Rams' offensive line still a major problem after Week 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Drafting a T in the first round.
That says a ton about Rams drafting 2018 & 2019 when they drafted two LT's Joe Noteboom & Jamil Demby then came back this last May drafting two more LT's in Bobby Evans & David Edwards. Then following up after these four draft investments to make a 5th major investment utilizing their first #1 draft selection since 2016 in an attempt to replace old man Andrew Whitworth?

Not saying that would be a bad decision by Snead because protection of Goff is goal #1, but his draft history since his arrival in 2012 in drafting an effective starting LT @ this time has yet to pay dividends & may end up being part of the ammo used for firing considerations instead.
Trading for or signing a vet LT.
Can the very short armed RG in Washington DC named Brandon Scherff play LT @ the NFL level?

I have no issues securing a trade for Brandon Scherff to play LG next to LT Joseph Noteboom that tandem would be a winner because Noteboom is starting LT material IMO.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
That says a ton about Rams drafting 2018 & 2019 when they drafted two LT's Joe Noteboom & Jamil Demby then came back this last May drafting two more LT's in Bobby Evans & David Edwards. Then following up after these four draft investments to make a 5th major investment utilizing their first #1 draft selection since 2016 in an attempt to replace old man Andrew Whitworth?

Not saying that would be a bad decision by Snead because protection of Goff is goal #1, but his draft history since his arrival in 2012 in drafting an effective starting LT @ this time has yet to pay dividends & may end up being part of the ammo used for firing considerations instead.
Can the very short armed RG in Washington DC named Brandon Scherff play LT @ the NFL level?

I have no issues securing a trade for Brandon Scherff to play LG next to LT Joseph Noteboom that tandem would be a winner because Noteboom is starting LT material IMO.
I wouldn’t consider midround picks “major” investments.
The Rams are likely to draft two more lineman based on Whitworth and Blythe.
Whether it’s the first round or not depends who is there.
Is a starting LT worth a first round pick or a trade? Hell yes.
Right now in terms of the next LT there are just questions.
Noteboom may be the guy.
Talking about Edwards, Evans, Demby, Brewer etc like they are sure things is silly at this point.
I understand the plan but it’s up in the air.
The team needs to make more investment into the line if both guys move on.
That’s all I’m saying.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn’t consider midround picks “major” investments.
The Rams are likely to draft two more lineman based on Whitworth and Blythe.
Whether it’s the first round or not depends who is there.
Is a starting LT worth a first round pick or a trade? Hell yes.
Right now in terms of the next LT there are just questions.
Noteboom may be the guy.
Talking about Edwards, Evans, Demby, Brewer etc like they are sure things is silly at this point.
I understand the plan but it’s up in the air.
The team needs to make more investment into the line if both guys move on.
That’s all I’m saying.
In my post above I only used the words "major investment" when mentioning the first round pick. However, Snead utilizing two second a day draft selections on LT's 2018/2019 is NOT minor investments either.

Yes drafting several OL'ers again in 2020 would be an(y):giggle: excellent decision!

From what we have seen thus far from 2nd yr OL Demby & Rookie OL'er Evans...i they are about as far as you can get from a sure thing. No ideal about interior OL'er Shelton, But there is some real positive hope about Edwards & Brewer from my end. Currently, today rookie OL Edwards must be our top reserve OT behind Whitworth & Havenstein.

I have enjoyed our :footconversations.

fearsomefour

Legend
In my post above I only used the words "major investment" when mentioning the first round pick. However, Snead utilizing two second a day draft selections on LT's 2018/2019 is NOT minor investments either.

Yes drafting several OL'ers again in 2020 would be an(y):giggle: excellent decision!

From what we have seen thus far from 2nd yr OL Demby & Rookie OL'er Evans...i they are about as far as you can get from a sure thing. No ideal about interior OL'er Shelton, But there is some real positive hope about Edwards & Brewer from my end. Currently, today rookie OL Edwards must be our top reserve OT behind Whitworth & Havenstein.

I have enjoyed our :footconversations.
I have hope for all of our your OL.
I remember Pace having some first year struggles.
None of these guys are Pace and don’t need to be. But, it stands to reason they (Allen, Noteboom, Demby) would struggle at times.
I am hopeful about the young OL and being able to find long term replacements.
I thinking drafting one or two OL/DL every year is a good policy regardless of what else is going on.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm pretty sure their first priority will be defensive tackle or run stopping linebacker.
I would actually be surprised if they used a pick on an offensive lineman before the third round.
Running back may be more of a priority.

We have a run stopping ILB in Natrez Patrick. he got in the game today and looked great... better than Reeder.

I think our biggest priorities in the draft will be OG as there will likely be nothing in FA. I think Ramsey will be in play as a CB. We may let Peters, Talib, Fowler and Brockers go and pay Ramsey and another cover CB.

Lots of time and unknowns, but I think this off-season is gonna be crazy.

That said, our top draft priority has to be stud OG or C. We need a Travis Frederick much more than a Bobby Wagner (I know...) and it bears repeating that there's just nothing coming up in FA among Centers or OGs...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's an indicator. You look at a chart like that and start asking questions. Clearly, the Rams aren't putting money in the interior OL. So what do they have? A closer looks reveals they have inexperienced, average talent, or out of position players.

The Rams knew this going in. They aren't surprised by their OLs poor performance, even if they hoped for better. This is part of their plan obviously. They are looking ahead. They go into the new digs next year, there wont be any "we may start slow because the OL is in transition" talk next year.

yeah, they will.

Whit is gone.

Blythe? Maybe.

Demby? Who knows.

Hav? sure, but inside or outside?

We're potentially looking at 2 new guys on the OL and as many as 4 guys in different positions.

The OL next year is gonna be even more different than this year's is.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have a run stopping ILB in Natrez Patrick. he got in the game today and looked great... better than Reeder.

I think our biggest priorities in the draft will be OG as there will likely be nothing in FA. I think Ramsey will be in play as a CB. We may let Peters, Talib, Fowler and Brockers go and pay Ramsey and another cover CB.

Lots of time and unknowns, but I think this off-season is gonna be crazy.

That said, our top draft priority has to be stud OG or C. We need a Travis Frederick much more than a Bobby Wagner (I know...) and it bears repeating that there's just nothing coming up in FA among Centers or OGs...

You don't like soon to be Washington free agent RG Brandon Scherff ? McVay was their OC when he was drafted #5 overall.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Brandon Scherff's Calculated Market Value

• 4 yrs, $49,872,044
  • Avg. Salary: $12,468,011

Well, dang. Stupid Spotrac. I searched all guards and he didn't show up as being a FA in 2020.

Well, yeah, Scherff would change things a bunch...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our biggest need is going to be LT. Whit is doing great for his age but the Rams have to address LT and get someone in here who can do the job. I have zero faith in Boom doing it right now, there is no way that dude will be able to stand up to DEs with good power moves. Blindside first and foremost.

OGs are a dime a dozen. And yes I know it's killin us right now but still. You can find those guys all over. But LTs? You gotta draft them early or hit on crazy odds in the later guys.

Right now they need to solve LG. That's my main focus. Allen is going to get the rest of the season most likely since there just isn't a better option.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our biggest need is going to be LT. Whit is doing great for his age but the Rams have to address LT and get someone in here who can do the job. I have zero faith in Boom doing it right now, there is no way that dude will be able to stand up to DEs with good power moves. Blindside first and foremost.

OGs are a dime a dozen. And yes I know it's killin us right now but still. You can find those guys all over. But LTs? You gotta draft them early or hit on crazy odds in the later guys.

Right now they need to solve LG. That's my main focus. Allen is going to get the rest of the season most likely since there just isn't a better option.

While the 2020 draft looks right now to have one of it's best OT classes in a few years, i'm not convinced this is our # 1 need with both Noteboom & Edwards in the wings. I'm not going to judge Notebooms ability as a starting LT based on his LG play, having not played the position since 2014 in only a couple of games. I'm actually more surprised that neither he or Allen were allowed snaps during the pre-season. Noteboom may or may not have a long NFL career, but for the foreseeable future considering our many other important needs, we may not have many other options. For sure we have a LG need in 2020, and finding a quality replacement for Saffold at this position should help both our young LT and Center find better success, just as a quality RG will help Havenstein & Allen focus more on their own situations rather than worry what the guy next them is doing. jmo.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
While it sucks, we did try to go "all in" to win a super bowl last season and we were happy about the results except for not winning the SB. But there's a price to pay and although we started 3-0, we now have the bill for the "all in". I trust management to get us back in contention this season or next.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
yeah, they will.

Whit is gone.

Blythe? Maybe.

Demby? Who knows.

Hav? sure, but inside or outside?

We're potentially looking at 2 new guys on the OL and as many as 4 guys in different positions.

The OL next year is gonna be even more different than this year's is.

Yeah, it’ll be different. But at least it’s abundantly clear that they have to invest more in the OL if they want to compete w the Niners. That DL will eat up the crap we put on the field this year.

One problem is we paid Gurley and Goff at least a year too early. Not enough cap now.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

That said, our top draft priority has to be stud OG or C.
Dude, I'm so unsure of what we have now or don't have now, I will probably make no more draft predictions before late November. :censored:
We have so many undeveloped and unproven players that it will take the next part of the season to figure out what we actually do have and who will develop out. On the offense and defense.

Out of Allen, Noteboom, Edwards and Evans, I would be happy if we get two starters out of those guys.

Offensive line is always PRIORITY ONE on a team as we were just recently reminded.