Rams to promote Cignetti to Offensive Coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
this hiring feels as though I've been in a hospital bed for ages waiting for the doctor to finally tell me the name of my disease

all jokes aside, I'm happy for Coach Cignetti and believe he's gonna get the most out of Bradford!!!!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"Cignetti was most successful serving as the offensive coordinator at Fresno State for four years from 2002 until 2006. In 2004, Fresno State's offense ranked fifth nationally and seventh in 2005. In 2004 Fresno State became the sixth team in NCAA history to score over 50 points in four consecutive games. The 2004 team also led theWestern Athletic Conference in average yards per carry and amassed 65 touchdowns."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Cignetti,_Jr.

Have to dig a little deeper for his other tenures.
Those Fresno State offenses were amazing.
I hope he doesn't have Schotty's habits of going into fetal position after a comfortable lead. Now the question is who do we hire as QB coach
Martz for QB Coach :)
You know the Green Bay offense? ... Yes, it’s a lot like that offense.

“The foundation is the same,” Cignetti said ... he describes as a combination of West Coast offense and Don Coryell’s Digit play-calling system ...
Let's hope Fish gives him the freedom
Let's roll, Cigs!!! See what I did there?
Cig's offense will roll over other teams this season.

Fisher smokes Cig's.
Im not all that thrilled about this but what can you do? They will probably still run Shotty's basic offense and just tweak it. I just hope Cignetti ends up being a better play caller than Shotty.
Incredible avatar, @tahoe ... did you create that yourself?

fearsomefour

Legend
It's ok with me.
Minimizing the amount of change is a good thing in terms of having a less chaotic offseason.

RamBill

Legend
Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Tough in-house decision for Rams new OC now decided, as Fisher goes back-and-forth between Cignetti and Boras. . Cignetti will be OC; Boras will be assistant head coach/offense. Formal announcement will come early next week. (story to come)

Also, Rams assistant line coach Clyde Simmons interviewing for head defensive line coach job w/Raiders.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
At this point I would rather they go with continuity than bring in their 5th choice of new offenses.

Let's hope the guy can call some plays and most importantly, let's hope he can adjust in game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The biggest question remains, how is he going to use Tavon? That's our most dangerous weapon. Here's to hoping he can do something better than try running him up the middle 3 times in a row!
Awww come on. Shotty is still setting up the Mother of all play action with that play call.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Am I the only one a tad worried that continuity coming from an offense that hasn't been good in years might not be a good thing? Nothing against Mr C, I don't know much about him, but I am a touch skeptical I guess.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm good with it. Can't wait to see what those two do together.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, it all makes sense now.
Force Schotty out so they can tap the brilliance that is the coordinator who's never coordinated in the NFL.

Y'all nailed it. :ROFLMAO:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Force Schotty out so they can tap the brilliance that is the coordinator who's never coordinated in the NFL.

It's really not going to matter after the first questionable call. He'll be dog meat, like all of our previous OC's.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Even you started somewhere no? :cool:

CeeDub

UDFA
Name
LUVDARAMS
Took a look last week at youtube footage of Fresno State Bulldogs in 2004 and 2005, check out the Fresno State vs USC 2005 and Fresno State vs Kansas State and Fresno State vs Washington in 2004. In the Kansas State game you will see a little bit of Logan Mankins, boy he was a beast he made one guy quit like a girl, funny stuff. Based on looking at the film tape Cignetti appears to utilize a fullback instead of H-back so that could be something new this year so look for draft interviews that involve fullback types, could make signing of Cory Harkey moot at this point, but will wait and see. In 2004 he appeared to run more two tight end formations for power running and a lot of play action passes. He likes to attack the middle of the field on downfield passing game with slants, posts, and seam routes. He loves to throw to the backs out of the back field so Tre Mason and crew will need to focus on their pass receiving skills even more, he likes to keep blocking TE in for pass blocking, it appears Cignetti likes to use his receivers and backs as pass targets, plus a lot of screen action. He also likes to use three wide receiver formations and might even incorporate some four wide receiver formations. I could see a three wide receiver formation of Britt, Quick, and Bailey with Tavon in the back field with Tavon not staying to block but to release out of back field for reception, I could see Cignetti using Tavon much like Philly uses Sproles and New England uses Vereen. We need to get Tavon out in space where he can do some damage. I would look for us to get a better pass blocking TE than Lance Kendricks because again Cignetti appears to like using in-line TE's to pass block instead using his backs.

Based on what others have posted before Cignetti sounds like he will utilize our best talent and create miss-matches for the defense, I think he will have a plan for Tavon Austin to get him out in space. Based Wikipedia Cignetti's offenses have ranked in the top tier most seasons he was OC with a 30+ point per game average. Noticed on the Fresno vs Washington tape that Cignetti called plays from the booth so not sure he will do that with the Rams, also you will notice that he gets amped on some of the play calls and has high fives for all those around him, he appears to like to take it to the defense and win his match ups, have to admit I am intrigued by what this guy could do for our offense.

Cignetti had Logan Mankins in 2004 and his OL's appeared to be big and physical, I sure hope he presses Snead/Fisher to get him a road grading and good pass blocking LG in FA/Draft, I think we can have a serviceable Center in either Barnes/Jones/Rhaney, and resign Barksdale. I would love to get Scherff at #10 and plug him next to Robinson and man you could probably run a freight truck through the left side of our line with the hole being so big.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Took a look last week at youtube footage of Fresno State Bulldogs in 2004 and 2005, check out the Fresno State vs USC 2005 and Fresno State vs Kansas State and Fresno State vs Washington in 2004. In the Kansas State game you will see a little bit of Logan Mankins, boy he was a beast he made one guy quit like a girl, funny stuff. Based on looking at the film tape Cignetti appears to utilize a fullback instead of H-back so that could be something new this year so look for draft interviews that involve fullback types, could make signing of Cory Harkey moot at this point, but will wait and see. In 2004 he appeared to run more two tight end formations for power running and a lot of play action passes. He likes to attack the middle of the field on downfield passing game with slants, posts, and seam routes. He loves to throw to the backs out of the back field so Tre Mason and crew will need to focus on their pass receiving skills even more, he likes to keep blocking TE in for pass blocking, it appears Cignetti likes to use his receivers and backs as pass targets, plus a lot of screen action. He also likes to use three wide receiver formations and might even incorporate some four wide receiver formations. I could see a three wide receiver formation of Britt, Quick, and Bailey with Tavon in the back field with Tavon not staying to block but to release out of back field for reception, I could see Cignetti using Tavon much like Philly uses Sproles and New England uses Vereen. We need to get Tavon out in space where he can do some damage. I would look for us to get a better pass blocking TE than Lance Kendricks because again Cignetti appears to like using in-line TE's to pass block instead using his backs.

Based on what others have posted before Cignetti sounds like he will utilize our best talent and create miss-matches for the defense, I think he will have a plan for Tavon Austin to get him out in space. Based Wikipedia Cignetti's offenses have ranked in the top tier most seasons he was OC with a 30+ point per game average. Noticed on the Fresno vs Washington tape that Cignetti called plays from the booth so not sure he will do that with the Rams, also you will notice that he gets amped on some of the play calls and has high fives for all those around him, he appears to like to take it to the defense and win his match ups, have to admit I am intrigued by what this guy could do for our offense.

Cignetti had Logan Mankins in 2004 and his OL's appeared to be big and physical, I sure hope he presses Snead/Fisher to get him a road grading and good pass blocking LG in FA/Draft, I think we can have a serviceable Center in either Barnes/Jones/Rhaney, and resign Barksdale. I would love to get Scherff at #10 and plug him next to Robinson and man you could probably run a freight truck through the left side of our line with the hole being so big.
Rams have already interviewed some fullbacks, so you might have something there.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

Good stuff

// on a side note it would be pretty badass to have our OC calling plays from the booth - gives me this sense of omnipresence
haven't seen that for a while - who was the last of our Rams OC's to call plays from the booth?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Of course. I have nothing against Cignetti.
Just the story that preceded him.
Yes, but are you sure they forced him out or did he just leave the Rams of free will?

lockdnram21

Legend
Every one is talking about hope he use Tavon Austin. Me personally i think its more TA not being who they thought he was compared to blaming schotty. I still think the main receivers will be Quick, Britt, and Stedman. TA is going to end up being more of a rb then wr