RamView, 11/27/11, Game #11: Rams vs. Arizona, by Mike Frank

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shaky

RamView, 11/27/11, Game #11: Rams vs. Arizona, by Mike Franke

RamView, November 27, 2011
From Row HH
(Report and opinions from the game.)
Game #11: Rams vs. Arizona

Let the epitaphs begin for the Steve Spagnuolo era in St. Louis. In the last “must-win” game he'll coach here, Spagnuolo's run defense once again went belly-up, the offense wallowed in mediocrity, and the coaching staff continued to kill the team with stupid “strategy” on special teams. The Rams lose AT HOME to the freaking Cardinals for the SEVENTH straight year, and I have had freaking ENOUGH of this.

Position by position:
* QB: Pretty average game for Sam Bradford (17-31-208, 85.8 PR). He made some nice throws and missed some makeable ones. He threw a TD pass, so that's news. Ultimately, he couldn't elevate his offense's level of play over the poor performance of his line. And the Ram defense. Granted, a daunting task. His first impact play was a costly fumble after Sam Acho sacked him in the red zone in the 1st. You know, if I had Adam Goldberg protecting my blindside, I'd try to have eyes in the back of my head as much as possible, but an unsuspecting Bradford got nailed from behind instead, and it was little surprise the ball came loose. From midfield before halftime, Bradford got the Rams inside the 5 with passes to Brandon Gibson and Brandon Lloyd. We'll call Lloyd's pass an intentional back-shoulder throw for now. First and goal, though, bang, it's Acho from the blindside again, and the Ram offense only produces three points in the first half. Bradford set the Rams up for another FG in the 3rd with a 35-yard bullet to Austin Pettis, and by getting a 3rd-down pass thrown away under pressure to maintain field position for Josh Brown. The Rams stalled for a couple of drives while down 20-13, including a 3-and-out in the 4th. Bradford threw poorly behind an open Lloyd on 2nd down and too high for Pettis on 3rd down. But Bradford rallied right after. He drilled one to Lance Kendricks in triple coverage to get the Rams close and then, at last, threw a perfect fade pass to Lloyd to beat a blitz and score the tying TD. But the Rams' final drive ended when they couldn't convert on 3rd-and-1. Bradford managed the offense well enough and didn't hurt the Rams with any glaring mental mistakes, which has been one of his strengths this season. But the net effect of that this week was like being the one person on the Titanic who remembered to lock their cabin door.

full article: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.nflfans.com/rams2/article.php?story=20111128092024278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nflfans.com/rams2/article.ph ... 8092024278</a>

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Re: RamView, 11/27/11, Game #11: Rams vs. Arizona, by Mike F

Do we have to keep suffering??

Attachments

• 458183985.jpg
    458183985.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 256

cfin5256

Rookie

What I'm wondering, and I'm not even sure it's the correct action, but if we let Spags go, is there a possibility of promoting McDaniels to HC? I don't like that idea at all, but is it something Stan would consider?

Anonymous

cfin5256 said:
What I'm wondering, and I'm not even sure it's the correct action, but if we let Spags go, is there a possibility of promoting McDaniels to HC? I don't like that idea at all, but is it something Stan would consider?

I can't imagine it.

cfin5256

Rookie

squeaky wheel said:
cfin5256 said:

I can't imagine it.

Hopefully not. I think McD needs another season at OC so we can see what Sam and the offense look like with a season and a full offseason under their belt next year. I just do not like the idea of him being HC here at all. His tenure in Denver was an unmitigated disaster.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

cfin5256 said:
squeaky wheel said:
cfin5256 said:

I can't imagine it.

I think McD needs another season at OC so we can see what Sam and the offense look like with a season and a full offseason under their belt next year.

He needs more than that....what has he learned since leaving Denver to suggest he's anywhere near ready to be a HC?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

cfin5256 said:
I can't imagine any scenario where the players would enjoy being lambasted after every play that didn't go the right way.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
cfin5256 said:
I can't imagine any scenario where the players would enjoy being lambasted after every play that didn't go the right way.
Do you see McD do that a lot? (I don't want him as HC BTW.)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

DR RAM said:
X said:
cfin5256 said:
Not as OC, though there have been reports that he's been getting in grills. I'm talking strictly about the meltdowns he's had while in Denver. Has he grown since then? I don't know. Just going by what I've seen while he was there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
cfin5256 said:
Not as OC, though there have been reports that he's been getting in grills. I'm talking strictly about the meltdowns he's had while in Denver. Has he grown since then? I don't know. Just going by what I've seen while he was there.
Oh, I got ya. Yeah, I don't want him as HC, either, and I don't think there is anyone on the staff that could take over. Wow, just realized that.

He has seemed to keep his cool here from what I've seen.

bluecoconuts

Legend

DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
cfin5256 said:
Oh, I got ya. Yeah, I don't want him as HC, either, and I don't think there is anyone on the staff that could take over. Wow, just realized that.

He talks to himself sometimes.
"you gotta be fucking kidding me."
"God just shoot me."

I don't think we're doing the right plays as much as we think we are. There is still a lot to learn.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
cfin5256 said:

"you gotta be fucking kidding me."
"God just shoot me."

I don't think we're doing the right plays as much as we think we are. There is still a lot to learn.
I've been seeing the players make a lot of mistakes, and sometimes they just get beat.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:
cfin5256 said:

"you gotta be freaking kidding me."
"God just shoot me."

I've been seeing the players make a lot of mistakes, and sometimes they just get beat.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the defense is not supposed to consistently BEAT the offense to the spot. I also think the play calling has been suspect. Where are the bubble screens? Where are the short slants that at least kept the chains moving last year? I realize DA is gone, but we should have guys capable of running and catching 5 yd in routes. With as bad as our OL has been this year, I expected to see a more quick hitters by now.