Rams pre-draft mailbag: Cam Akers expectations, draft plans and…Caleb Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think they will offer Akers a reasonable 4 year deal with a built-in out option after 3 years. He has to know RBs are replaceable every draft. When the Rams made a run at McCaffery they were unsure about Aker's Achilles. I think he answered that by showing he's running with power again. If he remains with the Rams IMO it will come down to Akers. If he has a good year he probably could make more going elsewhere and the Rams would be happy with the comp pick. That's why I don't think they are particularly concerned about the RB position this year. Akers showed he's back last year and he's only 24 now.

At QB I really think they have a targeted QB in this draft. I think that is why QB2 is open. They can't be sure Stafford will even finish this year much less two years more. But they obviously would like Stafford through 2024 so taking their next franchise starter makes sense this year. If they can't get their targeted guy this year then I see them getting a QB2 in Round 5 or 6 and rumors are that Haener is one of a couple of QBs that they are looking at. He projects as a quality career QB2. Then they would go after their next franchise QB in 2024 and Snead will have the trade up assets available in 2024. (I see the Rams picking in the second half of the first round next year).

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
No way Rams should extend Akers or any RBs for that matter...Not worth it, I hope the model going forward is adding talent to that room every draft with mid/low round pick (4th or 5th rounder) and replenish the depth/look for a consistent/stable runner as guys' walk in FA.

Kyren should be getting reps to see what we have in him at RB next season if not this one while Cam plays out his deal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PARAM

Hall of Fame
FA target next year? Definitely edge rusher!! Really? The guys we drafted this year aren't gonna work out this year or in 2024? Who knew? It is what it is. A demand for 24 hour information about the team results in 23 hours of absolute ca-ca. One thing that did make sense...."the Rams aren't tanking for Caleb". No shit?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
FA target next year? Definitely edge rusher!! Really? The guys we drafted this year aren't gonna work out this year or in 2024? Who knew? It is what it is. A demand for 24 hour information about the team results in 23 hours of absolute ca-ca. One thing that did make sense...."the Rams aren't tanking for Caleb". No shit?
Could easily be another Edge next year, someone working the opposite side of whoever we may draft this season. Brian Burns will only be 25, and likely be a free agent, the Rams certainly showed an interest in trading for him last year. Perhaps an OT lines up for us also. We'll have the available CAP to choose wisely.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Rams extended Gurley because he was a rare talent at the position. No way they offer Akers a 2nd contract.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rams extended Gurley because he was a rare talent at the position. No way they offer Akers a 2nd contract.

The Rams making an offer and Akers accepting it may be two different things. Akers will only be 25 next year, and his mileage is still pretty low, ... let's see what kind of 2023 he has before judging.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The problem with a guy like Akers is that, right now, he hasn’t earned a second contract but, if he puts together a great year, he could price himself out of our market.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it would be another bad move to sign him before the years out. IMO he hasn’t established his value for the team. He ended 2022 in great shape. 2023 is a new year with new expectations.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think it would be another bad move to sign him before the years out. IMO he hasn’t established his value for the team. He ended 2022 in great shape. 2023 is a new year with new expectations.

I agree. He might also have some value at the trade deadline, hopefully by then the team will have a better idea based on his 2023 production and any early discussions with Akers' agent on what they want going forward. It's too early to decide this now imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Could easily be another Edge next year, someone working the opposite side of whoever we may draft this season. Brian Burns will only be 25, and likely be a free agent, the Rams certainly showed an interest in trading for him last year. Perhaps an OT lines up for us also. We'll have the available CAP to choose wisely.
Starting to think the Rams might simply take a couple Edge types early in this draft. Something like Ojulari at 36 to fill that pass rush threat we need so badly on third down, then a more physical type who can compete with Hoecht or beat him out day one as our strongside dude, like Tuli for example.

I don't know that we're gonna be in this position again for a while where we have this much Edge choice in the draft where we typically pick. It is kind of remarkable the deeper I look at the group.

And if they can hit on just a blindside Edge, just one really good rusher, then they add a LT of the future next year and we're looking a hell of a lot better at those cornerstone positions.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Starting to think the Rams might simply take a couple Edge types early in this draft. Something like Ojulari at 36 to fill that pass rush threat we need so badly on third down, then a more physical type who can compete with Hoecht or beat him out day one as our strongside dude, like Tuli for example.

I don't know that we're gonna be in this position again for a while where we have this much Edge choice in the draft where we typically pick. It is kind of remarkable the deeper I look at the group.

And if they can hit on just a blindside Edge, just one really good rusher, then they add a LT of the future next year and we're looking a hell of a lot better at those cornerstone positions.

Could go that way, ... I still prefer a DL like Ade Adebawore working the interior & outside. Hoecht I like as a DL rotational player, i'll be quite interested to see what his weight is though before ruling him out completely as a part time edge OLB. Adebawore & a later round Edge OLB who falls some would be more ideal for me this season. With Gaines & A'Shawn gone, I believe Donald, Adebawore, Bobby Brown, Hoecht, Murchison & Copeland settle our defensive line for the season. If Andre Carter keeps slipping or Ochaun Mathis makes it to the 5'th round, they can join Hardy, perhaps some Hoecht, Keir Thomas and a UDFA in holding down the fort. Not necessarily ideal, but I do expect the Rams to go after an Edge during next years free agency period. One way or another, I'd like to see an Edge, IOL and TE taken with our first 3 draft picks. jmo.