Rams salary cap update after initial wave of moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe not but when they're sort of treading water it makes me wonder what they might be up to. So a pending move holding things up makes a lot of sense.

Doesn't have to be Ertz either. Could be any number of guys who would upgrade us. Maybe they're trying to trade for a center.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Appears OTC has updated the Rams’ cap to reflect the Jackson deal, and has them with $7.6M of cap space. For some reason, Spotrac has still not updated; and does not even reflect the Donald restructure.

The Rams’ rookie pool should not impact it’s cap space but for about $1M because for every rookie contract, one of the lower top-51 contracts would be removed for cap calculation purposes.

That would mean the Rams have $6.6M to spend. Cameron DaSilva thinks the Rams will hold off on any signings but I don’t know about that. The Rams are aggressive, and don’t usually carry much cap space into the season.

Still very early, things may remain status quo until the Draft but I am guessing the Rams will make a substantive addition or two before Camp opens.

Thinking a few things.
Possibly a move for Zach Ertz. Aside from the cap hit, not sure about the draft comp. A fifth would make sense but the Rams don’t have a fifth; their 4th seems too high but their 6th seems too low.

Also wondering about Jadeveon Clowney. Not a big fan but he’s a big talent; and if he wants a big contract, he should focus on having a monster 2021 on a high-profile team that could set him up for the 2022 Free Agency. The Rams would seem like a perfect fit but I don’t know that he would take less money, with some incentives.

The final possibility I am thinking about is whether the Rams still plan to move Havenstein. I like him at RT, and think losing him opens up a big hole. Such an opening leads me to free agent Mitchell Schwartz. An excellent RT coming off a back injury.

I truly believe that one of these days, one of my guesses ... JUST ONE DAMN IT!!! ... will actually occur.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
It would surprise me. Isn’t he like 33 with lots of injuries? It doesn’t sound like a Rams type of move.
He's a bit younger (30) and he did have injury issues recently, but the biggest problem is his complete lack of burst recently. He's turned into more a of an old Jason Whitten type, but recently his hands haven't been great either.

Someone is going to pay him more than he's worth. Either by trading for his contract or signing him post Eagles cut.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have shown they are good at manipulating their cap. It's why I'm never worried about it. Normally they would want between $3M-$5M free cap to start the season. This would be their contingency money during the season. So that cap number is really smaller than it is on face value. It's why I don't expect them to sign a FA at this point. IMO the only way they will sign a FA is if they move Havenstein which considering his issues with speed rushers wouldn't be a huge loss. With Whitworth signed for at least this year, they could move Noteboom to RT until Andrew retires.

How they draft will tell you a lot about their plans for the roster. IMO the only potential holes are at edge opposite Floyd currently looking like it's Lewis and SCB. But they have options at both positions. The only problem with Lewis is his injury history otherwise they would have an excellent front 4.

Most people say there is an obvious need at ILB and I completely disagree. With Reeder and Kiser they are set at MIKE. Contrary to what most on this board feel, Kenny Young isn't the liability most assume. Now with the return of Howard the position is stronger. Remember ILB is a part-time position. One is pulled when they move to a nickel package.

Also, there is no guarantee SJD is going to make this roster. With Robinson, Gaines, and Hoecht, Sebas is expendable or trade bait. That would clear around $2M. I could see him being a draft-day trade.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's enough money to sign Austin Reiter or KJ Wright. Let's do it!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Also, there is no guarantee SJD is going to make this roster. With Robinson, Gaines, and Hoecht, Sebas is expendable or trade bait. That would clear around $2M. I could see him being a draft-day trade.

I am with others; SJD is this year’s Troy Hill. Not dirt cheap but a good player that fills important role.

It's enough money to sign Austin Reiter or KJ Wright. Let's do it!

I think the Rams are laying low for a value add like this, somewhere along the way. It might be after the draft though.