Rams trading away 101st pick could be costly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams trading away 101st pick could be costly

When the LA Rams and Detroit Lions sat down to discuss and leverage one another for a package that would pry quarterback Matthew Stafford from the Detroit Lions, there was a great deal of confusion as to which 2021 NFL Draft third-round pick was eventually included. How so?

Well, thanks to two rather valuable compensatory picks being awarded to the Rams this year in round three, the Rams had three picks to choose from. Well, rather, three picks to offer up. But truth be tole, I wished that the Rams had wriggled out of trading away a third-round pick in 2021, and had deflected the compensation to a fourth-round pick or later this year, and even added a day three pick in 2022

You see, there were many strategies that were lost at the moment that the Rams agreed to trade away a 2021 third-round pick. What strategies? Well, let’s talk this one through…

Round three for the Rams truly is the main entree of the 2021 NFL Draft for the team’s restocking the roster efforts. And with three picks in the round, the Rams had far more control over what will transpire in that round. You see, they had their first pick at 88 to choose one of the more talented prospects who could make an impact in 2021. With the 101st pick, the Rams could survey who was remaining on the board.

A trio of third-round picks was a good setup

If the team had a prospect drop to them at 101, then of course use that pick. But if the Rams had multiple players of value there, then they could listen to offers to trade back. And I can guarantee you, in this helter-skelter draft, the offers will be flying in constantly at each pick.

At 101, the draft begins to turn the corner. Consensus top talent begins to deplete, and now the value of prospects begins to fall to the eye of the beholder. Defensive backs and wide receivers begin to fill the draft board. And with just the San Francisco 49ers choosing at 102, the LA Rams can set themselves up very nicely for a nice value at both 101 and 103.

Imagine the Rams selecting at 101 with Quinn Meinerz, Creed Humprhey, and Josh Myers still on the board (it’s a scenario to prove the point). Normally, the Rams would be forced to select a center, because they would not have the chance again for two dozen or so picks.

The aftermath

But with three third-round picks in the vault, the Rams would have indeed been able to entertain the value of trading back to get more picks because they would know that one of the three centers that they value will still be there. And that would apply to any number of prospects and positions of need.

According to Tankathon.com, the Detroit Lions are not exactly swimming in draft picks, boasting just six picks in the 2021 NFL Draft, including the LA Rams compensatory pick in round three. But the Lions hold the seventh overall pick of the draft, and I would expect them to entertain offers to trade out of that pick in order to garner more draft picks in this draft. To the Lions, it’s about getting volume picks. A 2021 fourth-round pick and a 2022 sixth-round pick would have been just as valuable.

Yes, this is just another wudda cudda shudda article. But when the LA Rams are limited to just six NFL Draft picks at a time when the shopping list for roster needs is pretty long, maybe we should be talking about it more. The Rams need picks in the 2021 NFL Draft. Here’s hoping that they can pull another miracle draft out of this year’s rookie class.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Since so much of this is speculation anyway, i'll add my two cents.
Should the Rams draft a Center & OT with our first 2 draft picks, then Havenstein easily becomes trade bait imo. It doesn't matter whether we trade down our #57 pick or not, the Rams could then trade our current #103, Havenstein and even perhaps a 2022 draft pick to move back up in the 3'rd round if it appears we have a targeted player in mind. We may not have many high draft picks, but Snead still has plenty of options to explore. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Since so much of this is speculation anyway, i'll add my two cents.
Should the Rams draft a Center & OT with our first 2 draft picks, then Havenstein easily becomes trade bait imo. It doesn't matter whether we trade down our #57 pick or not, the Rams could then trade our current #103, Havenstein and even perhaps a 2022 draft pick to move back up in the 3'rd round if it appears we have a targeted player in mind. We may not have many high draft picks, but Snead still has plenty of options to explore. jmo.
Yes, Hav is a great high card to hold onto with plans to utilize if need be. Like I posted before there will be a few teams who will be needing a good starting veteran RT to boost their running attack & Hav can be obtained with a trade for Day 2 selection or involved in a trade-up scenario.

Rams have an overloaded amount of good young low salary starting RT prospects. That can be inserted in TC battles & see who wins the RT position. Rams get additional salary stash for filling needs from other teams released veterans after the draft. Snead always seems to be able to be in a position very late just before the season begins to get what he needs @ the WWC thrift store.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Yes, Hav is a great high card to hold onto with plans to utilize if need be. Like I posted before there will be a few teams who will be needing a good starting veteran RT to boost their running attack & Hav can be obtained with a trade for Day 2 selection or involved in a trade-up scenario.

Rams have an overloaded amount of good young low salary starting RT prospects. That can be inserted in TC battles & see who wins the RT position. Rams get additional salary stash for filling needs from other teams released veterans after the draft. Snead always seems to be able to be in a position very late just before the season begins to get what he needs @ the WWC thrift store.
Name one?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yes, this is just another wudda cudda shudda article. But when the LA Rams are limited to just six NFL Draft picks at a time when the shopping list for roster needs is pretty long, maybe we should be talking about it more. The Rams need picks in the 2021 NFL Draft. Here’s hoping that they can pull another miracle draft out of this year’s rookie class.
"ROD bot, open the pod bay doors please..."
iu

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Out of everything done this is the one thing that could be costly? :D

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man this guy must be bored as fuck and running out of things to write about.

nobody in the history of the league has thought losing a conditional 3rd round pick as costly. especially if it was needed to get the qb the hc wants to lead the team.

TexasRam

Legend

man this guy must be bored as fuck and running out of things to write about.

nobody in the history of the league has thought losing a conditional 3rd round pick as costly. especially if it was needed to get the qb the hc wants to lead the team.

Yea even I will side with the dark side here.

If Stafford does really turn out to be the level up that Mcvay thinks, which I seriously have my doubts. Not because I don't like Stafford, but because I saw other factors as the real issue. But assuming for a minute Mcvay is right and Stafford is the man that leads us to the promise land, well a 3rd round draft pick is small fries.

If the guy wanted to make an arguement, the two firsts and 3rd is the argument to make. Though now would be a tad late to join that discussion.

Good ole Rod Bot stirring the pot. Beware the Robots.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean the trade for Stafford and dumping Goffs salary. The end.

Stafford has the exact same cap hit as goff would have had if he was with the team. Don't use talking heads as a guide, they don't know their heads from their arse.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Stafford has the exact same cap hit as goff would have had if he was with the team. Don't use talking heads as a guide, they don't know their heads from their arse.

not after this year.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
i'm almost positive they both would have accounted for a $43m cap hit over the next 2 seasons, assuming the rams kept goff.

I’m not sure either. However Goffs’ contract goes longer than 2 years with a lot of money tied to it.