Rams Sign CB Coty Sensabaugh To A Three-Year Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

View: https://twitter.com/rand_getlin/status/709502407605006336

Didnt the Chargers sign Casey Hayward to a cheaper deal than this?

Yes, and the Jags signed Prince Amukamara for a 1yr 5M deal that is comparable to this.

This signing hurts in more ways than one.

Maybe Gregg can use him effectively. Maybe they did something right when he was in Tennessee.

EDIT: Checked seasons with GW as coach. Nothing impressive. This past year was his best, and it has somehow earned him this contract. How?

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I mean, does he play outside? Is he a slot guy? If he's a slot guy, that takes over for Joyner and Joyner is better. Is Joyner moving to safety and Coty to slot? If so, why is he getting paid more than Casey Hayward? Why him over Brandon Boykin? What? UP TO 19 MILLION? WHAT?

To me it means that the Rams have concerns with Gaines' return to health.

Hayward and Boykin are slot corners at best. Hope Cody has outside skills, at this point I do not know. If he can play outside good sign if not is not good.

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

The Los Angeles Rams added to their secondary Monday, agreeing to a 3-year deal with former Titans CB Coty Sensabaugh, a league source told ESPN. Sensabaugh started 15 games for the Titans in 2015 with 57 tackles, two interceptions and four pass breakups. After losing CB Janoris Jenkins to the New York Giants on the first day of free agency, the Rams were in need of help at the position. Sensabaugh played for current Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in 2013. Sensabaugh is the first free-agent signing the Rams have made from outside the organization in the new league year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/la/los-angeles-rams

A55VA6

Legend
Sensabaugh played under Greg Williams in 2013, so at least there's familiarity.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
To me it means that the Rams have concerns with Gaines' return to health.

Hayward and Boykin are slot corners at best. Hope Cody has outside skills, at this point I do not know. If he can play outside good sign if not is not good.

I don't think it means that at all. He can play outside - man is his supposed strength (fluid hips and 4.32 40 at the combine) - zone not so much.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
$5 million per for 3 years with incentives. Dude is depth on this roster regardless, he knows the system, and Demoff will structure the deal to ensure they can cut bait after a year.

If this helps Fish to draft a QB in round 1 it's money well spent IMO.

RamBill

Legend
Rams agree to three-year deal with Coty Sensabaugh
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com.au/american-foo...rams-fill-void-cornerback-add-coty-sensabaugh

The Los Angeles Rams have agreed to a three-year contract with cornerback Coty Sensabaugh, a source told ESPN.

The deal is worth just shy of $15 million and can be worth up to $19 million if he reaches incentives.

Sensabaugh, who started 15 games for the Tennessee Titans last season, will be counted on to help fill the void at the cornerback spot created when Janoris Jenkins signed a long-term contract with the New York Giants last week.

The Rams also will have cornerback E.J. Gaines returning from injury next season. Gaines missed the entire 2015 season after suffering a Lisfranc injury in training camp.

Cornerback Trumaine Johnson received the Rams' franchise tag on March 1. He signed the tender worth $13,952M on March 9.

It is expected that Sensabaugh will compete with Gaines for the outside cornerback spot opposite Johnson.

Sensabaugh, 27, played for current Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams when he was Tennessee's senior assistant defensive coach in 2013. If he doesn't win the competition with Gaines, Sensabaugh has the flexibility to play nickel as he did under Williams in Tennessee.

He has been on a two-day visit with the Rams before agreeing to his contract. He also had interest from the Dolphins, Giants, Seahawks and Bears.

Sensabaugh played 59 games in his first four seasons with the Titans, including 27 starts. Best suited to be the Titans' nickelback, he was forced into increased action in 2015 with Jason McCourty only playing four games because of a sports hernia injury.

He made the first two interceptions of his career in 2015, including a pick of Jameis Winston he returned for a touchdown in a season-opening blowout of the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay.

Sensabaugh was originally a fourth-round pick out of Clemson in 2012.

ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky contributed to this report.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Tom Pelissero of USA Today reports that the Rams are signing CB Coty Sensabaugh to a three-year contract.

• Aaron Wilson reports that Sensabaugh’s three-year deal is worth up to $19 million.
The Rams wound up losing Janoris Jenkins early on in free agency, so this appears to be a depth signing for Los Angeles.

Sensabaugh will compete for playing time with Trumaine Johnson and E.J. Gaines.

Sensabaugh, 27, is a former fourth-round pick of the Titans back in 2012. He has played out his rookie contract with the team and was testing the open market as an unrestricted free agent for the first time.

In 2015, Sensabaugh appeared in all 16 games for the Rams
and recorded 60 tackles, two interceptions with one being returned for a touchdown and eight pass defenses. Pro Football Focushas him rated as the No. 88 cornerback out of 111 qualifying players.

http://nfltraderumors.co/rams-signing-cb-coty-sensabaugh/

Man, what is wrong with you guys? Weren't you watching? Dude was on our roster all of last year! We didn't sign from outside our team, this is a resigning.(expand quote)

RamBill

Legend
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner
Just spitballin' here but Sensabaugh addition could theoretically open door for Rams to look at L. Joyner at FS if they want to go that way.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner
Just spitballin' here but Sensabaugh addition could theoretically open door for Rams to look at L. Joyner at FS if they want to go that way.

On one hand, fine. If you have confidence in Joyner at free safety, that works. On the other hand, that means Coty is the slot guy who is worse than Casey Hayward yet you are paying more. Is worse than Brandon Boykin, yet was chosen over him. I mean, I get that there is a weak Gregg Williams connection, but what the hell is this decision to give him 3yr 15-19M?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coty_Sensabaugh

Coty Sensabaugh (born November 15, 1988) is an American football cornerbackfor the Los Angeles Rams of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Clemson University and before attended Dobyns-Bennett High School. He was selected by the Tennessee Titans with the 115th overall pick in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

His cousin, Gerald Sensabaugh, is a retired NFL safety, who played for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Dallas Cowboys.

Position: Cornerback
Personal information
Date of birth:
November 15, 1988 (age 27)
Place of birth: Kingsport, Tennessee
Height: 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)
Weight: 187 lb (85 kg)
College: Clemson
NFL draft: 2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 115

Career NFL statistics as of 2015
Total tackles:
Sacks: 1.0
Forced fumbles: 0
Pass deflections: 23
Interceptions: 2
Defensive touchdowns: 1
Player stats at NFL.com

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
$5m per year seems to be the market rate for second/third tier cornerbacks? I hope he's what guys have described him as so far; athletic freak who was raw coming into the league just starting to get it and have the game slow down for him mentally who can take it to the next level with the outstanding coaching our defensive staff will give him, with better teammates around him and in a system that will suit him. On the other hand - the Titans suck for a reason; their players suck. This is one of those guys....lets hope they made a mistake.

Re: the money thing. I think we fans can get a bit too hung up this. It's ESK's cash after all...I trust Demoff to work the cap and get the guys Snisher say they want without us having to lose too many of our stars in a few years (Donald, Gueley, Austin, Brockers, Ogletree, Johnson next year) when it comes to second contract time.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I don't think it means that at all. He can play outside - man is his supposed strength (fluid hips and 4.32 40 at the combine) - zone not so much.

Do not mean to be pissy but how was their was(Titians defensed ranked last year?Can he cover? Is he a run supporter?) Why did They not resign him?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner
Just spitballin' or stealing from ROD? Lol.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
On one hand, fine. If you have confidence in Joyner at free safety, that works. On the other hand, that means Coty is the slot guy who is worse than Casey Hayward yet you are paying more. Is worse than Brandon Boykin, yet was chosen over him. I mean, I get that there is a weak Gregg Williams connection, but what the hell is this decision to give him 3yr 15-19M?

Pretty sure Hayward wanted to go somewhere where he could play outside. And Boykin got traded for a 6th rd pick and hardly played after that, not sure how hes better

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Do not mean to be pissy but how was their was(Titians defensed ranked last year?Can he cover? Is he a run supporter?) Why did They not resign him?
He wanted to test the market, and new coaching staff, and all. Makes sense.