Rams week 14 defensive grades: Greg Gaines leads 2nd half dominance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Week 6 snap counts: Greg Gaines' role shrinks vs. Panthers​

Cameron DaSilva /October 17, 2022
1666040423832.png

People raved about the Los Angeles Rams’ depth before the season began, particularly at wide receiver and in the secondary. That depth has been tested at several positions due to injury, leading to more opportunities for backups.

Against the Panthers on Sunday, the Rams mixed things up once again. Darrell Henderson Jr. took over for Cam Akers, and Greg Gaines saw his role dissipate for whatever reason.

Here are the snap counts from Sunday’s win over the Panthers.

Offense​

Screen-Shot-2022-10-17-at-4.18.53-PM.png

Joe Noteboom was limited to just nine snaps at left tackle before getting hurt. Alaric Jackson then moved from right guard to left tackle, and Oday Aboushi slid into the lineup at right guard. The other three linemen played every snap.

Darrell Henderson Jr. owned the backfield, playing 71% of the snaps. Malcolm Brown played 25% and Ronnie Rivers played the other 5% in his Rams debut.

Tyler Higbee only played 78% of the snaps, giving way to Kendall Blanton and Brycen Hopkins, who played 10 and nine snaps, respectively.

Ben Skowronek remains the No. 3 receiver, playing 68%, but Brandon Powell’s role grew as he played 38% of the snaps. Tutu Atwell only played two snaps total.

Defense​

Screen-Shot-2022-10-17-at-4.18.59-PM.png

Four members of the secondary played every snap: Nick Scott, Jalen Ramsey, Taylor Rapp and Derion Kendrick. That could change after the bye if Troy Hill and Cobie Durant return. David Long Jr. was the nickel corner, playing 31%. Grant Haley didn’t play a defensive snap after getting hurt on special teams.

Aaron Donald played his usual share of snaps at 80%, followed by A’Shawn Robinson (73%) on the defensive line. Greg Gaines’ role shockingly disappeared and there was no injury reported for the starting nose tackle. Marquise Copeland seems to have overtaken him after playing 55% of the snaps.

Leonard Floyd was the Rams’ primary edge rusher, while Justin Hollins and Terrell Lewis continue to evenly split snaps on the other side. Takk McKinley was limited to just six snaps.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah not sure what is up with Gaines, has been mostly invisible all season so far and getting pushed around a lot. Just doesn't seem like the same player as last season and it's a contract year for him also.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gaines hasn't been playing as well as he was last season. Noticeably less penetration through the line which I think is the main issue. But also I have noticed him a couple times being blown off the line by doubles. Which last year rarely happened, as he is really good at anchoring in vs doubles usually.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Come on Cameron DaSilva his role didn't shrink for whatever reason it was announced last week he was battling some injuries and the coaching staff went easy on him as they do with any vet who's having issues with injuries. Gaines isn't being out played he's been fine all year. Not as many splash plays but lets not act like teams were running at him with great success.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't recall reading he was dealing with injuries but that makes sense to me. Because Gaines is a high motor player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't recall reading he was dealing with injuries but that makes sense to me. Because Gaines is a high motor player.
Pretty sure it was a Stu Jackson tweet not a Jourdan though she could have too that he had a day of light side work. I'm pretty sure it was a small thing he never showed up on the injury report. Like you said everybody praises Gaines for his work during the week and on Sunday. He's not getting benched as far as we know and there hasn't been any reports on issues with him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Very odd unless they're going for more rotation because of conditioning.

The defensive line depth is pretty damn good.
Yeah, but only one is a pass rush threat. They need to find a young pass rusher or two on the DL next yr.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, but only one is a pass rush threat. They need to find a young pass rusher or two on the DL next yr.
So next year is just like EVERY year?

But I would guess they are rotating the guys out for passing downs versus running downs.

Copeland is definitely looking like another udfa win!

dang

Legend

Rams Week 6 snap counts: Greg Gaines' role shrinks vs. Panthers​

Cameron DaSilva /October 17, 2022
View attachment 56991

People raved about the Los Angeles Rams’ depth before the season began, particularly at wide receiver and in the secondary. That depth has been tested at several positions due to injury, leading to more opportunities for backups.

Against the Panthers on Sunday, the Rams mixed things up once again. Darrell Henderson Jr. took over for Cam Akers, and Greg Gaines saw his role dissipate for whatever reason.

Offense​

Screen-Shot-2022-10-17-at-4.18.53-PM.png

Joe Noteboom was limited to just nine snaps at left tackle before getting hurt. Alaric Jackson then moved from right guard to left tackle, and Oday Aboushi slid into the lineup at right guard. The other three linemen played every snap.

Darrell Henderson Jr. owned the backfield, playing 71% of the snaps. Malcolm Brown played 25% and Ronnie Rivers played the other 5% in his Rams debut.

Tyler Higbee only played 78% of the snaps, giving way to Kendall Blanton and Brycen Hopkins, who played 10 and nine snaps, respectively.

Ben Skowronek remains the No. 3 receiver, playing 68%, but Brandon Powell’s role grew as he played 38% of the snaps. Tutu Atwell only played two snaps total.

Defense​

Screen-Shot-2022-10-17-at-4.18.59-PM.png

Four members of the secondary played every snap: Nick Scott, Jalen Ramsey, Taylor Rapp and Derion Kendrick. That could change after the bye if Troy Hill and Cobie Durant return. David Long Jr. was the nickel corner, playing 31%. Grant Haley didn’t play a defensive snap after getting hurt on special teams.

Aaron Donald played his usual share of snaps at 80%, followed by A’Shawn Robinson (73%) on the defensive line. Greg Gaines’ role shockingly disappeared and there was no injury reported for the starting nose tackle. Marquise Copeland seems to have overtaken him after playing 55% of the snaps.

Leonard Floyd was the Rams’ primary edge rusher, while Justin Hollins and Terrell Lewis continue to evenly split snaps on the other side. Takk McKinley was limited to just six snaps.
I focus on Floyd when watching the Edge play for Rams defense. Not impressed at all. Anyone paying attention to Hollins, Lewis or Tak have any insight to their level of play?

Psycho_X

Legend
Anyone paying attention to Hollins, Lewis or Tak have any insight to their level of play?
Invisible mostly. Lewis had a terrible game this week. Both he and Tak failed at contain and generally did nothing really. Floyd and Hollins aren't helping rushing but they at least play the run fairly well still all though I've seen Floyd get out of position a few times this season. But they are at least in on plays throughout game. Lewis has been a ghost for weeks now.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Come on Cameron DaSilva his role didn't shrink for whatever reason it was announced last week he was battling some injuries and the coaching staff went easy on him as they do with any vet who's having issues with injuries. Gaines isn't being out played he's been fine all year. Not as many splash plays but lets not act like teams were running at him with great success.
In the interview McVay does on Mondays with JB and DeMarco, McVay said that Gaines has been dealing with a shoulder injury so they decided to cut his playing time down and much of that time went to Copeland as per defensive planning.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the interview McVay does on Mondays with JB and DeMarco, McVay said that Gaines has been dealing with a shoulder injury so they decided to cut his playing time down and much of that time went to Copeland as per defensive planning.
Yeah I remember seeing something but didn't really want to dig back through tweets to find it! Thanks for listening to the show I missed it tonight.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Gaines is playing hurt right now. Bobby Brown is set to return off suspension so he could help that rotation.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So next year is just like EVERY year?

But I would guess they are rotating the guys out for passing downs versus running downs.

Copeland is definitely looking like another udfa win!
When was the last time they added a true pass rushing DL?

Not counting OLB...talking an interior linemen who cam push the pocket and make plays in the backfield.

Need an athlete type who makes plays. See a lot of other teams have multiple guys that can do it. We have one...we're just lucky that he might be the greatest of all time, but he needs help and a successor.