Rams trying to trade Tru J.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Tree will be a free agent next year, 2017 is his 5'th year option season.

Donald would enter his 'option year' in 2018 and could become a free agent in 2019.

Egads, man!! For the love of all that is holy, don't ever use the term free agent in the same sentence with donald! Not as a trade possibility, not as a joke, not even if your partner threatens to withhold sex! We"ll let it slide this time but.....oh shit, I'm gonna puke just thinking about it. Are you happy now? I'm running to the toilet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, then what? Now you have to re-sign Donald, Ogletree and a guy who is coming off a 2 year 31.5 mill deal and is looking to get paid?

Then you let him walk next offseason. Him playing this year in horns is something I consider valuable to the team as they coach up their new, young members of the secondary.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Then you let him walk next offseason. Him playing this year in horns is something I consider valuable to the team as they coach up their new, young members of the secondary.

Maybe he does better in man than we think. I have my doubts though. I think Phillips either adjusts his system to fit Tru into it or they continue to try to trade him away. They may have to wait until after the draft or into camp for it to happen, which likely means a pick from next years draft. If you recall the Rams only paid a 4th and 6th to get Barron. I don't know why the Rams would get much more than that for Johnson.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Maybe he does better in man than we think. I have my doubts though. I think Phillips either adjusts his system to fit Tru into it or they continue to try to trade him away. They may have to wait until after the draft or into camp for it to happen, which likely means a pick from next years draft. If you recall the Rams only paid a 4th and 6th to get Barron. I don't know why the Rams would get much more than that for Johnson.

Barron was regarded as a bust for Tampa Bay, TruJo is perhaps overvalued by some in L.A., but he is far from bust material. Lovie Smith didn't know how to use Barron, then Greg Williams showed him. Barron was a steal for us, and a new era in hybrid SS > OLB use became a 'thing'.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade's scheme is a mix of man and an aggressive zone that sits on route tendencies and passes receivers off. Tru is going to be just fine in this scheme because he will be well prepared for each opponent and won't need to think as much. He will look very good this season if he's in horns IMO.

The trade efforts are just an acknowledgement they aren't interested in locking him up. This probably has to do with injuries, plus the fact they have other guys they do want to lock up in Donald, Ogletree, etc. But again they would not have tagged him unless they projected him to fit and play well in this scheme. That is a crucial part of the decision process IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barron was a steal for us, and a new era in hybrid SS > OLB use became a 'thing'.

Barron was a steal before we paid him. After that, his play dipped considerably.

And the new era in hybrid SS use started before the Rams and Barron.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Valuable is one thing, 16.7 mill is another

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Valuable is one thing, 16.7 mill is another

It's a lot to us. But to teams with each snapshot of a season in terms of cap hit it's not the end of the world. What teams are truly terrified by is signing a player to a multi-year deal and then they tank. The one year deals--even for top money--tend to be very much favored by them because the player is likely going to give it everything he has and even worst case scenario the team is out from under it if he doesn't.

Right now for example the concerns are last year's contracts for guys like Tavon and Barron. Kevin structured them well, granted, but when you're locked into multi-year deals for guys who bring high cap hits but might not bring the production that is the stuff of nightmares for execs.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Barron was a steal before we paid him. After that, his play dipped considerably.

And the new era in hybrid SS use started before the Rams and Barron.

It started before, but Williams' development made it more widespread and acceptable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It started before, but Williams' development made it more widespread and acceptable.

I don't know, maybe so. But when I consider the SS usage in a LB role I think of the Cards being a bit ahead of us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a lot to us. But to teams with each snapshot of a season in terms of cap hit it's not the end of the world. What teams are truly terrified by is signing a player to a multi-year deal and then they tank. The one year deals--even for top money--tend to be very much favored by them because the player is likely going to give it everything he has and even worst case scenario the team is out from under it if he doesn't.

Right now for example the concerns are last year's contracts for guys like Tavon and Barron. Kevin structured them well, granted, but when you're locked into multi-year deals for guys who bring high cap hits but might not bring the production that is the stuff of nightmares for execs.
We have many needs and could use the cap space. Maybe we cant replace Tru, but spreading that cap space on 2 other weak areas could give greater improvement. I don't think 1 year deals are popular in the nfl at all. In fact I think the opposite. Tru has devastated the cap for 31 mill over last year and this. Cant say that so far there has been a payoff

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have many needs and could use the cap space. Maybe we cant replace Tru, but spreading that cap space on 2 other weak areas could give greater improvement. I don't think 1 year deals are popular in the nfl at all. In fact I think the opposite. Tru has devastated the cap for 31 mill over last year and this. Cant say that so far there has been a payoff

Which FAs do you still see out there who could help us more than Trumaine? Genuine question here, because I don't see much quality left. But Trumaine playing his last season in horns and excelling would win us far more games than any guys they'd bring in at this point.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which FAs do you still see out there who could help us more than Trumaine? Genuine question here, because I don't see much quality left. But Trumaine playing his last season in horns and excelling would win us far more games than any guys they'd bring in at this point.

WR - Boldin
C - Sullivan/Mangold
OLB depth - Chris Long

All the above could be cheap one year contracts, but they fill needed depth with strong experience, and should be a locker room plus, and i'm sure there are a few others ...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that is a loaded question because we could have used that cap room already had we not franchised him.
So looking at what is left now is irrelevant, maybe it cost us Desean Jackson or another FA o-lineman. And Tru while good, has never been a lock down corner that is single handed winning games. He's not Revis in his prime. He was average last year and if Phillips system is so great, they why doesn't Wade think he's a fit?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
WR - Boldin
C - Sullivan/Mangold
OLB depth - Chris Long

All the above could be cheap one year contracts, but they fill needed depth with strong experience, and should be a locker room plus, and i'm sure there are a few others ...

Bolden, Sullivan YES no thank you to Long. Ship has sailed and I don't believe he would want a return. I'd throw a TJ trade on the wishlist and call it an off-season prior to the draft. Then go land Engram, Lewis, and a starting center, possibly Dielman, in the draft and I'm ready to rock!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Bolden, Sullivan YES no thank you to Long. Ship has sailed and I don't believe he would want a return. I'd throw a TJ trade on the wishlist and call it an off-season prior to the draft. Then go land Engram, Lewis, and a starting center, possibly Dielman, in the draft and I'm ready to rock!!!

Chris Long had a better 2016 than either of Westbrooks or Longacre, i'd sign Chris in a snap over keeping those two. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was average last year and if Phillips system is so great, they why doesn't Wade think he's a fit?

We're kind of goin around in circles here so the last note I'll make on this particular conversation is that Phillips does consider him a fit, otherwise the Rams would not have franchised him. You don't franchise a guy in the hopes you can trade him, that way lies madness and the unemployment line.

This is why I see it the way I do: they have to see him as capable of excelling in this defense by virtue of the tag, but they are willing to move him because know they're going to lose him and this is a deep CB draft. It's that simple IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WR - Boldin
C - Sullivan/Mangold
OLB depth - Chris Long

I'd rather have Tru and it's not close.