Rams Roster Review: RB Benny Cunningham/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
Cunningham is the reason the Rams weren't really all that excited about drafting Tre Mason. They felt obligated to because he was the bpa by a mile, but ultimately Cunningham could've definitely handled the backup RB duties if they didn't draft a RB.

JRobinson

MiLB
Cunningham is the reason the Rams weren't really all that excited about drafting Tre Mason. They felt obligated to because he was the bpa by a mile, but ultimately Cunningham could've definitely handled the backup RB duties if they didn't draft a RB.

Hang on a second. I'm not questioning your assessment that Benny can handle the RB2 role, because I simply agree. But what leads you to believe that the Rams weren't/aren't excited about Mason because of Cunningham?

I personally believe they are ecstatic to have Mason in their backfield. I definitely don't think that having Benny played any role in the drafting of Mason. Nor do I think that they felt any obligation whatsoever to draft Mason. We have no clue as to how far ahead Mason was as the BPA on the Rams board at that time. I believe they could have had deep discussions about multiple players; that, if, they were there for the taking, the Rams were taking X player.

We went from a "middle of the road" RB trio, to a formidable and stout one.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I Know there has been 6 Teams in history to have Duo's get 1000 yards rushing in one Season, I was just thinking, What IF, the Rams become the 1st to have # players do it!? Wish-full thinking? Nuts? maybe, maybe not! If Robinson and Safford do the 'Road Grading I think they can!! :D

jjab360

Legend
Hang on a second. I'm not questioning your assessment that Benny can handle the RB2 role, because I simply agree. But what leads you to believe that the Rams weren't/aren't excited about Mason because of Cunningham?

I personally believe they are ecstatic to have Mason in their backfield. I definitely don't think that having Benny played any role in the drafting of Mason. Nor do I think that they felt any obligation whatsoever to draft Mason. We have no clue as to how far ahead Mason was as the BPA on the Rams board at that time. I believe they could have had deep discussions about multiple players; that, if, they were there for the taking, the Rams were taking X player.

We went from a "middle of the road" RB trio, to a formidable and stout one.
I may be wrong but I remember Mike Silver (the guy who was in the Rams war room) saying something about how the Rams were excited about Tre Mason and how he was the bpa, but not nearly as excited as they were about Lamarcus Joyner or the first round picks. It was my own inference that the reason behind that is because they were already pretty excited about the two RBs we already have, but I could be off about that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be wrong but I remember Mike Silver (the guy who was in the Rams war room) saying something about how the Rams were excited about Tre Mason and how he was the bpa, but not nearly as excited as they were about Lamarcus Joyner or the first round picks. It was my own inference that the reason behind that is because they were already pretty excited about the two RBs we already have, but I could be off about that.

I'd be very surprised if they were more excited about a third round pick than their two firsts and a second. If they liked him THAT much, they would have drafted him earlier, instead of taking the other players. However, they WERE excited that Mason fell to them. Besides what they've said - I didn't expect them to take a RB that early, thinking it much more likely that they would have filled greater holes. But Mason falling seemed to force the decision for them. I had expected them to take a guard, a DB, or a linebacker in that spot.