Rams Run D in 2019?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’m happy with the Rams’ draft today. All 4 players (Rapp, Henderson, Long, and Evans) could be great finds. However... someone please explain to me why we shouldn’t be concerned about the DL and our run defense?

Rams did a great job of finding replacements for significant losses EXCEPT for Suh.

Joyner... Weddle
Barron...Matthews
Saffold...Noteboom
Suh... nobody.

I was hoping we might pick up Dexter Lawrence or Khalen Saunders... or at least a D Lineman.

So are we rolling with JFM as a starter? And Brock as a beefed up run stuffer?

I’m optimistic about every position group on the Rams except for the DL. Someone please explain why the DL is gonna be ok this year? And what’s to prevent a run-heavy team from playing smash-mouth style?

Still optimistic Rams can be a Super Bowl caliber team, but I simply do not understand the Rams’ strategy for the DL.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m happy with the Rams’ draft today. All 4 players (Rapp, Henderson, Long, and Evans) could be great finds. However... someone please explain to me why we shouldn’t be concerned about the DL and our run defense?

Rams did a great job of finding replacements for significant losses EXCEPT for Suh.

Joyner... Weddle
Barron...Matthews
Saffold...Noteboom
Suh... nobody.

I was hoping we might pick up Dexter Lawrence or Khalen Saunders... or at least a D Lineman.

So are we rolling with JFM as a starter? And Brock as a beefed up run stuffer?

I’m optimistic about every position group on the Rams except for the DL. Someone please explain why the DL is gonna be ok this year? And what’s to prevent a run-heavy team from playing smash-mouth style?

Still optimistic Rams can be a Super Bowl caliber team, but I simply do not understand the Rams’ strategy for the DL.

We have 4 picks left in the draft and all the remaining UDFA's to choose from, ... and following all this, there is the final phase of free agency for veteran CAP cuts. We're still likely to come up with a space eating NT to rotate with Brockers & Joseph.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Rams will pick Daylon Mack in 4th round to be a rotational NT. Thats what my Nostradamus radar says.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams had more needs than picks. The same will be the case tomorrow. There will be multiple positions they would love to draft but won't have picks. Many of us listed 11-12 positions of need for 2019 and to develop for 2020. It just isn't possible to get them all.

That being said, I expect some sort of NT - at least as a backup - for tomorrow. Remember that decent run stoppers who rotate out on passing downs often fall quite a ways.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Rams O will put up points forcing their opponents to abandon the run. The best I can come up with at this time.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Kiser and Littleton represent an upgrade vs. the run over Littleton and Barron... Suh was inconsistent last season.... Moving Brockers back inside ...you have Tanzel Smart and Sebastian Joseph-Day along with Jonathan Franklin-Myers who contributed last year as a rookie...

I think we should be really improved vs. the run this season

dang

Legend
I believe the Rams finish by picking BPAs. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to trade a player also (e.g. Troy Hill or Marqui Christian) for a 6th round pick. They also have 3 late round 5 picks left which they could trade up a bit and get a promising DT:

- Willis/Miami
- Mack/Texas A&M
- Slayton/Syracuse

...or hey Suh/Wilkerson/Jernigan/Shelton - how about another chance for a Super Bowl run under a cap friendly 1 year contract + bonus incentives?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm still holding out major hope for signing Shelton after the comp period and don't forget guys a guy like Hankins last year who has been pretty good through the his career waited and waited and got a bargain basement contract and even resigned for a very modest sum. Adding Shelton is a must restructure someone do what you have to but please that changes everything cause Shelton eats peopl Donald would be well Donald but also JFM Brockers it gives us options its to me a key signing.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I believe the Rams finish by picking BPAs. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to trade a player also (e.g. Troy Hill or Marqui Christian) for a 6th round pick. They also have 3 late round 5 picks left which they could trade up a bit and get a promising DT:

- Willis/Miami
- Mack/Texas A&M
- Slayton/Syracuse

...or hey Suh/Wilkerson/Jernigan/Shelton - how about another chance for a Super Bowl run under a cap friendly 1 year contract + bonus incentives?

Jernigan resigned with philly for a year but you read my mind.....and to be honest I go Shelton by far then Wilkerson. and Suh I believe wants to much and may feel slightly used or disrespected which is his own doing can't turn it in and off when you feel like it.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Appreciate the responses. Sounds like others are a bit concerned also...

Entering last year, I thought the one big glaring weakness for the Rams was at OLB. An untested Ebukam...and Longacre. Really?

Luckily, Ebukam developed into a serviceable starter. AND...of course... Snead saved the day with the mid -season trade for Dante Fowler.

This year, the one big glaring concern for me is at NT. Yeah...maybe we can find a stopgap with a 5th rounder...or a gem UDFA... or a veteran post-June-1st cut. Or maybe, just maybe, Snead could work his trade magic and pull another rabbit out of his hat? ( A 340 lb.NT rabbit, that is.)

I agree with Akrasian that the Rams had more needs than picks. Great that we picked up a CB and an S for 2020, a versatile backup OL, and insurance at RB. But to my mind, NT was the most glaring need of all, and I’m just curious as to what the Rams’ strategy is about it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

- Willis/Miami
- Mack/Texas A&M
- Slayton/Syracuse

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Suh and Snead had come to an understanding where Suh would explore his previously discussed outside interests during the bulk of the regular season, but would continue to work out and train on his own until called upon prior to the later part of the regular season. Should the Rams find themselves in the hunt again for another playoff run, he returns after game 12 or so to help take us to the Big Show. The CAP savings would be significant considering he would only be involved in a few games, and bonuses guaranteed with every post season game played. Just an outside thought.

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

- Willis/Miami
- Mack/Texas A&M
- Slayton/Syracuse

add DT Wren Az St, tho we would need to move up to get him i think..

Like your board tho

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm still holding out major hope for signing Shelton after the comp period and don't forget guys a guy like Hankins last year who has been pretty good through the his career waited and waited and got a bargain basement contract and even resigned for a very modest sum. Adding Shelton is a must restructure someone do what you have to but please that changes everything cause Shelton eats peopl Donald would be well Donald but also JFM Brockers it gives us options its to me a key signing.
I think Shelton was a healthy scratch for several Pats games last year.

BTW, Wilkerson has had 2 recent ankle surgeries. I don’t think Jernigan is available anymore. And hard to imagine Suh coming back.

Slim pickings on the vet FA front...

Maybe tomorrow Rams pick up the DT from Miami, or Buggs from Alabama... Wren from ASU sounds like a major project, not a McSnead type pick...

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Rams will pick Daylon Mack in 4th round to be a rotational NT. Thats what my Nostradamus radar says.

I think they traded it when they moved up. I believe they now have (3) 5th round picks

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I thought I heard/read Suh has a deal w/ an unnamed team, but is waiting to sign after the comp pick period is done. which is around mid May..... jmo

fearsomefour

Legend
This is job one this off season.
There are questions about the Rams being able to replicate their level on O.
The Rams run D and secondary breakdowns kept many games close last year that should not have been.
The run D was largely pathetic during the season. Don't know what the plan is for the DL this year but the run D has to improve.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Shelton was a healthy scratch for several Pats games last year.

BTW, Wilkerson has had 2 recent ankle surgeries. I don’t think Jernigan is available anymore. And hard to imagine Suh coming back.

Slim pickings on the vet FA front...

Maybe tomorrow Rams pick up the DT from Miami, or Buggs from Alabama... Wren from ASU sounds like a major project, not a McSnead type pick...

I'd take Wilkerson in a heartbeat if healthy, his injury situation should be healed by camp and he could come pretty cheap on a one year 'show me' contract. Like Brockers, he can rotate inside & outside.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
This is job one this off season.
There are questions about the Rams being able to replicate their level on O.
The Rams run D and secondary breakdowns kept many games close last year that should not have been.
The run D was largely pathetic during the season. Don't know what the plan is for the DL this year but the run D has to improve.
There was a LOT of confusion in the secondary...L Joyner is gone, and Weddle is in, and Talib is back, so that won't happen. BUt ya, the run defense may have another 'interesting' year....I suspect that McSnead knows...and have a plan.