Rams pre-draft mailbag: Cam Akers expectations, draft plans and…Caleb Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Could go that way, ... I still prefer a DL like Ade Adebawore working the interior & outside. Hoecht I like as a DL rotational player, i'll be quite interested to see what his weight is though before ruling him out completely as a part time edge OLB. Adebawore & a later round Edge OLB who falls some would be more ideal for me this season. With Gaines & A'Shawn gone, I believe Donald, Adebawore, Bobby Brown, Hoecht, Murchison & Copeland settle our defensive line for the season. If Andre Carter keeps slipping or Ochaun Mathis makes it to the 5'th round, they can join Hardy, perhaps some Hoecht, Keir Thomas and a UDFA in holding down the fort. Not necessarily ideal, but I do expect the Rams to go after an Edge during next years free agency period. One way or another, I'd like to see an Edge, IOL and TE taken with our first 3 draft picks. jmo.
Agreed. And looking at the interview list we potentially could have a lot of investment coming in the defensive front. It could be argued that hitting on a NT (or 5T) could have a big impact for us too and there's some guys who represent potential in that. But then I am sort of luke warm on Brown. Not sure he's gonna cut it.

If they were to just juice the shit out of our defensive front that may give this team a chance even this year. Would still require them hitting on one corner among some other spots of need but I like the idea of our front being able to shit on the 9ers OL. That would be real nice. :hug:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I appreciate Jourdan’s honesty here; and think she offers good value with inside information. However, she does sometimes disappoint. This Akers’ information has been out there for a while, and covering the Rams is her job.
I’m not sure you realize - but her comment is dated Dec 28, 2022. The poster maybe should have mentioned that.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Starting to think the Rams might simply take a couple Edge types early in this draft. Something like Ojulari at 36 to fill that pass rush threat we need so badly on third down, then a more physical type who can compete with Hoecht or beat him out day one as our strongside dude, like Tuli for example.

I don't know that we're gonna be in this position again for a while where we have this much Edge choice in the draft where we typically pick. It is kind of remarkable the deeper I look at the group.

And if they can hit on just a blindside Edge, just one really good rusher, then they add a LT of the future next year and we're looking a hell of a lot better at those cornerstone positions.
Doubling up on EDGE or the Secondary in an effort to make a position a strength wouldn't be a bad idea.

If said players were the BPA on the board at the time of their selections. I won't go as far as to say get the depth chart out of the draft room, but I hope that they could maybe keep it in the hall until about the 6th round.
:sunglasses:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. And looking at the interview list we potentially could have a lot of investment coming in the defensive front. It could be argued that hitting on a NT (or 5T) could have a big impact for us too and there's some guys who represent potential in that. But then I am sort of luke warm on Brown. Not sure he's gonna cut it.

If they were to just juice the shit out of our defensive front that may give this team a chance even this year. Would still require them hitting on one corner among some other spots of need but I like the idea of our front being able to shit on the 9ers OL. That would be real nice. :hug:

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about Brown myself, but concentrating his efforts at NT might be beneficial. As a year 3 DT he should now be ready, and if he is, that defensive front should not only help Donald by reducing opposition triple teams, but coming at the QB from different directions, and being better & faster at it, it can only make our DB's more effective. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about Brown myself, but concentrating his efforts at NT might be beneficial. As a year 3 DT he should now be ready, and if he is, that defensive front should not only help Donald by reducing opposition triple teams, but coming at the QB from different directions, and being better & faster at it, it can only make our DB's more effective. jmo.
I'll say this... I'd rather see them bring in a true NT like Mazi to pair with AD. Because the sheer size and physicality would greatly benefit our superstar 3T. Then slide Brown out to 5T.

If they get Adebawore then I see him as a 5T in our defense. Which is a need, no doubt. But it just feels like a real good NT addition would be the way to go irt DL as I think Brown has a better chance to translate to 5T than 1T.

But it's possible they don't see Brown as anything but depth. That would mean both spots are needs and they'll take the best option as it comes, if it comes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'll say this... I'd rather see them bring in a true NT like Mazi to pair with AD. Because the sheer size and physicality would greatly benefit our superstar 3T. Then slide Brown out to 5T.

If they get Adebawore then I see him as a 5T in our defense. Which is a need, no doubt. But it just feels like a real good NT addition would be the way to go irt DL as I think Brown has a better chance to translate to 5T than 1T.

But it's possible they don't see Brown as anything but depth. That would mean both spots are needs and they'll take the best option as it comes, if it comes.

I suspect Mazi may be gone before our 1'st pick, ... of course, so might Adebawore.
I ask because I don't know, but did Larrell Murchison ever play NT for Tennessee ? How about T.J. Carter at Kentucky ?

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect Mazi may be gone before our 1'st pick, ... of course, so might Adebawore.
I ask because I don't know, but did Larrell Murchison ever play NT for Tennessee ? How about T.J. Carter at Kentucky ?

Yeah Mazi also isn't on our interview list but Adebawore is. No idea on Murch though his build seems suited for the interior. I like my interior types stubby/quick like the old adage about the best NT being a FB who puts on a ton of weight.

5T you want more length which makes it kind of tough to find ideal types there. But Adebawore looks like a great candidate for that role.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I’m not sure you realize - but her comment is dated Dec 28, 2022. The poster maybe should have mentioned that.
I did not realize that. Should have looked more closely. Thank you for pointing it out.

Apologies to Jourdan Rodrigue.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The problem with a guy like Akers is that, right now, he hasn’t earned a second contract but, if he puts together a great year, he could price himself out of our market.
Either he'll not be good enough for us to want him back or good enough we can't afford him. Not a pretty picture. But then again I'm surprised Akers has lasted this long and survived the current roster purge.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Adebawore isn’t a polished player even for college. That could possibly drop him to pick 36.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Akers needs to put two full seasons together without slow months long starts, for the Rams to get any comp pick of value for him. The second round tender seems like a fantasy right now.

I believe he will be traded during this draft or shortly afterwards and the Rams will draft a RB.

This will be another failure because they likely only get a 6th or 7th for him with teams remembering his rift with McVay last year. Maybe they keep him and trade him at the deadline to a RB needy team, like when the Rams gave up a fourth for Michele.

I just believe that McVay likes to move on from players that he had problems with.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I appreciate Jourdan’s honesty here; and think she offers good value with inside information. However, she does sometimes disappoint. This Akers’ information has been out there for a while, and covering the Rams is her job.
As previously mentioned, this is from December. I remember seeing this as the first time it had been reported back then.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Adebawore isn’t a polished player even for college. That could possibly drop him to pick 36.
Yeah he is a nice prospect but seems on par with that round 2 group so I figure he will be there if the Rams want him.

I'd like to know what they think of Brown, what their expectation is. Because if they don't believe in him then DL is a big need.

But I have to think versatile and physical pieces for the front appeal to them regardless. Better you load around AD the harder it is for opponents to gameplan for him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I totally expect him to be there at 36, just question if the Rams are looking for a player like that. Raw but with excellent tools.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah he is a nice prospect but seems on par with that round 2 group so I figure he will be there if the Rams want him.

I'd like to know what they think of Brown, what their expectation is. Because if they don't believe in him then DL is a big need.

But I have to think versatile and physical pieces for the front appeal to them regardless. Better you load around AD the harder it is for opponents to gameplan for him.
Despite huge upside there is some hoping involved with Adebawore. Raw = risk/reward. I’d rather not go that route at 36.

I agree about DT being a need. Some of the udfa types haven’t helped all that much. They are depth. I viewed Bobby Brown as starter material, but after two seasons of barely playing, I have apprehensions.

This falls back in line with what Jourdan explained about the Rams drafting developmental type players because the team was stacked. Is Brown consider to be in the developmental category? They need talented instant starters imo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I totally expect him to be there at 36, just question if the Rams are looking for a player like that. Raw but with excellent tools.
I’m not so keen on using an early second rounder on upside. I’d rather see college production

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m not so keen on using an early second rounder on upside. I’d rather see college production

He wasn't looking too 'raw' at the Senior Bowl or Combine. Here's hoping others are seeing it your way and he slides into the 3'rd round area where Jourdan has him going.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's funny is I listen to expert takes on a lot of the players from early round 2 range on into round 3 and feel like it's hair splitting on ranking them because I don't see all that much difference rather just different types. Teams are gonna have them slotted based on fit since they're all similarly good players. Guy like Tuli or Adebawore if a team wants a strong edge and physical front addition with versatility he will be valued.

On the recent 11 podcast the guy was talking about Hall being more of a round 2 early guy. Well that all depends on whether you think he's that guy at the Senior Bowl. Because if you get that guy yeah you might have something. And I'm fine with the Rams going that route but I've been watching Tuli for example long enough to know that he's going to be a stud in the NFL I just don't know where he's gonna play. But it's pretty rare for me to like a tweener that much. Probably falling for the homer USC factor here but whatever I'm a fan I can do that.