets a lot of scrutiny from national media and from opposing fans. We all know his true value extends beyond the field. But for purposes like this article I'm surprised he isn't on the list.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Kind of surprised my favorite Ram isn't on this list. Chris Long makes a lot of money, was injured last year and didn't put up big numbers again. He gets a lot of scrutiny from national media and from opposing fans. We all know his true value extends beyond the field. But for purposes like this article I'm surprised he isn't on the list.
I'm glad he's not!! I would have pitched-a-Bitch!!!! As you said other than just his play, he has waaay too much value to this team to be on such a list!

fearsomefour

Legend
It wouldn't make sense to cut him until next year when the team could save $11.5M. If he stays healthy and has a good year I could see the deal being redone and maybe extended a year or two and provide some cap savings.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep I was thinking that Chris Long would be on the list too....but in truth you need to look at the entire package with CL too.

He is now the veteran leader of one of the most talented DL's in the NFL. His professional demeanor on & off the field & his ability to command the respect of all who play with him is invaluable. So many elements go into what teams desire & pay for in a player. Rams have so many young DL'ers here who are sure to continue to look to CL for help in many areas.

CL out of line sizable contract sure sticks out like a massive green crusty dried nasal mucus when looking at overall production on the field. Even I believe CL is now trending downward in his skills & abilities on game day. As long as CL can be productive on this team & lead that DL he will remain a Ram.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yep I was thinking that Chris Long would be on the list too....but in truth you need to look at the entire package with CL too.

He is now the veteran leader of one of the most talented DL's in the NFL. His professional demeanor on & off the field & his ability to command the respect of all who play with him is invaluable. So many elements go into what teams desire & pay for in a player. Rams have so many young DL'ers here who are sure to continue to look to CL for help in many areas.

CL out of line sizable contract sure sticks out like a massive green crusty dried nasal mucus when looking at overall production on the field. Even I believe CL is now trending downward in his skills & abilities on game day. As long as CL can be productive on this team & lead that DL he will remain a Ram.
I can only partially agree with you, my friend! I don't agree, because of one injury year, that Chris's skills & abilities are trending downward! I'd be willing to bet he'll be back to his old form, with a vengeance, THIS year! Then again I'm ..
17zw35.jpg

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The NFL needs to change the salary cap. If you draft a player you should be able to resign him and have only have half the amount go against the cap. That way teams are rewarded for drafting well and not penalized because their draft picks were so good they can only hold onto a few of them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL needs to change the salary cap. If you draft a player you should be able to resign him and have only have half the amount go against the cap. That way teams are rewarded for drafting well and not penalized because their draft picks were so good they can only hold onto a few of them.

Will never happen, the players union will argue that restricts free agency and won't allow it.

iced

A lot of the reason why I don't think he's on the list is timing - when he returned, the defense took off. Now a lot of that is debatable between his impact overall and the defense just getting more comfortable, but i think people might be looking at that particular correlation.

Although I do remember couple, possibly even quite a few sacks, that were possible from either chris long getting pressure, disrupting the QB, or having someone else finish a sack. Part of Quinn's success is also attributed to Long as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just for clarification in case people didn't read my post that closely! I don't think Long is overpaid or that he under produces. I'm surprised he isn't on the national media's list like this because they think he is. Opposing fan bases think he is because he doesn't put up huge sack numbers. I think he's a great player.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Funny when a team doesn't resign their own or sign another team's FA it's because they are "cheap."

And when they do give a player a contract, they are overpaid. It's stupid.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Long isn't on the list - for among other reasons - because he was injured, and the author explicitly excluded players who were injured.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Will never happen, the players union will argue that restricts free agency and won't allow it.

Won't happen for another reason. Giving teams ways to circumvent the salary cap would mean that salaries would rise, increasing what owners would end up paying. Owners are against that. OTOH, the NFLPA would love it, if their players could make more money by either having their old team pay them more or by taking the threat of their old team being able to pay more to new teams getting them to bid more aggressively.

FrankenRam

Starter

I would like to see some modifications to cap rules as well. But I'd suggest taking a different tack. The thing I hate most about the FA/salary cap era is the way it frequently forces teams to jettison the aging vet that's played his entire career, from the moment he was drafted, with one team, but is now maybe a yr or 2 past his peak. So that aging vet winds up playing maybe a couple more year, but when he retires, he signs a 1 day contract with his original team so he can retire a member of that team. That stinks. I hate it.

My blue sky thinking would be that any team could get some sort of discount on a player's cap hit if he met some combination of criteria that might include something like the following. To qualify for the discount.......
* The player must have been originally drafted, or be an original UDFA, of the team seeking the discount.
* He must have played his entire career with that team (not have left and come back).
* He must have 'X' years of service for that team. Initially, I was thinking he should have a minimum of 5 continuous yr of service. But maybe it should be 7, or........pick a number that works.

And if those criteria were met, that player's cap hit would only be 50% of the actual contract.....or maybe only 75%...or....again pick a # that works.

Some combination of criteria like that, or some derivative of it, would mean there probably wouldn't be more than a couple players on each team that would qualify. And if there were, kudos to them for drafting well enough to have players on their team with that length of service, and that they'd like to keep around!

Maybe the criteria I've posited aren't the best. Maybe there are others that would be more palatable. But it seems there should be some mechanism available to teams, and players, to have some continuity in a player's career.....assuming both sides want that to occur.