Rams Statistical Rankings: Through Week 3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
OFFENSE
Scoring: 25.7ppg (8th)
Third Down Conversion Rate: 45.45% (12th)
Rushing 1st Downs: 6.3pg (13th)
Yards Per Completion: 10.7 (16th)
QB Sacked Percentage: 5.41% (16th)
Note: Gurley is 4th among all backs in success rate, 5th in DYAR, and 6th in DVOA link.

DEFENSE
Scoring: 16.3ppg (7th)
Third Down Conversion Rate: 37.50% (12th)
Rushing 1st Downs: 4.7 (T-6th)
Opponent Team Passer Rating: 66.2 (3rd)
Sack Percentage: 6.84% (14th) ***Rams' numbers are misleading here (rush is better than it looks) due to opponents dishing ball quickly.

Reading between the lines:
*Offense is mediocre range on many key stats.
*Gurley still among the best backs in this league, which is crazy given his usage.
*Opposing passer rating demonstrates the continued excellence of this secondary, we are certainly an elite unit on the back end.
*Ranking 7th in scoring defense while giving up a mediocre third down conversion rate shows room for improvement/growth. Scoring in top 5 is possible IMO.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
well, Scoring we are top 10 and we know we can be a lot better. And yet people are claiming the sky is falling... Just sayin

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only stat that matters to me is that W-L column

I get that, but literally 25% of the league has not lost a game yet. This means that a 3-0 team could be anywhere from a Super Bowl contender to fringe playoff team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I get that, but literally 25% of the league has not lost a game yet. This means that a 3-0 team could be anywhere from a Super Bowl contender to fringe playoff team.

True, but look at some of the opponents teams have played.

Patriots three wins come against teams that are now 0-9 combined. Steelers, Jets, and Dolphins.

Bills three wins against the Jets, Bengals and Giants, a whopping 1 win between those teams.

So the AFC North undefeated teams have yet to play any real competition.

Chiefs have played the Jags who are meh to me, the Raiders who are meh, and the Ravens who are probably good, albeit not as good as their first two weeks suggest (wins against the Dolphins and Cardinals don't exactly impress me).

For the NFC we have the Cowboys, Rams, Niners, and Packers all 3-0... Cowboys have played the Giants, Redskins, and Dolphins, three of the worst teams in the league, Niners have played against the Bucs, Bengals, and Steelers, three more bottom feeders. Packers have some quality wins under their belt, so do the Rams.

Now not all of these teams are paper tiger teams. I think the Chiefs, and Patriots are obviously the real deal. The Cowboys will be solid, but they're beating up on easy teams still, and the Packers I'm not convinced on yet, but they could be solid. Bills I'm not sold on either.

In terms of the 3-0 teams the Rams, Chiefs, and Patriots are the only ones who are a legit title contender, the rest I don't think they're there yet.

fearsomefour

Legend
Anyone can tell the defense is better.
If the Rams D can keep an average under 20 PPG that will equal a lot of wins.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Considering record of opponents, the Rams are 1st in the NFC, undefeated and in the top 10 in almost all key stats on both sides of the ball.
Our defense was outstanding in the SB and look determined to finish what they have started with what appears to be the league's most complete unit in 2019.
McVay probably could have used that Weddle and Mathews $$ on the offensive line, but I believe he and Snead agreed to put those resources on the side of the ball that did everything you could ask from them in a title game.

McVay is smart. If he can win a SB with Wade Phillips defense, he is only buying himself more years of stability to run his offense. After all the praise and success being attributed to his coaching offense, he didn't let his ego get in the way and focus solely on the O.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'd like to see this defense go up against a powerhouse running team.

That should tell us where we are.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I wonder how the Rams rank with turn overs on offense and defense?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Considering record of opponents, the Rams are 1st in the NFC, undefeated and in the top 10 in almost all key stats on both sides of the ball.
I'm content to wait for them to get it together before I look past the struggles. I have little doubt the offense will get back on track, just want to see it to rule out the possibility we might be a defense-dominating team this year. Which I'm fine with btw as long as our defense gets into that elite range.

If they finish top 5 scoring we're going to be in the Super Bowl again. Would say win it all but the goddamn Pats will probably be 1 in scoring sigh.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I’m safe saying that without Cooper Kupp, our third down conversion percentage would be somewhere around 20-30%.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd like to see this defense go up against a powerhouse running team.

That should tell us where we are.
Possibly, but this D isn't built to defend every blade of grass and stuff the run for 60 minutes. It's built to get to the QB and defend the pass. Think facing the Patriots, Saints, Chiefs etc.

I think its a versatile D and we've shown that we can get run stops at critical moments from time to time as well as beat run-oriented teams like Dallas, Seattle, Carolina even when they still "get theirs" in the final box score.

Just my take.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
In terms of the 3-0 teams the Rams, Chiefs, and Patriots are the only ones who are a legit title contender, the rest I don't think they're there yet.
...and yet, somehow, the rest of the league hasn't caught on yet. From NFL.com (smh):

1569374596931.png

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm content to wait for them to get it together before I look past the struggles. I have little doubt the offense will get back on track, just want to see it to rule out the possibility we might be a defense-dominating team this year. Which I'm fine with btw as long as our defense gets into that elite range.

If they finish top 5 scoring we're going to be in the Super Bowl again. Would say win it all but the goddamn Pats will probably be 1 in scoring sigh.

I don't think anyone should ignore anything. There is no denying the offense has been mediocre at times and there are ongoing issues with red zone scoring.

But if its possible to look at this team in a cynical, jaded, worst case scenario p.o.v., it's also very easy to look at this team and see a repeat trip to the SB and continued success for McVay, Goff and Co.
Being excited or being concerned are both reasonable perspectives, so I prefer to give these guys the benefit of the doubt.
A whole heck of a lot can change over 14 more weeks in the regular season.