Rams salary cap update after initial wave of moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Cameron DaSilva
Thu, March 18, 2021, 12:46 PM

df99d42caa7eb9c590e3117de14508f8

It’s been a fairly quiet first week of free agency for the Los Angeles Rams. They’ve suffered more losses than additions and have primarily been working to get their salary cap situation under control.
They entered the week more than $33 million over the salary cap, needing to get under the $182.5 million limit by Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET. They did just that, announcing they were under the cap on Tuesday afternoon.
Now that Matthew Stafford’s contract is officially on the books, Michael Brockers is gone and Leonard Floyd’s cap hits have been established, where do the Rams stand in terms of spending money?
Current cap space
fa98cb182a73bd840cc7b975517723f1

(Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
According to Over The Cap, the Rams are still $18.7 million over the limit - which is obviously not up to date. That's because OTC’s calculations only include two of the five restructures that the Rams have reportedly done: Jalen Ramsey and Robert Woods. It doesn’t include Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp or Andrew Whitworth, who all reportedly restructured their deals before the deadline. So if you factor in those three transactions, the Rams would clear another $26.3 million. That would give them $7.65 million in cap space, according to OTC’s salary cap calculator. With $7.65 million to spend, it would put them 19th in the NFL in terms of estimated cap space, up from where they currently sit (31st). This calculation includes Brockers’ contract coming off the books (2.67 million in dead money), Jared Goff’s dead cap hit of $24.7 million, Darious Williams’ $4.77 million first-round tender and Floyd’s $3.33 million dead cap charge from the void year on his previous contract.
How much space is needed for the rookie class?
4b4f65ca408506976f8ef364361c501e

Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports
The Rams must leave some room for their rookie class, of course. Over The Cap estimates that the Rams’ effective cap space needed to sign their draft class is only $1.02 million. That’s calculated by multiplying their total number of picks (6) by $660,000, and subtracting that sum from the total rookie pool of $4,981,056. The reason is that each draft pick will replace a player already counting against the cap as part of the top-51 rule. So the total space needed is much less than the sum of the rookies’ 2021 cap hits. So if you subtract $1.02 million from their estimated cap space of $7.65 million, you get $6.63 million in spending money as of now. It’s not much, but it puts them in better shape than they were in to begin the week.
How else can they create more cap space?
6a2dbb4a28d9776726d55fa85515bc8a

Now, the question becomes, what’s next? How can the Rams create even more cap space to sign free agents? They can start by either extending Stafford’s contract or simply restructuring it. Restructuring would clear about $12.3 million this year, which would put the Rams close to $19 million in effective cap space. They could also cut Kenny Young to save another $2.18 million, putting them over $20 million in cap space. It’s unlikely that A’Shawn Robinson will be released after Brockers was traded, but cutting him after June 1 would save $3.75 million. If Austin Blythe returns, Brian Allen could be cut to save $920,000 – though releasing him seems unlikely. Signing Williams to an extension to lower his cap hit from the first-round tender ($4.77 million) is another possibility. There aren’t many ways left for the Rams to create cap space, but as they stand right now, they have enough money to sign a few more free agents, as well as their draft class. Just don’t expect a big splash in free agency.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In other words he doesn't know how much we're under just knows the Rams said they were and he won't know until one of two websites updates the contracts with the restructure deals. His numbers for the draft class though are off.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Referencing ILB'er Kenny Young is an interesting decision yet to be made. Young entered the TC as the reserve then jumped into the vacant weak side ILB post when Howard was injured. I am expecting Howard to be an important upgrade over Young this upcoming season & for the future 2022.

DC Morris also has two-second yr. ILB'ers signed under contract too in Christian Rozeboom & Derrick Moncrief waiting in the wings waiting for their chance. Rams also have both Kiser & Reeder returning to play MLB'er. Many members here believe that Snead will draft an ILb'er late on Saturday (3rd day of the draft) too.

Psycho_X

Legend
Referencing ILB'er Kenny Young is an interesting decision yet to be made. Young entered the TC as the reserve then jumped into the vacant weak side ILB post when Howard was injured. I am expecting Howard to be an important upgrade over Young this upcoming season & for the future 2022/2023.

DC Morris also has two-second yr. ILB'ers signed under contract too in Christain Rozeboom & Derrick Moncrief waiting in the wings waiting for their chance. Rams also have both Kiser & Reeder returning to play MLB'er. Many members here believe that Snead will draft an ILb'er late on Saturday (3rd day of the draft) too.

I'm guessing they are going to play the rest of the offseason in a "wait and see" approach. If they are able to sign some vet players they like and it requires some more cap space they'll cut Young or someone similar to make room. But until then they might as well keep them on roster in case they don't need that space. ILB will be a huge competition in training camp that'll be fun to watch. Hopefully we don't have injuries like we did last training camp.

Either way, they've got room to make a few moves in the second and third waves of free agency. Which is what everyone should have expected knowing the issues going in. And this offseason there is a lot of talent that will be floating in those tiers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Referencing ILB'er Kenny Young is an interesting decision yet to be made. Young entered the TC as the reserve then jumped into the vacant weak side ILB post when Howard was injured. I am expecting Howard to be an important upgrade over Young this upcoming season & for the future 2022.

DC Morris also has two-second yr. ILB'ers signed under contract too in Christian Rozeboom & Derrick Moncrief waiting in the wings waiting for their chance. Rams also have both Kiser & Reeder returning to play MLB'er. Many members here believe that Snead will draft an ILb'er late on Saturday (3rd day of the draft) too.
I would guess they let Young leave. His play was so up and down that tbh you can replace that cheaper than whatever low end deal he signs. Rams should also be a really hot destination for any ILBs who don't get drafted.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Anyone panicking right now, should realize that now is the time that people get overpaid.

We have limited resources, so we will have to shop for bargains.

TexasRam

Legend
Basically, there are numerous ways to still get way under the cap in 2021.

We are talking 20 million or more under.

So can we not go sign a free
Agent Olineman? What’s the major malfunction here?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The amount left goes toward a center, another couple vet contracts on defense?

Speed WR filled by draft?

Thats what it feels like.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Just as was previously reported after the Brockers trade..once we restructure Stafford we'll have about $20M to play with. That is plenty of money to sign another 2 impact players or 1 big time FA and a couple of bargain vets. This number means Galloday is definitely not out of the picture. Nor is another impact edge rusher or ILB. But it appears the Rams were higher on their OL than most of then majority of this board and didn't want to spend big there. Good chance Blythe is resigned now.

Tano

Legend
Just as was previously reported after the Brockers trade..once we restructure Stafford we'll have about $20M to play with. That is plenty of money to sign another 2 impact players or 1 big time FA and a couple of bargain vets. This number means Galloday is definitely not out of the picture. Nor is another impact edge rusher or ILB. But it appears the Rams were higher on their OL than most of then majority of this board and didn't want to spend big there. Good chance Blythe is resigned now.
Blah

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just because the Rams can create more cap space, does not me they will maximize the amount of space.

Restructuring has a future impact, resulting in less cap space in subsequent years; or greater Dead-$ if restructured players are eventually released.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams free up 20 mill and allocate that to a 3rd WR making over 16 mill, I dont know how they could justify that

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jourdan said they could clear another $9 million by restructuring Stafford but don’t necessarily want to do that right now.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For those that like to follow the cap ...

I just checked Spotrac (always preferred it to Over-the-Cap because I think it's an easier read).

Site has updated the Rams' cap #'s since last night. As of late yesterday, it only reflected the cap relief from the Ramsey and Woods' restructurings. This morning, it also reflects the Kupp and Whitworth restructurings but stll not the revised numbers on Donald.

Last night, the Rams were shown as $14M over the cap. Now it's $5M over, with the Kupp and Whitworth #'s reflected.

Of course all the restructurings were done before the New League Year started on Wednesday afternoon. It's just the financial information and details sometimes take a while to come-out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Jourdan has been great but I'm not sure she would be privy to every idea or direction the Rams are going in. So it is possible they are chasing Ertz for example.

Hope not as he gets hurt a lot. But if they add him and he is healthy this season he would give us a rather large boost.

Pointed out before that our TEs were thrown to a ton more by Wolford and when that happened Everett got exposed. Goff knew to read past him if there was someone on top of him but the new QB will have to learn that the hard way.

So in all of that I could see a desire to improve in passing over the middle. Would not surprise me if the Rams made an offer and are waiting to see if they need to fit him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This wouldn't surprise me.

TE needs bodies too, a pass catcher to go with Higbee.

Will be interesting to see how things pan out. Hopkins is a TE who is as Ram Fans don’t know about much. Preseason is a big part of development in The NFL.

Mundt resigned,but he has been a big part of special teams.Hopkins & Ertz don’t seem to be those types of players. When it comes to the 53 those are always things Coaching Staffs always look at.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would guess they let Young leave. His play was so up and down that tbh you can replace that cheaper than whatever low end deal he signs. Rams should also be a really hot destination for any ILBs who don't get drafted.
As usual, we have the same thoughts on this subject here on the weak-side ILB'er Kenny Young. The Rams have 6 ILB'ers signed on the roster @ this time. KY carries the highest cap hit of the 6.

AS we see below there is no rush to release KY unless it's to spend his $2.2 million on another player & to remain under the cap.
PRE-6/1 RELEASE 2021 Dead Cap: $02021 Cap Savings: $2,183,000PRE-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $02021 Cap Savings: $2,183,000POST-6/1 RELEASE2021 Dead Cap: $02022 Dead Cap: $02021 Cap Savings: $2,183,000POST-6/1 TRADE2021 Dead Cap: $02022 Dead Cap: $02021 Cap Savings: $2,183,000
Kenny Young Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

The Ram Org. might be waiting to see the rehabbing progress on two players who have a past & a future playing in the post that KY started in 2020. Travin Howard & Taylor Rapp had their 2020 season shutdown by knee injuries. Both of these defenders are pure tackling machines & perfect to play in this post. Rams are sure to give CFL former star ILB Derrick Moncrief a real good inspection early too. If Howard & Rapp are healthy & the Rams like Moncrief they could cut KY & save just under $1.5 million with Monrief replacing KY in the top 51 salaried Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Jourdan has been great but I'm not sure she would be privy to every idea or direction the Rams are going in. So it is possible they are chasing Ertz for example.

Hope not as he gets hurt a lot. But if they add him and he is healthy this season he would give us a rather large boost.

Pointed out before that our TEs were thrown to a ton more by Wolford and when that happened Everett got exposed. Goff knew to read past him if there was someone on top of him but the new QB will have to learn that the hard way.

So in all of that I could see a desire to improve in passing over the middle. Would not surprise me if the Rams made an offer and are waiting to see if they need to fit him.

She not only speaks to people in Rams HQ, she also talks to agents and other beat writers.
I believe her and trust her. I think the Rams do too.
Think about it. She apparently knows that there is one more move coming that would make most fans happy. How does she know that? Apparently someone told her. She may even know who it is. But I don’t think she betrays sources.