Ranking the top CFB players of 2012 (McShay & Kiper)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Mel Kiper & Todd McShay | ESPN Insider
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-foot ... e-football

ins_u_manzielclowney_576.jpg

Todd McShay's offensive players

Quarterback

Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M Aggies

Johnny Football is young and still has a lot to learn about the position, and he also got a tremendous amount of help from his offensive line this season (he had two first-round tackles blocking for him up front). But it's obvious that Manziel is the reason the Aggies' offense was so successful this season. He's just a freestyler. His skill set is unique, from his open-field running ability to his accuracy as a passer, and his production was phenomenal (26 passing TDs, 21 rushing TDs, 68 percent completion rate).

The biggest challenge for Manziel going forward is going to be avoiding the trappings off the field. But if he can find a way to keep his mind straight, embrace the position and work at it during the offseason, he has the potential to have one of the greatest college football careers of all time. He could leave a Tim Tebow-like legacy, in that regard.

Honorable mention: Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville Cardinals; Collin Klein, Kansas State Wildcats

Running back

Giovani Bernard, North Carolina Tar Heels

This one was a really tough call, because there were some good backs this season. You could easily make the argument for Wisconsin's Montee Ball, and I really view these guys as No. 1 and No. 1A. But Ball's slow start hurt him, and Bernard was really productive this season. He scored 19 total TDs -- 12 rushing, five receiving and two on punt returns -- and averaged 6.7 yards per carry. Very versatile (47 receptions), he was a clutch performer, as well, most notably with his punt return touchdown to beat NC State. Bernard has great quickness, change-of-direction skills and does a good job of running low to the ground.

Honorable mention: Montee Ball, Wisconsin Badgers; Le'Veon Bell, Michigan State Spartans; Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona Wildcats

Wide receiver

Marqise Lee, USC Trojans

He's not Calvin Johnson in terms of size-to-speed ratio, but Lee does have truly elite speed. He is a big-time difference-maker (118 catches, 14.6 yards per catch and 14 TDs in 2012), and is as good after the catch as he is as a vertical route-runner, which is a rare combination of skills. I think that he would be a top-10 pick in the 2013 draft, if he were eligible. He had some good competition at the receiver spot, but he was clearly a notch above everyone else.

Honorable mention: Tavon Austin, West Virginia Mountaineers; DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson Tigers; Terrance Williams, Baylor Bears; Stedman Bailey, West Virginia Mountaineers

Tight end

Zach Ertz, Stanford Cardinal

It was a close call between Ertz and Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert, but I'm going with Ertz. He was really productive this season -- 69 catches, 898 yards, six touchdowns -- and he really impressed me with the way he went up and attacked the ball in the air when I saw him up close in the Rose Bowl against Wisconsin. That really sold me on him. He'll never be an elite blocker, but he's really improved in that area.

Honorable mention: Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Offensive line

Chance Warmack, Alabama Crimson Tide

There were a lot of great linemen on display this season, and Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel was a close second here, but I think Warmack, Alabama's left guard, was the most dominant from start to finish this season. Warmack hardly ever loses a one-on-one battle, and most of the time he simply dominates his opponent. He is solid in pass protection despite not being an elite athlete, and he is an absolute road grader in the run game -- not just in man-to-man blocking schemes but also in zone, where he shows his ability to get it done in space.

Honorable mention: tackle Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M Aggies; guard Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina Tar Heels

Mel Kiper's defensive players

Defensive end

Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina Gamecocks

Were he allowed to enter the 2013 NFL draft, Clowney would be the No. 1 pick. He may be intent on going after quarterbacks and a Heisman in 2013, but my hope is that he remains healthy. Clowney's 2012 season was exactly the breakout we expected from a guy who was thrust into the fray immediately as a freshman, and was an impact player in the SEC in that role. He piled up 13.0 sacks, 23.5 tackles for loss and will linger in the YouTube Hall of Fame for what he did to Michigan last week.

Clowney has it all: speed, instincts, exceptional burst, great power, leverage as a pass-rusher and awareness to destroy running plays when they're directed at him -- or to the opposite side of the formation. And he's still getting better. As a prospect, he could impact any NFL defensive system, either as a 4-3 defensive end or standing up in a 3-4. He's truly a remarkable talent.

Damontre Moore, Texas A&M Aggies

We're doubling up at defensive end because Moore was so dominant and consistent. He finished the season with 12.0 sacks and 21.0 tackles for loss, and rose to be among the top five players on my current Big Board. Moore was particularly good in big games, registering at least one tackle for loss in every SEC game. He has a lightning-quick first step, and has added to his arsenal of moves as a pass-rusher.

Moore has decided to enter the 2013 NFL draft, and seems certain to land in the top 10.

Honorable mention: Bjoern Werner, Florida State Seminoles; Star Lotulelei, Utah Utes; Sheldon Richardson, Missouri Tigers; Alex Okafor, Texas Longhorns

Outside linebacker/defensive end

Jarvis Jones, Georgia Bulldogs

Currently the No. 1 player on my Big Board, Jones is here because he'll shift to outside linebacker in a 3-4 at the next level. Jones is relentless -- he led the nation in sacks with 14.0 and did that while facing constant extra blocking help. He's too quick to be consistently blocked one-on-one, and Jones has a range of skills that will become more apparent as he goes through the draft process. For instance, though he played with his hand on the ground, Jones can really cover, and will be able to track running backs and tight ends in the NFL. He has all of the physical skills and also brings a workmanlike attitude to the game. Plus, he isn't demonstrative; he'll sack you, then help you up and do it again.

Honorable mention: Anthony Barr, UCLA Bruins; Morgan Breslin, USC Trojans; Trevardo Williams, Connecticut Huskies; Dion Jordan, Oregon Ducks

Linebacker

Manti Te'o, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

He's dealing with bad reviews from a BCS title game in which he missed some tackles and appeared to really be pressing, aggressively trying to shoot gaps and make big plays to spur his team. He finished the season with 113 total tackles, 36 more than any other player on the Fighting Irish, and also picked up an impressive seven interceptions. To put that total in perspective, he was tied for second nationally while playing from the middle linebacker position.

Te'o profiles as the leader of a defense, an experienced player who never has to come off the field because he's exceptional in reads against the run, plugs holes, shoots gaps and plays sideline to sideline.

Honorable mention: Alec Ogletree, Georgia Bulldogs; Jon Bostic, Florida Gators; Kiko Alonso, Oregon Ducks; Khaseem Greene, Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Defensive back

Dee Milliner, Alabama Crimson Tide

Early in the season, I saw Milliner as a corner who was still developing his cover skills but didn't ever become a liability because he's such a complete player, using great instincts to make plays, tackling well, using his strength to get receivers out of rhythm in routes and doing a great job in run support. Milliner is a physical corner who doesn't shy away from blockers and will come up and lay a hit on attacking running backs who try to get wide. He has a good shot to be the first corner taken in the draft.

Honorable mention: Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State Bulldogs; Jordan Poyer, Oregon State; Xavier Rhodes, Florida State Seminoles; Kenny Vaccaro, Texas Longhorns; Matt Elam, Florida Gators