Rams Rookie RB Darrell Henderson Can Be A Star With or Without the Starting Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Rams Rookie RB Darrell Henderson Can Be A Star With or Without the Starting Job
7 hours ago Jake Ellenbogen
GettyImages-1145313340-1024x640.jpg

Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images

We see it all of the time in the NFL, quite honestly, it’s taking over. What is that? It’s the committee backfield. Teams are slowly but surely starting to show a preference for a stable of running backs over having one bell cow like how football used to be. The Rams made their first third-round selection in the 2019 NFL Draft a running back when they already have the best one in the league in Todd Gurley.

Todd.Gurley.stiffy-1024x683.jpg

Robert Hanashiro/USA Today Sports
That running back is none other than former Memphis star Darrell Henderson. Henderson will don the number 27 similar to the last third-round running back the Rams selected in the form of Auburn star Tre Mason. That story didn’t end the way we expected but that was more about off-the-field events than his on-field production. Like Mason, Henderson possesses that same breakaway speed and one-cut ability which is highly-coveted in today’s game. Pro Football Focus LA Rams account states below that Henderson was the fifth-highest ranked drafted RB and maintained a 70.8% breakaway rate which shows right there he is a home run hitter.

The Rams new running back has broken records at every level dating back to his days in pee wee football. However, the NFL is a different animal and of course, Henderson knows that. In college, Henderson recorded 3,545 yards and 36 total touchdowns in his three seasons. He averaged 8.2 yards per carry and may have well been considered a video game running back.

The questioning of the draft pick from fans makes sense to a degree when you consider the Rams have solid RB Malcolm Brown under contract until 2021 and 2018 6th-round pick John Kelly until 2022 on top of the fact the organization just made 24-year old star RB Todd Gurley a Ram until 2024. Sometimes, there are opportunities you cannot pass up and for the Rams and for me Darrell Henderson in the third-round was exactly that circumstance. Henderson, by all accounts, have what it takes to backup Gurley but with the recent knee concerns of Gurley, Henderson can absolutely take over as the starter if need be. Here’s the thing though and I want to stress this: Darrell Henderson does not have to be a starter to become a star. The Rams are going to have a lethal offense and were going to have one with or without Henderson on the roster. However, that’s just it, Henderson is on the roster and he brings another element to the fray.

This is eerily similar to when the Saints brought in a second-day draft pick at RB to go along with their former first-round RB. In this case, we are talking about Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram. Ingram is now the starting back in Baltimore and Kamara has taken over as the lead back in New Orleans. Now, that is not guaranteed or really likely to happen for Todd Gurley and Darrell Henderson. We’ve seen a dual backfield work many times in this league more than just Kamara and Ingram. It wasn’t that long ago the Carolina Panthers had Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams, Carolina did that beforehand to help lead them to the Super Bowl with Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster. Having that change-of-pace in your arsenal genuinely helps.

i-1024x576.jpeg

Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images
Henderson is going to get a chance immediately to set the tone. The Rams and mainly Head coach Sean McVay have already spoken about putting a plan in place for Gurley. They are going to limit him to a degree due to his reported arthritis and while they will plan on utilizing a running back they gave a two-year deal to in Malcolm Brown, don’t be so sure Henderson will get left out of the fray. I would say this, regardless of the fact Henderson is likely not going to be the starter unless Gurley goes down with an injury, Henderson would still easily be my pick out of all the running backs from this draft to have the best year and a serious candidate to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. Why would you say that? His overall game and before you make the argument that Henderson didn’t have much success in the passing game in college, let me just first stop you there. Memphis also had running back Tony Pollard who has since been drafted by the Dallas Cowboys. He had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage and nine touchdowns just last year on the same team as Henderson.

One of the main examples of how Henderson can be a star. Gurley is going to go over the 1,000-yard mark again if he stays healthy but the question is: How often will Gurley be used in the passing game now with Henderson? That’s a legitimate question, coming into the league aforementioned Alvin Kamara didn’t blow people away with his receiving game but when he hit the NFL that was the first thing that stood out as he was the change-of-pace back to Ingram. There is no reason the former Memphis star running back can’t emulate what Kamara did.

By adding Henderson to the fold and assuming he develops as a pass catcher, you would now have Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson, Malcolm Brown, Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, Josh Reynolds, Gerald Everett and Tyler Higbee as weapons for fourth-year franchise QB Jared Goff. There is not an offense this deep on the offensive side of the ball in the entire league. Sean McVay is going into his third year as a Head coach and has already been to a Super Bowl and has improved every year. The Rams didn’t get Henderson for anything more than the fact he is going to be a damn good football player. If given the opportunity, which shouldn’t be too hard to do, Henderson will become one of the most feared change-of-pace backs in the game. As Henderson has said himself, this was the best situation for him and it’s going to be a dream to play in McVay’s offense. Moves like this, where the Rams went out and drafted his kid in the third round when everyone felt it was a mistake are how teams rise to the top and stay there.

This season should be a blast to watch a number 27 again in the backfield, wearing horns with a threat to always hit the home run at any time.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Great article Jake! Thank you for writing this.

I completely agree with everything. I'm so excited, I just can't hide it!!!!

I really feel like they saw Henderson, after missing out on Kamara and thought... "This guy can be just as good"

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great article Jake! Thank you for writing this.

I completely agree with everything. I'm so excited, I just can't hide it!!!!

I really feel like they saw Henderson, after missing out on Kamara and thought... "This guy can be just as good"
Thanks man! I'm glad to be back. What you may not know is this is my first article in a long while. We have a brand new website, new host, new writers and a kickass podcast. Life is good but more so because Darrell Henderson is a Ram haha

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Careful now, your biasness is sticking out a wee bit there.

Na man this was my RB1 heading into the draft. Here's my rankings.

1 Darrell Henderson Memphis 5-9 200
2 Joshua Jacobs Alabama 5-9 209
3 Rodney Anderson Oklahoma 6-1 219
4 David Montgomery Iowa State 5-11 216
5 James Williams Washington State 5-11 195
6 Damien Harris Alabama 6-1 219
7 Devine Ozigbo Nebraska 5-10 230
8 Trayveon Williams Texas A&M 5-9 200
9 Darwin Thompson Utah State 5-8 190
10 Maleek Irons Ohio 6-0 224
11 Ryquell Armstead Temple 5-11 205
12 Miles Sanders Penn State 5-11 211
13 Alexander Mattison Boise State 5-11 214
14 Bruce Anderson North Dakota State 5-11 210
15 Bryce Love Stanford 5-9 196
16 Kerrith Whyte Jr. FAU 5-10 197
17 Devin Singletary FAU 5-9 200
18 Jordan Scarlett Florida 5-10 206
19 Karan Hidgon Michigan 5-9 190
20 Qadree Ollison Pittsburgh 6-2 230
21 Myles Gaskin Washington 5-9 191
22 Travis Homer Miami 5-11 195
23 Benny Snell Kentucky 5-10 223
24 Jalin Moore Appalachian State 5-11 205
25 Dexter Williams Notre Dame 5-11 215
26 Justice Hill Oklahoma State 5-10 190
27 Elijah Holyfield Georgia 5-10 215
28 L.J. Scott Michigan State 6-1 226
29 Tony Pollard Memphis 6-0 208
30 Taiwan Deal Wisconsin 6-1 225
31 Tony Brooks-James Oregon 5-9 175
32 Wes Hills Slippery Rock 6-2 218
33 Alex Barnes Kansas State 6-1 227
34 Darrin Hall Pittsburgh 5-11 225
35 Nico Evans Wyoming 5-9 211
36 Jacques Patrick Florida State 6-3 235
37 Mike Weber Ohio State 5-9 215
38 Matt Colburn II Wake Forest 5-10 200
39 Marquis Young UMass 5-11 211
40 Ty Johnson Maryland 5-10 208
41 Squally Canada BYU 5-10 217
42 Papi White Ohio 5-9 177
43 Damarea Crockett Missouri 5-10 225
44 Jordan Ellis Virginia 5-9 225
45 Travon McMillian Colorado 5-11 210
46 Nick Brossette LSU 6-0 218
47 Alec Ingold Wisconsin 6-2 246
48 Patrick Laird California 5-11 200
49 D'Andre Ferby Western Kentucky 6-1 225
50 Aeris Williams Mississippi State 6-0 217
51 Darnell Woolfolk Army 5-9 235
52 Chandler Cox Auburn 6-0 239

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Enjoyed the article immensely @jakebogen95 and felt once the Rams drafted DH27 (I like that) he would have an impact in the passing game right out of the gate. As you so astutely communicated Tony Pollard had more opportunities catching the football at Memphis, however, Henderson did not drop a pass when ball came his way via the air and like Todd Gurley this is part of his game that is undervalued.

The other plus is that Memphis runs the same blocking zone blocking scheme as the Los Angeles Rams, so the adjustment from that standpoint should be minimal. If healthy Gurley offers the home run threat, however, Brown & John Kelly are plodders for the most part and the element of Henderson and being able to take it to the house at anytime, will give McVay's offense a different dynamic and hopefully along with Gerald Everett and the TE, will provide this Ram team with weapons on offense that even the Czar of the Soviet Union of Massachusetts will be unable to take away.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I think the article overlooks or downplays the significance of retaining Malcolm Brown. If you don't know all of the assignments (especially pass protection) and/or you can't block, you don't play.

Henderson is new. We cannot assume he is going to pick up all of our pro style offense as if he could start at any point soon. It would be Brown.

As for the RB by committee thing...it looks good, makes highlights, but it won't get you over the hump. Every championship team either has an undisputed #1 back, or they haven't really counted on their running game as their best feature. That's why the saints let ingram walk.

The Rams want Gurley to continue to be the key to the offense. They NEED him to be the guy a DC has to game plan for, and devise his defense accordingly. A committee has too many tells. If you watch enough film, you know how much of the playbook is available when a certain RB is in. When you have a guy like Brown to SPELL your #1, then most of the playbook is still in play.

I liked the Henderson pick and I think he might be the starter ONE DAY, but not only do I think it won't happen this year, but it would probably be a bad thing if it did. Gurley has a big contract and the Rams re-signed Brown. If Henderson becomes the starting RB, then that's a crippling amount of $$ on the books.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I liked the Henderson pick and I think he might be the starter ONE DAY, but not only do I think it won't happen this year, but it would probably be a bad thing if it did. Gurley has a big contract and the Rams re-signed Brown. If Henderson becomes the starting RB, then that's a crippling amount of $$ on the books.

He's going to get a lot of the early down snaps, the play action and run plays, at first. Then it'll probably grow into some of the passing down stuff too as he shows he can cover the pass pro responsibilities. And Brown should see a good amount of snaps too. I'm guessing something along the lines of...

Gurley 45%
Henderson 35%
Brown 20%

And obviously if TG starts to feel the knee they'll slow his carries even more. But I have to think him playing at a lower weight and not being the bell cow will lead to him being fresh for the playoff run.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
have a feeling Henderson was drafted to be a spell to Gurley while Brown was brought back as an insurance policy to Gurley. If Gurley needs to miss a game or they want to rest him, Brown will fill in for him, but when hes 100% good to go I think we will primarily be seeing Gurley and Henderson, not brown

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Enjoyed the article immensely @jakebogen95 and felt once the Rams drafted DH27 (I like that) he would have an impact in the passing game right out of the gate. As you so astutely communicated Tony Pollard had more opportunities catching the football at Memphis, however, Henderson did not drop a pass when ball came his way via the air and like Todd Gurley this is part of his game that is undervalued.

The other plus is that Memphis runs the same blocking zone blocking scheme as the Los Angeles Rams, so the adjustment from that standpoint should be minimal. If healthy Gurley offers the home run threat, however, Brown & John Kelly are plodders for the most part and the element of Henderson and being able to take it to the house at anytime, will give McVay's offense a different dynamic and hopefully along with Gerald Everett and the TE, will provide this Ram team with weapons on offense that even the Czar of the Soviet Union of Massachusetts will be unable to take away.
I enjoyed this reply immensely. I know many wanted to throw up when the Rams drafted a RB but you have to see how the league is changing. I saw Tony Pollard in person at the Senior Bowl, would not have minded him but Darrell Henderson is a different breed. One aspect people fail to mention, Henderson wasn't run into the ground. The depreciation is minimal for Darrell IMO. I think he's going to be a great back for a long time. Thanks so much for reading!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Is this now a fact or still a rumour?
The arthritis that is.
Thanks.
Still unsure. Had Steve Wyche on. The Rams have yet to confirm or deny anything. They are playing this safe but he definitely will be good to go this year.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
He's going to get a lot of the early down snaps, the play action and run plays, at first. And Brown should see a good amount of snaps too. I'm guessing something along the lines of...
Gurley 45%
Henderson 35%
Brown 20%

And obviously if TG starts to feel the knee they'll slow his carries even more. But I have to think him playing at a lower weight and not being the bell cow will lead to him being fresh for the playoff run.

McVay knows Gurley's mileage. He knew the carries/touches were going to have to subside as the Rams star RB prepares for his 5th NFL.

Todd Gurley Career (4 seasons)
Total Carries 1.042
Total Receptions 187
Total Touches 1,229

Regardless if Todd has a sensitive knee or not, the touches probably needed to be lessened to prolong his career.

If the Memphis kid explodes onto the scene, Todd will be cheering like the rest of us.

giphy.gif

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Really?

It was received quite well in here. We all knew Gurley couldn't carry the whole load again for the rest of his career.

I'm sad. I was surrounded by many that didn't like it. I was a kid in a candy store when that happened.

oldnotdead

Legend
Look no further than Darren Sproles. Never the starting feature back but no one doubts his impact. If Henderson can be that type of impactful role player I would be overjoyed. Remember Sproles played behind HOF Tomlinson for years among others during his career.