Rams Sign TE Kyle Markway

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m guessing he’s a very good blocker.

He's big at 6'4 250lbs
1627151731434.png

Markway looks bigger than his listed size (6-4, 250), with broad shoulders and a thick musculature, including a powerful lower half. Quality and tenacious blocker. Does not back down from the challenge of bigger defenders, showing good initial quickness, balance and power to create movement at the point of attack. Good technique, utilizing proper hand placement, knee bend and timing on combo blocks. Is no-nonsense after the catch, barreling downfield.

While Markway may block like an offensive lineman, he also runs like one, appearing to be wearing ankle weights and creeping up to top speed while showing very little burst out of his breaks — also a reflection of underdeveloped route-running. Missed almost all of 2016 and 2017 with injuries (foot, ribs).

PRO COMPARISON: Jeremy Sprinkle, Washington Redskins — At a time when oversized wide receivers have taken most of the NFL jobs at tight end, Markway (and Sprinkle) are exceptions, offering more as people-movers than pass-catchers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Competition for Mundt, maybe Harris
Yeah it looks to me like direct competition for Mundt. Who, to my eye at least, had a down year in 2020 in blocking compared to 2019. I don't recall him missing as many blocks but then again maybe I didn't see him enough in 2019 to note things. Could be in my mind I had him higher than I should in that role.

Either way if he's a blocking TE Mundt has himself some competition. Harris made this roster the moment he ran with the 1s during OTAs over Hopkins and Mundt.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's a PS candidate if he looks good in TC. The PS remains at 16 for this year with 4 protected players. I still see them carrying only 3 TEs but he could make a place for himself next year if he can function as a lead blocker, i.e. a pseudo fullback. I think they will include power runs if one of the TEs or even Skowronek can show they can play as a lead blocker. In play action the lead will often be unaccounted for in pass coverages as many FBs are.

I see no impact on this year's roster. Like I've said previously, Snead loves to look 1-2 years ahead. With this roster he has that luxury.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Player Bio

Coming out of St. Louis, Markway hoped to make a big impact for the Gamecocks early in his career. He played in all 12 games, even earning one start (three receptions, 57 yards, 19.0 average), but then the injury bug bit him. His 2016 season was lost to a foot injury and and his 2017 campaign was cut short after two games due to a rib injury suffered against his home-state Missouri Tigers. Markway returned to play in all 13 games in 2018 (three receptions, 53 yards, 17.7 average, one touchdown, one start) before finally getting his chance to be a regular contributor in the passing game the following fall. He started all 12 games for South Carolina, catching 31 passes for 349 yards (11.3 per) and two touchdowns.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Priority free agent
NFL Comparison
Ben Koyack

Overview
He has average size, below-average experience and production and his effort level was a little hot and cold as a blocker. However, he's instinctive as a pass-catcher and flashed enough on tape for consideration as an in-line or move tight end. Markway needs a basic route tree consisting of zone-beaters, quick curls, play-action drags and basic outs and more technique work as a blocker. He has a shot to make a roster as a third- fourth-string TE.

Strengths
  • Found added level of aggressiveness later in the 2019 season
  • Initial strike is usually centered and has some pop
  • Will work with some strain at point of attack
  • Used for in-line combo blocks and to stalk and sustain for receiver screens
  • Snaps head around from route breaks to locate throws
  • Admirable catch focus through traffic
  • Ability to drop low and pull throws off the turf
  • Sinks into space and presents quickly
  • Quick to pluck, tuck and run
Weaknesses
  • Just 14 career starts and one year of production
  • Missed 2016 and most of 2017 with injuries
  • Slow getting off the slot and into routes
  • Release can be clogged by route redirection
  • Needs better use of frame to protect catch-point underneath
  • No wiggle and all brawn in his run after catch
  • Too upright and straight-kneed as run blocker
  • Put some lackadaisical run-blocking tape out early in 2019 season

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Some of these vids lol. Gotta love the ones that have six iterations of the same play from different angles with a rap song for emphasis when it's a fucking pitch 'n catch.

Here's an ass kicking SC received from Clemson back in 2019. It's a full game but not too hard to bounce through and look at the SC offensive snaps. He's a straight blocker in that offense. It'll be interesting to see if he's grown enough to unseat Mundt, who knows the offense cold. I'd be surprised to see that tbh.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvpkQinB8E&ab_channel=TigerTV

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thinking this is a practice squad guy brought in for the future and competition today.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Some of these vids lol. Gotta love the ones that have six iterations of the same play from different angles with a rap song for emphasis when it's a fucking pitch 'n catch.

Here's an ass kicking SC received from Clemson back in 2019. It's a full game but not too hard to bounce through and look at the SC offensive snaps. He's a straight blocker in that offense. It'll be interesting to see if he's grown enough to unseat Mundt, who knows the offense cold. I'd be surprised to see that tbh.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvpkQinB8E&ab_channel=TigerTV

Did you watch your vid?
I read a scouting report that he can be a lazy blocker at times. The source wasn't exactly a top tier deal.( Lance Zierlein)
Just curious if he looked good as a blocker. I know he has really good hands.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you watch your vid?
I read a scouting report that he can be a lazy blocker at times. The source wasn't exactly a top tier deal.( Lance Zierlein)
Just curious if he looked good as a blocker. I know he has really good hands.
I didn't see lazy blocking he did a lot of pull type blocks and was fine. Not the best guy in space. Might be a nice fullback type, that may be what McVay sees idk. They're not gonna rank this guy out based on his receiving ability though, he's definitely a blocking TE.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I didn't see lazy blocking he did a lot of pull type blocks and was fine. Not the best guy in space. Might be a nice fullback type, that may be what McVay sees idk. They're not gonna rank this guy out based on his receiving ability though, he's definitely a blocking TE.
for sure for sure. Thanks for the scouting info.

dang

Legend
There is a valid reason the Rams picked up Markway. It’s just not apparent to me. Other than it involves little to no financial commitment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's a PS candidate if he looks good in TC. The PS remains at 16 for this year with 4 protected players. I still see them carrying only 3 TEs but he could make a place for himself next year if he can function as a lead blocker, i.e. a pseudo fullback. I think they will include power runs if one of the TEs or even Skowronek can show they can play as a lead blocker. In play action the lead will often be unaccounted for in pass coverages as many FBs are.

I see no impact on this year's roster. Like I've said previously, Snead loves to look 1-2 years ahead. With this roster he has that luxury.
Welcome back Old but not dead.The grave site still remains bare.I’m actually not sure how this will all playout ? I’m just going by groupings.

I think The Rams TE group is totally undervalued.This kid does have a long ways to go to make the roster & at best practices squad.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There is a valid reason the Rams picked up Markway. It’s just not apparent to me. Other than it involves little to no financial commitment.
Extra body & practice squad for the defense. Training camp is starting & it just goes that these players set up groupings. I like this interview with Jacoby Harris — very telling in a lot of aspects. Some my not read into it as deeply as myself though.