Rd 1, pick 19, Rams Select EDGE/DL Jared Verse

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This might be equal to all the words I’ve ever heard Bill speak. I wasn’t even sure it was him, he wasn’t using his usual sleepy monotone. I guess he really does have a personality.
Yeah Verse is a Belichick/Parcells type edge. They love them the physical types who can stuff that run plus rush a bit and maybe even move inside on pass downs for the right matchup. I think he's a nice duo with Young.

What we need now is Young to make a big year two jump. If that happens boy howdy.

You got Nole and Gator blood in your bank?????? Damn son. That's pert near a mental condition.
"Don't you be talkin bout my Gatormother!"
~ @Selassie I

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way I'm gonna get any sleep tonight. We just drafted an Edge woooo! :beer2::part:

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I don't believe that is correct. The 7.31 is correct but that's a good number for an Edge.

Checked the Combine's 3-cone results by position; and no Edge had a sub-7.0 time.

Below is a cut-and-paste from what I found:

Notable 3-cone times (Edge)
  • Marshawn Kneeland (Western Michigan): 7.02
  • Nelson Ceaser (Houston): 7.30
  • Jared Verse (Florida State): 7.31
  • Brandon Dorlus (Oregon): 7.43
  • Eric Watts (UConn): 7.59
It's possible there are no super elite edge defenders in this class. Here is a chart from PFF showing numbers for some edge defenders from this class versus top NFL edge defenders. Note that several are below 7.0.

ED 2024 draftees vs NFL best.gif

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's possible there are no super elite edge defenders in this class. Here is a chart from PFF showing numbers for some edge defenders from this class versus top NFL edge defenders. Note that several are below 7.0.
I think there was one edge in this class who was in that upper range group and he had medical questions. And also went to the Colts of course.

Verse is a tier down from those top guys. But I don't think he's capped out or anything. McVay mentioned he has an array of moves or whatever but I don't really see that on his vids. So maybe I missed them. To me though I'd say he has a fair chance to get better in his technique and hand usage which will benefit his power. Power plays in this league for sure but you can't just bullrush dudes. They're consistently better across the board, he'll get stoned hard game to game.

Latu would have been a day one threat. Verse probably is a guy who builds as he goes. And I'll take that.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Two Verse clips, show him chop step to get LT off balance.

also, Verse has the best base I think, his build is thick -- big thighs and legs
and he's very twitchy ... to me, more so than Latu. More sudden in his movements.

Given the choice between Verse and Latu I prefer Verse... didn't think he'd be around

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1783731062658449495

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1783730366475374848

His power is amazing. In the chart I posted above his bench press is 2nd highest.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting that he singled out Ricky Pearsall as the biggest problem they faced. Kinda makes me a little nervous about the 9ers pick.
Yeah he's excellent. Didn't think he'd go round 1 but he's a fine all around receiver. I would have rather seen a few different guys go to them, like Corley who I was certain they'd take. Oh well.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I think there was one edge in this class who was in that upper range group and he had medical questions. And also went to the Colts of course.

Verse is a tier down from those top guys. But I don't think he's capped out or anything. McVay mentioned he has an array of moves or whatever but I don't really see that on his vids. So maybe I missed them. To me though I'd say he has a fair chance to get better in his technique and hand usage which will benefit his power. Power plays in this league for sure but you can't just bullrush dudes. They're consistently better across the board, he'll get stoned hard game to game.

Latu would have been a day one threat. Verse probably is a guy who builds as he goes. And I'll take that.
Yep, totally agree. Latu's hand usage is next level. If Verse works on his technique, I think he can get there. He may have slightly less bend than Latu but I think he may be a better overall athlete.

I hope he starts working with Donald and Turner's hand-fighting instructor.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

snippet:

Mike Sando’s assessment

Three of the six NFL execs I polled at the combine had Verse going in the top 10. Verse winds up going to the Rams at 19 as the fourth defensive player in this class.

How he fits

Verse will start immediately for the Rams, in the vacant spot opposite second-year player Byron Young. The Rams have needed another outside linebacker for more than a season, and Verse’s power in tandem with Young’s speed could be a force for a pass rush that is entering a new era minus Donald.

Rookie impact

Verse should be expected to start right away. The Rams had an issue with complementary pressure in 2023, without another strong presence on the edge.

Depth-chart impact

Verse will get the benefit of also playing alongside interior defensive lineman Kobie Turner, who led all rookies in sacks last season (9.5). The attention Turner can command on the inside makes opportunities better for Verse and Young, and vice versa.

They also could have picked ….

The Rams really liked Dallas Turner, who surprisingly fell into the teens as a record-setting run on offensive players unfolded to start the round. They called other teams about trading up or back, including getting a price assessment on what it would take to get into the top 10 (for an offensive player). They could have traded back and were prepared to do so just in case the board didn’t fall to them, but getting one of their top-ranked overall prospects in Verse meant staying put.

Fast evaluation

Because of the unique way the board fell in the first round, the Rams were able to combine a massive need with their favorite player still available on the board in Verse. That’s rare luck. Verse will be an immediate impact player under second-year coach Joe Coniglio.