Rams Re-sign Littleton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/20/rams-re-sign-linebacker-cory-littleton/

The Rams brought back one of their own Monday.

Per the league’s transaction wire, Rams restricted free agent linebacker Cory Littleton has signed his tender.

The team gave him the second-round tender, meaning Littleton will make $3.095 million this season.

The former undrafted rookie from Washington has grown into a leader for the Rams defense, and made the Pro Bowl last year as a special teamer. He moved into the starting lineup after the trade of Alec Ogletree, and has flourished.

About freaking time.

Wonder if they've discussed a long term extension

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good job. Now extend him for four years, and I'll be happy.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
One of my favorite Rams, I have been on the Littleton bandwagon for awhile.
My gal even got me #58 Littleton T-shirt last Xmas.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A great signing. Even if its only a 1 year prove it deal. UFA Cory Littleton earned it. Could be in for a big payday next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Next question reference Cory Littleton is where will Wade line him up & play him? Does he want CL to remain @ the same post he played last season or will he move over a few feet to the Weakside Interior LB'ing post?

The apparent open LB'er position is where Mark Barron posted up the last few seasons. Cory is over 6-3 playing usually between 225& 228lbs. Not the normal NFL sized MLB'er. Rams were not successful in keeping the average run yards per attempt down to an acceptable level. Fact is the Rams were last in the NFL. Would you think that Wade will try to rectify this big negative?

The LB'er most often mentioned as being in line to fill the vacancy is 2nd year Micah Kiser 5-11/245lbs. Kiser is not close to the type of player or skill set of what Wade had in the weakside interior post since his arrival. When Barron was unable to man this post (which was often) Wade used veteran Ramik Wilson or Marqui Christian 5-11/207 lbs. Early in the last two 2018 preseason games we also saw Travin Howard 6-1/220lbs get a good amount of snaps in this post. Wilson has moved on to Jax.

I do not see Micah Kiser starting in the weakside ILB'er post. Kiser is a pure traditional throwback MLB'er from days gone by. However, I do see Cory Littleton being able to succeed & even be much better than Mark Barron ever was. I believe Cory is perfect for this WS ILB'er post.

Currently, Wade has four pure MLB'er types signed:
Bryce Hager
Micah Kiser
Patrick Natrez (R)
Troy Reeder (R)

Wade has two versatile Interior LB'ers capable of playing both of his inside posts:
Clay Matthews
Cory Littleton

Wade has four total with three new rookie weakside LB'ers:
Marqui Christian
Dakota Allen
Travin Howard
Ketner Kupp

Another element that will come into play here is just how much having legit NT's playing in front of these two interior LB'ing posts will have this season. Wade has a few of them now who lined up & played the NT post in college:

Greg Gaines 6-1/320 (R)
Sebastian Joesph-Day 6-4/310
Tyrell Thompson 6-3/300 (R)
Boogie Roberts 6-2/290 (R)
Bryant Jones 6-0/308 (R)
Marquise Copeland 6-2/292 (R)

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More accurately he signed his tender that was offered months ago. I wonder if it's in the plan to extend him to a longer deal as well.

dang

Legend
Disagree. It WAS curious Littleton didn't sign earlier. It looks like Littleton gets $0 of guaranteed money so could be cut at anytime and not be compensated. My guess is he tried for some level of guaranteed $$ and/or multi-year contract and I wouldn't blame him one bit. He is worth more than $3.095M and while unlikely he would be cut - he deserves some level of security going into off season training.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Good job. Now extend him for four years, and I'll be happy.
I'd love that too, but I gotta think that Littleton will 'bet on himself' and hope that a solid 2019 season will make him a very rich man as a free agent.

I've been a big fan of Littleton's from the start, back when he was just a special teams standout. Sadly, I think he's so good now that it will be hugely expensive to keep him.