Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
Imagine how good the secondary (and defense) could be with excellent pressure! From 2 interior lineman, and two young OLB, plus a blitzing LB or CB from time to time. I'm looking at it like "if it's Latu and a pressure DT at #52 or if it's Murphy/Newton and an OLB at #52, it makes no difference to me". The signings of DWill and White make those two approaches entirely possible.

But the White signing being an indication they will draft Latu (because they will take a chance on injury risk) might not be accurate. The risk on White is 1 year at 8 mil. The risk on Latu is 4 (or 5) years and more money. Losing an 8 mil gamble on a proven vet coming off injury isn't the same as blowing your first round pick AND losing more money.

As far as opening up all options in the draft, going into the off season their needs were:

OL = done
CB = done
TE (with Hig a PUP) = done
QB2 = done
S = done
WR3/4 = done
PK = ?????
Edge = ?????
DT (with AD gone) = ?????

Clearly, we'd expect those last 2 to be addressed early.
I wouldn’t put S as done. And I’d add RB2 as ?????

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Imagine how good the secondary (and defense) could be with excellent pressure! From 2 interior lineman, and two young OLB, plus a blitzing LB or CB from time to time. I'm looking at it like "if it's Latu and a pressure DT at #52 or if it's Murphy/Newton and an OLB at #52, it makes no difference to me". The signings of DWill and White make those two approaches entirely possible.

But the White signing being an indication they will draft Latu (because they will take a chance on injury risk) might not be accurate. The risk on White is 1 year at 8 mil. The risk on Latu is 4 (or 5) years and more money. Losing an 8 mil gamble on a proven vet coming off injury isn't the same as blowing your first round pick AND losing more money.

As far as opening up all options in the draft, going into the off season their needs were:

OL = done
CB = done
TE (with Hig a PUP) = done
QB2 = done
S = done
WR3/4 = done
PK = ?????
Edge = ?????
DT (with AD gone) = ?????

Clearly, we'd expect those last 2 to be addressed early.
I wouldn't say CB is done. White signed a 1 year deal and D Will only signed for 2 years. We will draft a CB, question is what round will we draft one

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well, lots of opinions and all make sense.

"I wouldn't say S is done"
"I wouldn't say CB is done"

Well I'm sure nothing is truly "done" but S and CB are more "done" than DT or Edge.

So would anybody be shocked if the first 2 picks were DT/Edge or Edge/DT? Then maybe RB2? Then maybe LB or WR? Once we get into the 5th and later, LB/WR/CB/S/DT/Edge.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Well I'm sure nothing is truly "done" but S and CB are more "done" than DT or Edge.

So would anybody be shocked if the first 2 picks were DT/Edge or Edge/DT? Then maybe RB2? Then maybe LB or WR? Once we get into the 5th and later, LB/WR/CB/S/DT/Edge.
The problem with focusing on positions of need, with higher draft capital, is that better talent may get passed on.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The problem with focusing on positions of need, with higher draft capital, is that better talent may get passed on.
Isn't that when a trade down is called for? And by "better talent", you're saying (for instance) by taking a DT/Edge we could be passing on a QB (or WR) who's more talented? I'll take that 7 days a week. And I'll debate till the cows come home, separating the #3 or #4 QB (or WR) from the #1 DT or Edge (or #2 or #3) is impossible. We may THINK we're passing on "better talent" when we really might be getting the "better talent". Of course if every team went BPA in their slot (and ignored need), some might have 5 QBs on their roster and 0 LT or 7 WRs and 0 QBs. IMO, this BPA BS is overplayed every year. I'd prefer the BETTER TEAM vs the more TALENTED ROSTER.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If he’s healthy…
That is the caveat. If healthy. Considering how many games he's missed the past couple years it would be prudent to assume CB is still a need in the draft. DT and edge are top priority. But with 3 picks on day 2 perhaps CB ain't far behind.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Isn't that when a trade down is called for? And by "better talent", you're saying (for instance) by taking a DT/Edge we could be passing on a QB (or WR) who's more talented? I'll take that 7 days a week. And I'll debate till the cows come home, separating the #3 or #4 QB (or WR) from the #1 DT or Edge (or #2 or #3) is impossible. We may THINK we're passing on "better talent" when we really might be getting the "better talent". Of course if every team went BPA in their slot (and ignored need), some might have 5 QBs on their roster and 0 LT or 7 WRs and 0 QBs. IMO, this BPA BS is overplayed every year. I'd prefer the BETTER TEAM vs the more TALENTED ROSTER.
Well just for arguments sake, we took AD when our D line wasn't the biggest need. BPA is always a great way to go and isn't BS at all. With that said, if we can marry BPA with need that's optimally the best route. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing exactly how that will work itself out until draft time. Good thing is the Rams have many ways to pivot thanks to our off-season signings.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Not real concerned about his recovery.
He'll have been in recovery 10 months before training camp, with two months to go before the season, where he may not even need to be a full go, unlike rooks and year two guys.
Akers made it back in 6 months.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Tre'Davious White's Achilles surgery was done by Rams' doctor​

Neal ElAttrache is one of the best-known surgeons in the country, performing surgeries to repair countless injuries to high-profile athletes. Last year alone, he did Aaron Rodgers’ Achilles surgery, Shohei Ohtani’s elbow surgery and Deshaun Watson’s shoulder repair.

ElAttrache also just so happens to be the Rams’ head physician, which can give the team an edge when it comes to evaluating a player’s injury and timetable for return.

The Rams are signing All-Pro cornerback Tre’Davious White to a one-year deal worth up to $10 million, a fairly risky contract for a player coming off an Achilles tear suffered last October. However, the Rams probably know more about White’s current health because it was ElAttrache who performed the surgery on his Achilles, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

White also spent some time with ElAttrache rehabbing the injury as he makes his way back for the 2024 season.

Even with potentially having some additional knowledge about White’s status, the Rams are taking a gamble by signing him to such a lucrative deal. They saw the impact Cam Akers’ torn Achilles had on his game; he’s never been the same running back since.

Not to mention, White tore his ACL in 2021, so he’s suffered two major injuries in the last three years.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Remarkable to me that the Rams appear to put such low value on upgrading edge.
We don't know who they've talked to but I don't think they wanted to allocate most of the cap to one person when there are multiple holes to fill.

Before last year's draft, some believed the front office didn't value investing in the OL. Well they flipped the script within the past year.

I'm sure edge will be a high priority in the draft.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
White needs to be healthy for the playoff push down the stretch. They should preserve him for the later half of the season. I know they need to win early to have the chance at the post season but having a Healthy White come playoff time could be instrumental in getting back to the big dance.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We don't know who they've talked to but I don't think they wanted to allocate most of the cap to one person when there are multiple holes to fill.

Before last year's draft, some believed the front office didn't value investing in the OL. Well they flipped the script within the past year.

I'm sure edge will be a high priority in the draft.
Do people forget that we had 2 rookie defensive lineman that showed some pass rushing chops last year? My guess is they are banking on Turner and Young to improve plus they'll add an edge somewhere in the draft. The Rams have shown to draft well for the most part in later rounds so even if they don't pick the position most want at the 1st or even 2nd round pick, they'll do a good job of at least identifying someone that can contribute to the D. McSnead really earned my trust that much more after last year.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Could a mod edit the title to have Tre'Davious White's correct name? No offense meant to @OldSchool , but I'd rather use the correct spelling of the name.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Well just for arguments sake, we took AD when our D line wasn't the biggest need. BPA is always a great way to go and isn't BS at all. With that said, if we can marry BPA with need that's optimally the best route. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing exactly how that will work itself out until draft time. Good thing is the Rams have many ways to pivot thanks to our off-season signings.
Maybe we went BPA and maybe we didn't. You don't believe DT was a need for the Rams in 2014? Brockers was going into his 3rd year and who else? Cudjo? I say DT was a need. Can you say with certainty AD was their #1 BPA there and not Cooks? Or Zach Martin? Sure BPA is BS.

When you say BPA isn't BS at all....let's say, if the Chargers are on the clock and the first 4 off the board are Caleb, Maye, Harrison and Alt, the Chargers should take Daniels? If he happens to be BPA? Despite having Herbert under center? EVERYBODY marries BPA and need. It's the most logical approach to drafting. I'd bet NOBODY goes strictly BPA.

The funny thing is many fans think their own BPA is the actual BPA so they bitch/complain when the team goes another direction. If we had access to the 32 teams big boards, we might find if those 4 went off the board we'd probably have a multitude of different BPA's for #5.

IMPO, BPA IS BS, as a rule. Need plays a huge part. That's not to say some teams don't go BPA if they can't trade down. But we'll never know for sure because teams will rarely divulge those facts. And when they do, can you really believe them?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Isn't that when a trade down is called for?
There are usually more teams looking to trade-Down, rather than Up; so it's not so easy to do.

And by "better talent", you're saying (for instance) by taking a DT/Edge we could be passing on a QB (or WR) who's more talented? I'll take that 7 days a week. And I'll debate till the cows come home, ...
Do Cows really come home? I know dogs will try to find their way home but Cows?

... separating the #3 or #4 QB (or WR) from the #1 DT or Edge (or #2 or #3) is impossible. We may THINK we're passing on "better talent" when we really might be getting the "better talent".
I don't understand Gibberish.
If you are suggesting a quality, starting DL is more valuable in the short-term than a #3 QB or #4 WR ... I agree

Of course if every team went BPA in their slot (and ignored need), some might have 5 QBs on their roster and 0 LT or 7 WRs and 0 QBs.
Yes ... that is EXACTLY what I am saying ... The 2024 Rams should have 5 Quarterbacks, 7 Wide Receivers and absolutely NO Offensive Linemen! It will completely confuse their opponents.

You have figured-out my Master Plan for Rams Success!

IMO, this BPA BS is overplayed every year. I'd prefer the BETTER TEAM vs the more TALENTED ROSTER.
I would suggest that the Better Teams HAVE the More Talented Roster because they mostly went Best Player Available with their top draft choices. I am only talking 1st and (sometimes) 2nd round selections.

However, you seem quite passionate about this topic, so ... with one Anecdote below ... I will step-away for you to make any and all final comments.

When the Rams used the 2nd overall pick in 2013 on Greg Robinson, they WERE drafting for need; but
When they used the 13th overall pick that same Draft on Aaron Donald, they were NOT drafting for need.

By-the-Way, I hope your Cow finds its way home.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Do people forget that we had 2 rookie defensive lineman that showed some pass rushing chops last year? My guess is they are banking on Turner and Young to improve plus they'll add an edge somewhere in the draft. The Rams have shown to draft well for the most part in later rounds so even if they don't pick the position most want at the 1st or even 2nd round pick, they'll do a good job of at least identifying someone that can contribute to the D. McSnead really earned my trust that much more after last year.
Thank you!! It's almost like people have forgotten we haven't had a 1st round pick in 8 years. And still have drafted well. And still have participated in 2 Super Bowls, winning one of them.

Pick #19 could disappear into thin air and they still could have a wildly successful draft. It's absolutely not necessary for #19 to be used on any specific position.