Rams’ plan at center is no longer a guarded secret

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams’ plan at center is no longer a guarded secret

THOUSAND OAKS — After the Rams made Matthew Stafford their new quarterback, the big question was who will snap him the ball.

A clear favorite for the role has emerged. It’s Austin Corbett, who has played left and right guard for the Rams but began his NFL career as a center with the Browns.

Corbett practiced at center with the first unit on Thursday, while Bobby Evans stepped into Corbett’s right guard spot, during the first session open to the media in the organized-team-activities phase of the Rams’ spring workouts.

Coach Sean McVay said Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton will compete for the job but the 6-foot-4, 306-pound Corbett, 25, is showing the athletic and mental skills needed to play center.

“Austin is somebody that we’re excited to see how he handles some of the things that really require some extra communication. He’s done a good job with that,” McVay said at California Lutheran University. “I think he and Matthew have established a nice rapport together.”

The plan at center was a mystery after 2020 starter Austin Blythe signed with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Rams drafted no offensive linemen.

But it appears McVay and new offensive line coach Kevin Carberry had Corbett in mind all along, a move that would give the Rams a different starting center in Week 1 for the fourth consecutive season, following John Sullivan, Allen and Blythe.

Sliding Corbett over from guard fits with McVay’s emphasis for versatile linemen and General Manager Les Snead’s insistence on the center being familiar with the offense.

Evans, 24, who is 6-4 and 312 pounds, is a beneficiary of how the Rams cross-train linemen for different positions. He saw most of his action in his first two years filling in for Rob Havenstein at right tackle late in 2019.

“I think the overall athleticism that Bobby has enables him to be able to play outside (at tackle) with his length and his size, but then he’s got the quickness when things happen a little bit faster on the interior parts of the line, (and he’s) a really smart player,” McVay said.

If Corbett and Evans hold those spots and David Edwards remains at left guard, a trio of 24- and 25-year-olds would play between tackles Andrew Whitworth, 39, and Havenstein, 29.

“I feel good about where we’re at right now, and it’s a never-ending process,” McVay said of the line.

BACK TO IRVINE

McVay confirmed that the Rams will hold training camp at UC Irvine this summer, returning to where they trained for four years before the COVID-19 pandemic kept NFL teams at their in-season facilities in 2020.

That’s not a surprise, with limits on sports attendance being lifted. In Irvine, more than 10,000 fans at a time have been able to watch practices.

Rookies and quarterbacks will report to training camp on July 25, other veterans on July 27, McVay said.

SCRIMMAGES PLANNED

The Rams are scheduling combined practices with the Las Vegas Raiders and Dallas Cowboys during training camp.

McVay likes to give his starters live action in those controlled scrimmages instead of preseason games, and Stafford said that was his own approach with the Detroit Lions.

“It lets guys that maybe won’t play in a (preseason) game go out and get a bunch of live reps against a team without the risk of a huge injury,” Stafford said Monday.

THUMBS UP

Two months after thumb ligament surgery, Stafford looked sharp throwing downfield passes in Thursday’s drills

McVay said he likes the players’ intensity in practice more than 100 days before the team’s Sept. 12 regular-season opener vs. the Chicago Bears.
“I like the urgency that’s been set by our veterans, and then the rookies saying, ‘Hey, that’s what the expectations are,’ ” McVay said.

HEAD COUNT

Several Rams skipped Thursday’s practice, the last workout of the first of two weeks of OTAs preceding a three-day mandatory minicamp next month. Players not there included defensive tackle Aaron Donald, cornerback Jalen Ramsey, outside linebacker Leonard Floyd, tight end Tyler Higbee and wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Outside linebacker Terrell Lewis and wide receiver Robert Woods were there but didn’t practice.

McVay reported no serious injuries and said veterans who have taken days off from the voluntary sessions have been in touch about their plans.

“They’ve handled it the right way,” McVay said.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meinerz may be a quality NFL OL in a couple years but my guess is most would agree for the next 2 years Corbett would be the better option at OC.
pQyQXBs.gif

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What's odd is Denver took Cushenberry in the 2020 draft and he started 16 games at center. Is Meinerz going to play C or G?

Flint

Pro Bowler
Noteboom will probably be the game day active swing tackle.

That's why I've been pushing for Anchrum to start learning the center/guard spot.

You only have two gameday active OL and you need a tackle type as well as an interior line type.

Even though Anchrum will probably be more successful as an interior linemen, we know that he can play RT in a pinch.
Has anyone actually seen Anchrum play?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
So wait, according to this article, if I read it correctly, Sofi is gonna be full next year!?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meinerz may be a quality NFL OL in a couple years but my guess is most would agree for the next 2 years Corbett would be the better option at OC.

This is a great point. People like to rely on rookies, but let's not forget that Greg Robinson was considered 5 times the prospect Meinerz was.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
This is a great point. People like to rely on rookies, but let's not forget that Greg Robinson was considered 5 times the prospect Meinerz was.
I would like to propose a new rule for Rams on Demand;

The nameth of Greg Robinson shalleth naught be spoketh.!!!

So let it be written.
So so let it be done!
Yes. The Rams coaches. We know he played special teams and was active for 11 games last year.

That means he was a game-day active.
Which basically makes him second string as a rookie.
Football smarts.
Crazy long arms.
Started for 2 NCAA championship teams.

But mostly the fact that they would bring him in as a second stringer as a rookie is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Outside linebacker Terrell Lewis and wide receiver Robert Woods were there but didn’t practice.

Pircher is one big ass dude. Also kind of disappointing to hear that Lewis is restricted. I mean damn if you can't do OTAs how are you gonna survive camp.
Didn't say he was restricted. My guess is they taking it slow with him. I sure hope it is just a day off. He should know the defense by now. Rams may just be giving reps to younger guys. Stay tuned.

Ram65

Legend
Looks like McVay had a plan for OC. Now it's competition time for RG. The offensive line could be very solid. If Stafford gets control of the playbook the offense will able to dictate to the defense they see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It is reported that Tremayne Anchrum logged in with 28 snaps in the 2020 season & suited up to play in 12regular NFL games his rookie season. Not sure but I would think that those 28 snaps came on ST's.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like McVay had a plan for OC. Now it's competition time for RG. The offensive line could be very solid. If Stafford gets control of the playbook the offense will able to dictate to the defense they see.
With Interior OL'er Coleman Shelton being assigned #2 OC in OTA's it does say a few things the Rams might have considered:

Allen's salary cost more than Shelton's.
Allen is a UFA & Shelton is listed as an RFA in March of next year.
Shelton is far more versatile & valuable as a game-day active reserve than Allen.
Shelton is also far less damaged than Allen.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Side note:

In 2017 and 2018 we had pass pro strength at LT and LG, weakness at C and RG, and pass pro weakness at RT.

We're now shaping up to have good pass protection at LT, LG and C and weak pass protection at RG and RT - but great run blocking.

This seems to be a schematic preference for McVay - to me it would make more sense to put Evans next to Whitworth.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It is reported that Tremayne Anchrum logged in with 28 snaps in the 2020 season & suited up to play in 12regular NFL games his rookie season. Not sure but I would think that those 28 snaps came on ST's.
Can’t attest to its accuracy but Pro Football Reference has a Snap Count stat. It lists Anchrum with three offensive snaps and 51 on special teams.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
With Interior OL'er Coleman Shelton being assigned #2 OC in OTA's it does say a few things the Rams might have considered:

Allen's salary cost more than Shelton's.
Allen is a UFA & Shelton is listed as an RFA in March of next year.
Shelton is far more versatile & valuable as a game-day active reserve than Allen.
Shelton is also far less damaged than Allen.
Alan has almost at that three strikes you're out part of his career.
He didn't look that good when he first started and you really didn't see him developing much.
He looks like he's under sized for a pro.
He had his knee tore up and he's still wearing a brace on it.

I'm still pulling for the guy but don't have a lot of hope where he's concerned.

I would definitely start cross-training Anchrum and maybe even Brewer.

To be a game active you almost have to play two positions on the offensive line.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
To be a game active you almost have to play two positions on the offensive line.

Valid points and keep in mind I'm sure Jordan Meredith will be a candidate for the practice squad to give them some insurance there. You're correct, Allen I'm sure will have every opportunity to prove himself in preseason, however, Shelton is bigger at 6'4 and can play guard, so the 9 OL I see them carrying come September Morn look like this, but if the Corbett experiment fails, Brian Allen is the only natural Center they have on the squad and that could be his opportunity.

LT....Whitworth, Noteboom
LG...Edwards, Shelton
OC...Corbett, Shelton
RG...Evans, Anchrum
RT...Havenstein, Brewer

Practice Squad, Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Valid points and keep in mind I'm sure Jordan Meredith will be a candidate for the practice squad to give them some insurance there. You're correct, Allen I'm sure will have every opportunity to prove himself in preseason, however, Shelton is bigger at 6'4 and can play guard, so the 9 OL I see them carrying come September Morn look like this, but if the Corbett experiment fails, Brian Allen is the only natural Center they have on the squad and that could be his opportunity.

LT....Whitworth, Noteboom
LG...Edwards, Shelton
OC...Corbett, Shelton
RG...Evans, Anchrum
RT...Havenstein, Brewer

Practice Squad, Alaric Jackson, Jordan Meredith.

Jackson doesn't make it to the practice squad. I think he makes the roster.

Keep an eye on Max Pircher, though. Not this year, but next year, when he gets a dedicated workroom regiment going? Look out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Need Interior Help​

Notable Undrafted Free Agents

The Rams signed 10 undrafted free agents, one of the larger classes this year. The star of that class was Iowa offensive lineman Alaric Jackson, who got a $20,000 signing bonus to come to L.A., per NFL reporter Aaron Wilson. Jackson, who grew up in Canada playing basketball and didn't play football until his junior year of high school, started each of his 42 games in a Hawkeyes uniform and has said he'd be comfortable at either tackle or guard spot.

Another experienced lineman, Jordan Meredith, started every game for Western Kentucky in the last three seasons except for the 2020 bowl game against Georgia State. He played guard for the Hilltoppers, but the Rams have listed him at center.:sur:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Andrew Whitworth: Rams Offensive Line Going Through ‘Feeling Out’ Process After Offseason Changes

1622743328559.png

There was plenty of speculation regarding the future of Los Angeles Rams left tackle Andrew Whitworth going into the offseason.

The Rams signing Whitworth to a three-year contract last April provided them with some much-needed security up front. The veteran had even been playing some of the best ball of his career until a knee injury landed him on injured reserve for the last seven games of the regular season.

Whitworth managed to defy the effects of Father Time by returning just in time for the playoffs. It seems the challenges he overcame in his comeback helped nullify any lingering doubt about sticking around.

The 39-year-old admits that this was all the proof he needed to return for the 2021 NFL season, via Stu Jackson of the team’s official website:

On returning for another season, Rams OL Andrew Whitworth said after having that hunger to return from his knee injury for the Rams' playoff run was when he knew he still wanted to continue playing football.
— Stu Jackson (@StuJRams) June 1, 2021

Whitworth will once again be tasked with serving as a stabilizing factor for an offensive line that underwent some key changes this offseason with new coach Kevin Carberry and a new center in Austin Corbett. He feels this is a crucial period for Carberry, Corbett and the rest of this group to get on the same page:

Rams OL Andrew Whitworth says this time of the offseason is a "feeling-out" process for the unit, between new OL coach Kevin Carberry and Austin Corbett at center. For Corbett, focus is on the technical work, and Whitworth said he's assisted with that transition where he can.
— Stu Jackson (@StuJRams) June 1, 2021

Whitworth is now poised for his most important job yet as the blindside protector for quarterback Matthew Stafford. He made it clear that he is all in on the team’s Super Bowl efforts after taking a pay cut in order to help the Rams to get under the salary cap.

The three-time All-Pro is slated to make some history this season as long as he stays healthy. Whitworth is set to make his 221st start to break a tie for the 10th most among offensive linemen in the season opener. He will also join elite company as one of the few players to play in their 40s once Week 14 rolls around.

Of course, all this pales in comparison to Whitworth’s desire to add that elusive Super Bowl ring to his Hall of Fame resume.