Rams Pick #249 DE Michael Sam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He's going to get a fair chance to make the team, just like rest of the draft choices. That's all he and the others can ask for. It's all up to them now.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't give a rat's ass if he likes men just as long as he beat's the Hell out of the Ninnies and Shitgulls 4 times a year! :D

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Well, the anti-Sam posters in Internet Rams fandom are going to have to be more specific now...

I kid... I kid...

Now, if this pick was made much earlier than this, I'd like it a lot less, but in terms of pure football talent, we got a bargain. He might go down as the best 7th round comp pick ever.

There's going to be some distraction involved with this guy and the media hype (probably still less than Manziel though) but as others have stated, no one will call discrimination when he's not a starter.

There is one thing I fear... certain elements of the media were all set to heap scorn and derision upon the NFL as a whole if he wasn't drafted. If he doesn't make the team, all of that's going to be leveled specifically at the Rams, even if there was good reason he didn't make the team.

It's kind of like how every troll who gets banned (on any kind of board) will always claim that it was never about their behavior, but because their opinions are being censored. Certain white knights would step up for Sam and insist that his orientation was the issue.

But, let's certainly hope it never comes to that. Right now, I'm a lot more comfortable having Sam on the team than Britt.

RamBill

Legend
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Wow. Emotional video from ESPN showing Michael Sam getting selected by the #Rams. Amazing. So happy for him.

Bernie Miklasz ‏@miklasz

Fisher on Sam: “After doing the studies, he’s a good football player. Excited to add him to our defensive front.”

Fisher on Sam: “I don’t have any concern whatsoever. We drafted a good football player.”

Fisher: “We have a young team but a very mature team … we’re not going to let any distractions affect this football team”

Michael Sam is a smart pick/fit for Rams. Team puts premium on pass rush. Can help. And Jeff Fisher has a strong locker-room culture.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

Good for Michael Sam.

Good for the Rams.

What a great visual on Sam weeping, from ESPN. That is beautiful.

Kudos to Stan Kroenke for empowering his football staff–Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, Kevin Demoff–and to them for making the call on Sam.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

The #Rams have selected #Mizzou pass-rusher Michael Sam, the league’s first openly gay player, at No. 249. Huge ovation at Radio City.

Jeff Fisher on @nflnetwork about Michael Sam: “I haven’t said a whole lot to anybody over the last week or so, but he’s a good player.”

Good comparison, with @MoveTheSticks comparing Michael Sam with #Eagles pass-rusher Trent Cole. Super-productive college players, tweeners

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

I don’t think anyone in the NFL is surprised Jeff Fisher, Les Snead and Kevin Demoff were the ones to pull the trigger. Good spot for Sam.

Michael Sam to the Rams … Joins one of the league’s best defensive lines.

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI

Now Michael Sam has to go win a roster spot. It’s not going to be easy in that St. Louis front seven.

Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole

I was a #rams fan growing up in LA. And I am again.

John Pollard ‏@JPSTATS

The remaining crowd at Radio City gives a standing ovation with the Michael Sam pick by the Rams

Bob Glauber ‏@BobGlauber

Michael Sam drafted by Rams in 7th round. Former Missouri DE becomes first openly gay player to be drafted by the NFL. #history

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

Michael Sam will have to beat out Sammy Brown & probably Eugene Sims to make the #Rams 53.

Nate Davis ‏@ByNateDavis

Good for Michael Sam. Good on you @STLouisRams.

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI

“Michael Sam!” chant at Radio City after that pick.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Rams make history. Michael Sam is a Ram.

Radio City Music Hall chanting, “Michael Sam! Michael Sam! Michael Sam!”

Tony Softli ‏@SoftliSTL

Rams draft Former MIZZOU DE/DPR Michael Sam. Rams just got a good football player!!!

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

It’s Michael Sam to Rams!

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Michael Sam stays in Missouri – Rams select with 249th pick of 7th round.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner

Looks like #Rams are going to take Mizzou DE Michael Sam.

A55VA6

Legend

BnT4HNbCAAAafK2.jpg

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Also... can anyone go lurk on Niners and Seahawks forums for the reactions? They were already NOT happy with our DL after drafting Donald, and their tears sustain me.

RFIP

If he can play,good. If not, then I hope they don't feel pressure to keep him and lose another roster spot. The third QB will already be costing someone a unit.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm a Mizzou grad and a member of the alumni association. I am biased I realize

But I'm really happy we drafted him. He is a Leader of Men. He was the heart of a team that no one thought would be good which finished 5th in the country. He works his butt off (no pun intended) on every play, off the field, and will be a valuable member to our locker room.

I am proud to be a Ram fan. I just hope he has enough talent to stick around

And I swear to God if any Westboro Baptist Church Mofo's come around I will be very pissed and might end up in prison

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We were also the first team to sign an African-American. We break all barriers.

RamBill

Legend
Michael Sam drafted by St. Louis Rams at No. 249

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: May 10, 2014 at 06:50 p.m.
Updated: May 10, 2014 at 07:27 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-st-louis-rams-at-no-249?campaign=Twitter_atl

NEW YORK -- Three months ago, Missouri defensive end Michael Sam became one of America's most discussed sports figures after announcing that he planned to become the first openly gay player in the NFL.

On Saturday, he was given that chance by the Rams.

St. Louis used its seventh-round pick at No. 249 overall to select the celebrated Tigers defender on Day 3 of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher told NFL Media's Rich Eisen that the team has been thinking about this for a while.

"We were very fortunate to have the supplemental choices," Fisher said. "You use those for players you want to give an opportunity to, that you think that you want to draft. I haven't said a whole lot to anybody over the last week or so but after doing the studies, good football player."

ESPN's cameras showed an emotional Sam as he got the news. It was a beautiful moment, like so many other shots this week of drafted players realizing their dreams.

Last year's SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year was no lock to be picked, but the Rams like Sam's promise as a pass rusher after he piled up 11.5 sacks during his senior campaign at Mizzou. He joins a loaded Rams defensive line.

Players and coaches league-wide have talked about Sam's sexual orientation as a non-issue. The NFL is ready for this, and Fisher doesn't foresee any concerns with Sam dealing with issues from teammates. New teammate Robert Quinn and other Rams tweeted their words of support right away.

"I don't have any concern whatsoever, Rich, I think you've known me long enough. We drafted a good football player," Fisher told NFL Network's Rich Eisen. "I'm excited to get him on the practice field and get him going so yeah, there's gonna be a little extra tension for a couple days, but Michael was the SEC co-defensive player of the year.

"That's important to us. Looking forward to this opportunity, we have a young team, a very mature team, that certainly not going to let any kind of distraction."

Praised as a high-motor defender with good anticipation, the knock on Sam is his size. At 6-foot-2, 255 pounds, he's small for a prototypical end at the pro level. What coaches and scouts love is Sam's intensity and drive, which have brought him this far.

Sam should be judged for his game film, not his personal life. St. Louis has set the table for Sam to be remembered as a trailblazer.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Wow, what a surprise. Nothing else to say but, bravo. Hope he makes it, but if not then fine - he got his chance. As a gay person myself I am still a bit shocked lol.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Wow, what a surprise. Nothing else to say but, bravo. Hope he makes it, but if not then fine - he got his chance. As a gay person myself I am still a bit shocked lol.
So as a gay man, what do you think about it? Do you think that others will be more willing to come out now?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't mind the gayness, it's the crying i find unmanly...

A lot of prospects, and people in general, cry when their dreams come true. Just because they don't fit your "alpha male crying is for bitches" mentality doesn't mean they aren't manly.

MrMotes

Starter
A lot of prospects, and people in general, cry when their dreams come true. Just because they don't fit your "alpha male crying is for bitches" mentality doesn't mean they aren't manly.

I know i'm new here (so how would you know) but i'm often sarcastic, and that was my idea of a joke...