Rams Sign Another FA Starter On Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rams-late-signing-of-ryan-davis-could-be-answer-at-olb-081218

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — The Los Angeles Rams made a series of high-profile defensive acquisitions during the offseason. Defensive end Ryan Davis was not one of them.

Davis signed a one-year contract two days before training camp started, an addition that could prove to be just as significant as signing defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and trading for cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters.

“I was on my way to Detroit, actually, for a workout, and Arizona called,” Davis said. “And then as soon as LA called, I told my agent: ‘Come on, we gotta go. We got to make this happen.'”

Davis’ intuition was right on, and he has found himself working extensively with the starting defense as an outside linebacker during the first three weeks of training camp. Coach Sean McVay has frequently identified Davis as one of the early standouts, though the praise apparently has not filtered down to the seven-season veteran who last played for Buffalo.

“I’m not looking for any kind of cheers or pat on the back from the coaches, but if they are fans of me, then obviously that’s a good thing,” Davis said. “My thing is going out there and not letting the guys down next to me. Just giving it my best and playing hard.”

The quick transition Davis has made at outside linebacker is all the more important because the Rams must replace both starters there after trading Robert Quinn to Miami in March and not re-signing free agent Connor Barwin.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rams-late-signing-of-ryan-davis-could-be-answer-at-olb-081218

IRVINE, Calif. (AP) — The Los Angeles Rams made a series of high-profile defensive acquisitions during the offseason. Defensive end Ryan Davis was not one of them.

Davis signed a one-year contract two days before training camp started, an addition that could prove to be just as significant as signing defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and trading for cornerbacks Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters.

“I was on my way to Detroit, actually, for a workout, and Arizona called,” Davis said. “And then as soon as LA called, I told my agent: ‘Come on, we gotta go. We got to make this happen.'”

Davis’ intuition was right on, and he has found himself working extensively with the starting defense as an outside linebacker during the first three weeks of training camp. Coach Sean McVay has frequently identified Davis as one of the early standouts, though the praise apparently has not filtered down to the seven-season veteran who last played for Buffalo.

“I’m not looking for any kind of cheers or pat on the back from the coaches, but if they are fans of me, then obviously that’s a good thing,” Davis said. “My thing is going out there and not letting the guys down next to me. Just giving it my best and playing hard.”

The quick transition Davis has made at outside linebacker is all the more important because the Rams must replace both starters there after trading Robert Quinn to Miami in March and not re-signing free agent Connor Barwin.

Thanks for posting this, was wondering who this guy was that DR_RAM was reporting on & forgot we signed him. We definitely needed veteran OLB help to show the new rooks how it's done as a pro. He could have a big impact for us.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I dont see him starting or making a impact. Hes a 29 year old journeyman player with 48 career tackles and 12 sacks. Of course I would love to be wrong since hes on the Rams now. You never know I guess :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This was an under-the-radar signing. Davis has actually had some success in the past as a situational pass rusher. Sounds like he's doing a really good job setting the edge too. Might end up being an underrated move for us. He has the ability to post 5 sacks as a key rotational piece.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He looked like a sloth out in space against the Ravens. Hope his pass rushing shows up, he looked like a liability to me.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Seems like a depth guy with some pass rush ability. Considering our front three I expect our outside LB's to get inflated sack numbers. So he could be of value in a rotation.