Rams to rest Goff, Gurley, Donald, Whitworth, Sullivan and others against 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
YcAQlkx.gif

Someone's trollin the FA list for their fantasy team... :rolllaugh:

I'd love for Mannion to throw for 300+ yards on the 49ers. Let's make him attractive trade bait!

I think that is very possible. SF passer rating against is 95.3, which is terrible. That plus the fact that I know McVay will have Mannion ready schematically means he's going to be just fine. Sean's a smart dude, I really think he will play well on Sunday and this isn't necessarily going to be a conceded loss by any stretch.

My main question is does Mannion get all the #1 snaps this weak? As well as all the backups? How do they usually work a scenerio like this? Never heard of how they go about the week of practice.

Yes, he would have to get the snaps and full prep.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/...as-rams-opt-to-rest-jared-goff-against-49ers/

Sean Mannion gets a chance as Rams opt to rest Jared Goff against 49ers

By Rich Hammond | rhammond@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: December 27, 2017 at 5:18 pm | UPDATED: December 27, 2017 at 6:08 pm
THOUSAND OAKS — It’s audition time for Sean Mannion.

The Rams will rest many of their top players in Sunday’s regular-season finale against San Francisco at the Coliseum, including quarterback Jared Goff, which means Mannion will start his first NFL game.

There’s no competition anymore. That wasn’t certain in training camp, when even a Rams Hall of Fame former player called for Mannion to start over Goff. That was equal parts criticism of Goff and praise of Mannion, the third-year quarterback who often has looked good in preseason games and practices.

Goff, of course, now holds sole dominion over this Rams’ offense and has put together a season so strong that he was named first alternate to the NFC Pro Bowl team.

The Rams (11-4) have clinched the NFC West title and a first-round home playoff game and cannot play their way into a bye, so Coach Sean McVay made the prudent decision to rest Goff, running back Todd Gurley, offensive linemen Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan, defensive lineman Aaron Donald and others.

That means a backup-heavy lineup will face the 49ers (5-10), and most notably, Mannion is scheduled to play the entire game with Goff as his backup.

“I’m super excited,” Mannion said after Wednesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “It’s the opportunity of a lifetime. It’s something I’ve wanted for my whole career, my whole life. To get to do it is a great opportunity for me and a great opportunity for our team. Coach McVay talked about it with everybody. We’re all going out there to try to win the game. I’m just excited to be out there and get a chance to play.”

McVay’s decision to keep Goff on the sideline was pragmatic. Goff, who has started all 15 games, isn’t exactly worn down, but the Rams don’t want to risk injury, particularly with Whitworth and Sullivan out.

Goff said McVay made “a good decision” to rest players against the 49ers, even though Goff feels good.

“I don’t feel banged up or anything,” Goff said, “but a week off never hurts, especially this late in the year. With four preseason games and 15 regular-season games, it can wear on you, but I feel good. I think ultimately this is going to help guys who really take a beating. I’ve been kept pretty clean.”

This isn’t an ideal situation for Mannion, who likely will play behind three backup linemen and without Gurley, the Rams’ biggest offensive threat, but in some ways, it’s a no-lose situation for Mannion.

Given the numbers of Rams who will sit out, Mannion isn’t expected to work wonders, but if he thrives, it could open some eyes around the league. Mannion is under contract through the 2018 season, but in a league that always is starved for a next-big-thing quarterback, Mannion could land on some teams’ radar.

A third-round draft pick in 2015, Mannion has appeared in six regular-season games — mostly in late-game duty — and completed 11 of 16 attempts for 66 yards, zero touchdowns and one interception. Mannion played three preseason games this year and completed 64.5 percent of his attempts for 490 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

And while McVay and coaches such as offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur and quarterbacks coach Greg Olson have been credited for Goff’s development, they’ve also been working with Mannion, who said he has improved even though he hasn’t played much in 2017.

“Absolutely. Sean and Matt and Olly have all been great,” Mannion said. “It’s a great environment for a quarterback to be in, I think. Really, all of our coaching has been great for us. They know how to articulate things so that they make sense for a quarterback. I feel like I’ve developed a lot this year, and I think our team has been playing great football. So I’m excited to get a chance to play this week.”

McVay did not disclose the full list of players who will miss Sunday’s game, but it also stands to include offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, linebackers Mark Barron, Alec Ogletree, Connor Barwin and Robert Quinn, plus receiver Cooper Kupp, who aggravated a knee injury last week against Tennessee.

To get as many healthy players on the 53-man roster as possible, the Rams have made a series of moves this week. Linebacker Kasim Edebali was waived, defensive back Marqui Christian was placed on injured reserve and linebacker Matt Longacre is headed to injured reserve and will undergo back surgery.

The Rams promoted offensive lineman Aaron Neary and linebacker Garrett Sickels from their practice squad, and also have a spot open for safety Cody Davis, who is eligible to return after having missed nine consecutive games with a quadriceps injury.

The Rams added tight end Henry Krieger-Cobble and cornerback Taurean Nixon to their practice squad.

PAID IN FULL

McVay said he is mindful that some players might be financially harmed by not playing Sunday, because they have incentive bonuses in their contracts for reaching a certain number of games or yards.

McVay indicated that Rams management would, within reason, pay out the bonuses to players who would have reached their incentive levels if not for his decision to sideline them.

“You figure out how to make good on some of those things,” McVay said. “You don’t want them to not reach their incentives because of a coach’s decision to hold you and get you healthy for the playoffs.”

TEAM AWARDS

Gurley was named team MVP, Whitworth won the “Spirit of the Game” Award and Kupp was named rookie of the year when the Rams announced their annual team awards Wednesday. Players and coaches voted on the awards.

Gurley leads the NFL in all-purpose yards and touchdowns and Kupp leads all rookies in receiving yards. Whitworth’s award the player “who best exemplifies sportsmanship, ethic and commitment to teammates.”

SCHEDULE TIME

The Rams’ 2018 schedule is almost set. The Rams will have home games against the Chargers, Arizona, Green Bay, Kansas City, Minnesota, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Seattle, although as a team playing in a temporary stadium, the Rams are obligated to play an international game, likely in London or Mexico.

The Rams will play Arizona, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Oakland, San Francisco and Seattle on the road, plus the champion of the NFC South, which will be either Carolina or New Orleans.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I love this move . I' expect Tree , Quinn Watkins, woods and some other key players will be subbed out before half time.

Can't wait to see this playoff schedule !

…..

Legend
Looks like a tough schedule for 2018!

As for this year and this week, I'm curious about the split in reps. Need to keep our guys sharp but my guess is since they took off until Wednesday, the whole week will be a modified schedule and less than grueling for the team.

nighttrain

Legend
Who else thinks it will benefit Goff to be holding the clipboard and viewing the game from the sideline?
Great opportunity for Goff to see the field from coaches perspective
trai

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
To bad this isn't an away game. That way the team could have just "missed" their flight and forfeited