Rams offseason analysis: Tight ends

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Positional-Outlook-Tight-Ends/db4a5fb1-6dee-4ebf-b7f6-36f44015b850

Rams Positional Outlook: Tight Ends
Kristen Lago

tightends.jpg

The 2017 Rams won their first NFC West title since 2003 with an 11-5 regular-season record. As Los Angeles’ focus shifts to 2018 and beyond, we’ll take a position-by-position look at how the Rams performed in 2017 and how each group currently stands at the start of the 2018 offseason.

TIGHT ENDS

TE | Tyler Higbee

— 25 receptions | 295 receiving yards | One touchdown

TE | Gerald Everett

— 16 receptions | 244 receiving yards | Two touchdowns

TE | Temarrick Hemingway

— Suffered a broken fibula in the Rams’ preseason contest against the Chargers and spent the 2017 season on injured reserve.

TE | Derek Carrier

— Eight receptions | 71 receiving yards | Three special teams tackles

TE | Johnny Mundt

— Played two games during the regular season | Signed a futures contract with the Rams in January

ANY FREE AGENTS?

Carrier will become an unrestricted free agent on March 14 when the new league year begins.

LOOK BACK, LOOK AHEAD

At the start of the Rams 2017 season, many outside of the building expected big things from the club’s tight ends. Before becoming Los Angeles’ head coach, Sean McVay had spent the last two seasons as Washington’s play caller leading the team to the league’s most receiving yards from the tight end position.

And while both Higbee and Everett played important roles in the Rams’ offense this season, McVay admitted that the group as a whole needed to be utilized more moving forward. According to Pro Football Focus, no team used 11 personnel (one tight end, one running back, three receivers) more than the Rams, who ran the grouping 75 percent of the time.

“You don't want to just operate out of one personnel group in an ideal world,” McVay said at the end of the season. “So we've got to continue to develop some depth at the tight end position.”

Higbee finished the year with 25 receptions and one touchdown on 45 targets, while Everett caught 16 receptions for two touchdowns on 35 targets. Everett also took a jet sweep for a 13-yard touchdown against the Giants. With that pair being utilized more at the tight end position, Carrier played a larger role on special teams.

Looking forward, the franchise will hope to get Hemingway back from injury during the offseason, which should provide more depth for the tight end group. L.A. will also need to evaluate whether or not it will hold onto Carrier, who will become an unrestricted free agent in March.

fearsomefour

Legend
Carrier should be a cheap keep and can block well and play special teams. Ok receiver too.
I would stay the course with the TE position. A lot of upside still there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Rotoworld has estimated that trey burton will receive a salary of around $5m per in fa.

Get. It. Done.

I don't want the rams to have to rely on higbee to make a clutch catch ever again. Because he can't. We've all seen enough examples of his poor hands if a defender is touching him.

We need a stud at the te position until Everett is ready and Burton is that stud. The two together will be deadly in a couple of years.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Offensive tackle(s)....2nd hardest...TE is up there tho....
No way they should receive a "B-" grade then, huh?

It's tough to play the position undersized....We seem to use a lot of ex-wr types....who can't block. That's the main problem with Everett and Higbee....not physical enough....

Of course...IMO.;)

Don’t agree , this group is not that bad.
I think you’ll see a big improvement in 2018. I also think there will be competition in some of the practice squad guys. Then maybe there is a TE in the draft that slips in value ?

D. Farr is not the best evaluator.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Rotoworld has estimated that trey burton will receive a salary of around $5m per in fa.

Get. It. Done.

I don't want the rams to have to rely on higbee to make a clutch catch ever again. Because he can't. We've all seen enough examples of his poor hands if a defender is touching him.

We need a stud at the te position until Everett is ready and Burton is that stud. The two together will be deadly in a couple of years.

Maybe Burton is a good call ? I think Higbee & Everett keep improving a lot.
—Higbee made a couple real nice plays for me to believe that.