Rams' top play winner: Mike Jones' tackle/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams' top play winner: Mike Jones' tackle
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/9616/rams-top-play-winner-jones-tackles-dyson

We have a winner. The voters picked Mike Jones' game-saving tackle as time expired in Super Bowl XXXIV as the Rams' most memorable play.

While I can certainly understand why The Tackle emerged victorious, I would cast my vote in a different direction. To me, the most memorable play in franchise history came moments before Jones brought Tennessee receiver Kevin Dyson down at the 1-yard line. Wide receiver Isaac Bruce's 73-yard touchdown catch to give the Rams the lead in that game is my choice for the top play in Rams history, narrowly edging Jones' tackle and Ricky Proehl's 30-yard touchdown in the NFC Championship Game.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the three plays that were nominated here. All of them were integral in the Rams' pursuit of a Super Bowl title. To differentiate is difficult, but I would argue for Bruce's catch because it's the one play of the three where I can argue that without it, the Rams wouldn't have won the world title.

Proehl's catch, as great as it was, came with the Rams in reasonable field goal range. If Proehl doesn't make the play, the Rams can line up for a 47-yard field goal and still take the lead. That's no chip shot or guarantee, but there was still a way for the Rams to win the game. And while Jones' tackle saved the victory for the Rams, many forget that if Dyson had slipped past him, the Titans would have had to kick an extra point to tie the game (or if coach Jeff Fisher wanted to get crazy, go for two and the win). Theoretically, the Rams still could have won the game in overtime, though momentum clearly was swinging in the Titans' direction.

But ultimately, Bruce's play stands above the rest to me because it most properly defines the greatest era in team history. The "Greatest Show on Turf" was known for its quick-strike ability to score from anywhere on the field at any moment.

After blowing a 16-point lead in the second half, the Rams were on the ropes. The personality of that team came directly from its no-fear approach to offense and coordinator Mike Martz's propensity for keeping the gas pedal pressed down for 60 minutes.

With the Rams reeling, it was fitting that Kurt Warner, the supernova quarterback who came from nowhere, connected with Bruce, the mainstay superstar who had been through all the bad times, to give the Rams a lead they would not relinquish and a championship they'd forever cherish.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the three plays are tied together because they happened in bangbang fashion at the end of a magical season. Had these plays happened in different years it would be a little easier to separate them. But take any of them away and maybe there is no happy ending to a miracle season.

My vote has always belonged to the Proehl catch because of how unlikely it was and because without it the Rams might not go to the SB.

If you watch that play in slow motion from the front side angle it was as perfect a throw as Warner may have ever made and that's saying a lot considering his ability to put a ball in the perfect spot.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He makes a good point. Proehl's catch was awesome too. But Jones tackle came on a last second play, on the end of one of the most epic drives in history, in probably the most exciting SB ever played. That's drama right there. I've never felt that much intensity on a single play. Besides, who says we wouldn't have scored on that drive with Bruce's catch anyway? It actually hurt us that we scored so fast, in a way.

Steve McNair's last drive was awesome, to my mind the only "running" QB to ever live up to the hype. That tackle defined that whole season of improbability.