Rams' pass rush is finally a strength of the team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Rams' pass rush is finally a strength of the team​

After years of relying on Aaron Donald to carry their pass rush, the Los Angeles Rams' 2024 roster feels like the first time in a decade they can call their pass rush unit a true strength of their roster. The Rams have drafted smartly to fill out this room, and it seems poised to be the rock they can build their defense on moving forward.

The main headline, naturally, is first-round pick Jared Verse. Verse's NFL-ready skillset and talent make him a shoo-in to be an uncontested starter for the team moving forward. He had at least nine sacks in each of his last three seasons in college, and he's poised to continue carrying that production into the pros. Verse is a popular pick for Defensive Rookie of the Year for good reason.

The Rams' other key starter is Byron Young, the team's third-round pick out of Tennessee. Young started virtually right away in 2023, playing the third-most snaps of the team. As a rookie, Young posted 50 pressures and eight sacks. While Young has plenty to work on, mainly developing a pass-rush plan, his immediate production and traits are exciting building blocks for the Rams' defense. He and Verse project as the team's two unquestioned starters.

The depth is the part that the Rams have really lacked over the years. They've been top-heavy, relying on players like Von Miller and Leonard Floyd to carry their entire EDGE room. I'd argue that their 2024 room could be better than the 2019 team that boasted Dante Fowler Jr., Clay Matthews, Samson Ebukam, and Ogbo Okoronkwo.

Michael Hoecht was re-signed in the offseason, bringing back 39 pressures and six sacks. Hoecht is an effective depth rusher, whose disruption should continue now that he likely will be able to rush fully as a depth piece instead of a full-time starter. Hoecht's 11.1% pass rush win rate led the Rams' pass rushers last season, and his leadership will be valuable for a group as young as the Rams' pass rush room.

Behind Hoecht, the Rams boast three intriguing young pass rushers: 2024 fifth-round pick Brennan Jackson and 2023 Day 3 picks Nick Hampton and Ochaun Mathis.

Jackson is a hot motor, high-effort pass rusher. His play strength, motor, and awareness make him a candidate to be an impactful player in the Rams' base fronts as an edge-setter. He also adds a player who can be a dependable special teamer, something the Rams have lacked in recent years.

Both Hampton and Mathis are coming off of relatively unremarkable rookie seasons. Neither posted a sack and neither played over 75 snaps as rookies. However, the tale of the tape shows promising players. Mathis battled injuries as a rookie, but has raw talent worth developing.

Hampton the player I'm most interested in of the two, however.

His quickness makes him a player that offenses have to account for, as he'll knife into the backfield before teams can blink if they aren't careful. His pursuit ability, bend, and coverage ability shone on his college film and offer the Rams an exciting player they can rotate in sub-packages. He has the talent to earn a significant role in the Rams' pass rush rotation.

For the first time in a few years, the Rams edge rusher corps feel like a unit that is a real strength of the team. It's certainly their deepest position on defense and the additions of Verse and Jackson make it even more potent. The Rams now have the depth to get creative with how they deploy their pass rush, instead of just relying on one or two players to carry the unit. If players like Young, Hampton, and Mathis take that next step with their development, the Rams' pass rush can carry the defense to a potential playoff run.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
A strength? We don't know that yet. We'll have a better idea after the 1st week o TC. Most of these guys have little or no NFL experience. I'm expecting to see plenty of bumbling, head scratching, and whiffs to start out.
Most times the D is ahead of the O. I don't think thats going to apply to the start of Rams TC.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Rams have assembled an intriguing group of young players. It is a change from the past, where they often went outside the organization to acquire pass rush help at edge.

I don't know if the pass rush is going to be there from week 1, though. It may take some patience, with all these first and second year players.

first time in a decade they can call their pass rush unit a true strength of their roster.

Disagree with that. From 2019-2021, the Rams defense had the second most sacks in the NFL, behind only the Steelers. And our pass rush was probably one of the top two reasons why we survived that Super Bowl with the Bengals.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah, a little early to be calling it a strength. They've certainly put considerable assets into strengthening it at the very least. It'll be interesting to see what Shula does post AD. We centered our pass rush around AD for good reason but am very interested to see how some of these young guys perform when being the ones the pass rush is being schemed around. Most likely the defense will be a bit flat at times early in the season with some frustrating mistakes with a real push into becoming that strength the farther the season goes. The youth movement is complete.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I don't have Hampton making the team at this point. And you could probably add Mathis to the cut list as well.
Other than that the author makes some decent points. Kinda amazin' when you think about it that Hoecht has become such a good pass rusher. Pretty dang good for a UDFA from Yale of all places.

~ArkyRamsFan~

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I learned a long time ago not to get overly excited over a rookie class. They haven't yet played a single down in an NFL game against NFL competition. I like Verse's talent. Fiske too. But I approach it with cautious optimism. Some guys take off from day one. Others need time.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Funny how they don't even mention Fiske or the guy who actually had the most sacks. Apparently the interior DL doesn't apply.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A strength? We don't know that yet. We'll have a better idea after the 1st week o TC. Most of these guys have little or no NFL experience. I'm expecting to see plenty of bumbling, head scratching, and whiffs to start out.
Most times the D is ahead of the O. I don't think thats going to apply to the start of Rams TC.
A great example of why we want to read yours and @VeteranRamFan camp reports. I'm real curious to see what you guys think.

Cheers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It will be interesting for sure. It sure looks like the Rams have quietly built both lines while inserting some vets in the backfield.

IMO it really depends on the offense. If they can put other teams in pass happy mode, watch out. It could go a long way in letting these high energy, pin their ears back youngins to find their groove.

sloramfan

Starter
kobie turner ain't worth mentioning i guess...

who writes this BS?... i can't believe i read this guy every time..

seems like sometimes he just misses the boat... or he reads the mainstream take and runs with it....

turner is the anchor....

i was watching teams double team him and single AD... more times than you would think!!!

anywho...

go rams

slo

p.s. the article was about the rams pass rush

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
kobie turner ain't worth mentioning i guess...

who writes this BS?... i can't believe i read this guy every time..

seems like sometimes he just misses the boat... or he reads the mainstream take and runs with it....

turner is the anchor....

i was watching teams double team him and single AD... more times than you would think!!!

anywho...

go rams

slo

p.s. the article was about the rams pass rush
I know! IIRC Kobie Turner was double-teamed as much as AD. Maybe because he played NT? And he also had a similar pass-rush win rate against those double teams. I really believe this young man is going to be special. Can't wait to see what he does this year playing more 3-tech.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
So you’re saying the author of the article suffers from premature Ram-sack-elation?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On paper there are many good reasons to be excited about the front 7. Many of us have said for a long time here you win in the trenches. The Rams have built this team with the best chance to win there in a long time and they're capable of dominating games. Going to really enjoy watching them earn the faith this article shows in them.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah there is no reason to crown the defense until it earns it. New DC on top of that stuff too. So a lot of moving parts and potential for complications.

However I do expect our defense to improve very quickly. I think we're going to feel the improvement in the safety room on early downs, with more teams finding themselves in third and long. And hopefully by the time the playoffs roll around the defense will have a strong group identity and be a resilient unit because if they improve we're gonna be a potential late playoff team.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think they're only talking about edge rushing for a pass-rush, and we do have to wait for them to show it on the field...but I have a very good feeling about the whole pass-rushing group on the edge (yes, I think that one of Hampton or Mathis makes a huge jump this year, and you have B-Jax and Hoecht to consider for depth). As far as the line? The Conductor and The Kingpin? Yes, please! Add in BB3, Desjuan Johnson, Tyler Davis, and one of our UDFAs (picking Olajiga), and that is a damn solid line.