Rams' offensive line still a major problem after Week 5

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13456130.jpg

By: Steve Rebeiro | 7 hours ago

Imagine you’re back in school, and you get handed a math test. You have no idea what any of the material on the test means. You do your best, and when the results come back your grade is a 10%. You try hard to learn for the next test, and you’re able to improve your grade to a 45%. You still failed despite the improvement. The problem isn’t that you didn’t try on the first test. You’re just bad at math.
That’s what it feels like watching the Rams offensive line. After five weeks, they’re simply not a good unit. They were the worst in the NFL through the first four weeks, according to Pro Football Focus.Things got better on Thursday night in the Rams’ loss to Seattle, but not by much. Is it possible that they’ll continue to improve their grade and bring that F up to a D or, dare I say, a C? Sure, but there isn’t a ton of evidence that it’s going to happen.

Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, and Austin Blythe have no excuse this season. All three have seen their PFF grades tank from last year to this year. Havenstein’s fall-off has been the most notable. He’s been directly responsible for two Jared Goff fumbles, and has been getting manhandled when faced with tough assignments this season. His PFF grade dropped from 84.7 last season to 47.5 through the first four weeks this year. Havenstein’s dip was nearly double the size of Whitworth’s, who has slipped from an 83.1 to a 64.6.
The trio played better than last week, especially Havenstein, but continued to make crucial mistakes. Both Havenstein and Whitworth were flagged for penalties that could have been avoided. Havenstein has three false starts in five games. These guys need to play better. The team is relying on them. Hopefully they can continue to get back into form like they did, for the most part, tonight.
Then there are the new guys. Joseph Noteboom has struggled, but it would be silly to put most of the blame on him. He’s shown flashes playing out of his native position at guard. He whiffed on a block early in the game that resulted in a 5-yard loss, but it was a tough block to make. Noteboom shouldn’t be asked to make a tough block, and that’s part of the inherent problem with this offensive line.
Then there’s center Brian Allen. Last year’s starting center John Sullivan had a terrible year, and yet his presence is somehow missed due to how bad Allen has been. The Rams have continued to say that they “like what they see” with Allen. What, exactly, are they seeing? There hasn’t been a moment this season where Brian Allen has flashed greatness.

Allen was also responsible for arguably the most unacceptable mental mistake of the season. Faced with a third-and-10 on Seattle’s 35-yard line and 20 seconds remaining on the game clock, the Rams swallowed a delay of game penalty because Allen didn’t snap the ball. This doesn’t happen in the NFL. It barely even happens in high school football. The Rams ultimately made up the ground, but Allen almost cost the Rams 5 yards of crucial field position. Goff was screaming for the football. It’s hard to hear, but if you want to be considered one of the 32 best centers in the world, this should not happen under any circumstances.

The three veterans should get their act together. Noteboom might develop into a quality guard. But it seems unlikely that Allen will develop into even an average starting center. The Rams don’t have time to deal with growing pains of this magnitude.
Trent Williams is currently sitting on his couch waiting for a call. Hell, John Sullivan is sitting on his couch waiting for a call. If the Rams want to be playing in February, they need to take a serious look at this unit and see if there are any ways to improve it externally. There doesn’t seem like much can be done internally.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was it me, or were there several times when Brain Allen had no idea who to block, so he didn't block anyone. I'm sure someone on this board will be reviewing the plays. Be sure to look for Allen. Maybe he is the reason why Noteboom and Blythe are missing blocks?

Psycho_X

Legend
Was it me, or were there several times when Brain Allen had no idea who to block, so he didn't block anyone. I'm sure someone on this board will be reviewing the plays. Be sure to look for Allen. Maybe he is the reason why Noteboom and Blythe are missing blocks?

Idk if it’s always his fault but certainly communication is a problem at times for the whole line. But in particular for Allen and Noteboom I’d say. But while there were still annoyingly avoidable mistakes last night the line did do better and against a great defensive front. That coupled with McVay finally adapting to the 6-1 a bit I am encouraged for the future.

TexasRam

Legend
What a Lazy Fake News article.

I review each game and can tell you with 100 percent certainty that Allen has grown leaps and bounds from week 1. He is playing lights out. I was hugely critical of Kromer going with Allen before the season but am eating my words. He has been excellent. Did he screw up on the false start? yes. That doesn’t make him a bad player.

Our tackles have struggled in last games and in this game had some more penalties that hurt. But how much did you hear from clowney and Ansah last night? Nothing.

Blythe and Noteboom gave Goff excellent protection last night which was a great improvement over Tampa.

The greatest positive i take from the game is the Oline is starting to gel and Mcvay is finding ways to help Havenstein on the edge with the chipping and the screens.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Poona Ford agrees. Beat Allen multiple times. Allen needs to learn to use leverage a bit more against bigger DTs.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The OL did not give up 30 points and played well enough to put the team in position to win, on the road, against a playoff caliber team lead by a top flight QB.

Goff also played clutch when the game was on the line.

Lots of extra laps for the D.

D coaches can get out there and run, too.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Seahawks have Ansah and Clowney and were blitzing a lot but never recorded a sack. Still some breakdowns in the run game but I thought the O line showed a lot of improvement last night

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It All Starts With the Offensive Line
It’s a cliché to say that NFL games are won and lost in the trenches, but, at least to some extent, they are. The Rams didn’t just build their world-beating offense on the back of McVay’s beautiful mind—they did so with the best offensive line in football. Last year, the Rams ranked fifth in the NFL in pass blocking, per Pro Football Focus, and were first in run blocking. They also ranked first in ESPN’s pass-block win rate after ranking second in 2017. The team’s use of 11 personnel, presnap motion, under-center looks,and everything else McVay cooked up was brilliant, but the engine of the Rams offense was a line that simply mauled opposing defenses.

This season, though, that unit looks considerably different. The Rams let left guard Rodger Saffold walk in free agency, and replaced him with 2018 third-round pick Joseph Noteboom; they also declined to pick up center John Sullivan’s option, and replaced him with 2018 fourth-rounder Brian Allen. They did bring back Andrew Whitworth, though the reliable left tackle is now 37 and clearly far from his All-Pro 2017 form. On the whole, the offensive line has been a disaster.

Whitworth is still the Rams’ best lineman, but he ranks just 31st in the league in PFF’s tackle grades out of 78 qualified players, and
right tackle Rob Havenstein is 71st.

The interior of the line is even worse: Right guard Austin Blythe is 71st out of 75 qualified guards, Noteboom is 72nd, and Allen is 29th out of 32 qualified centers.

As a whole, the Rams rank 31st in pass blocking and 32nd in run blocking, per PFF, and 28th in ESPN’s pass-block win rate. L.A. has arguably the worst offensive line in football a year after having the NFL’s best, and that steep decline has had a ripple effect on every other area of the offense.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What?

This was their best game, by far - and it came against a good front. Dumb article IMO.
Easily their best game with a line rebuilt with second-year players that had no starts.

This is basically what I expected.

Look kind of shaky off and on during the first half of the season but as long as they are improving for the playoff run is about all we can realistically ask for.
Goff should start feeling more confident in them which should help his pass game as well.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
L.A. has arguably the worst offensive line in football a year after having the NFL’s best, and that steep decline has had a ripple effect on every other area of the offense.

I think OL has the biggest ripple effect of any position group, apart from QB. Affects your D as well with 3&outs and inability to establish the run. Surprised to come on here and still see this issue debated. Not that we had much wiggle room, but seems obvious we rolled the dice trying to skrimp on OL and lost.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
LG Noteboom may not improve much @ LG due to the fact he is far more OT than OG. The experience he gains will greatly benefit him for his return next season to his natural playing position. Does not help Kromer presently.

I predict that RG Austin Blythe ratings will get better as this season wears on. I am not suggesting that he will have end up with the same ratings he had last season, but he will be close. AB is a natural center who did fit the past overall 2017/2018 Kromer OL blocking scheme. I believe Rams have plans on replacing him for 2020 & let him walk in FA'cy in early March. Replace with a true larger stronger RG.

I have no ideal what RT Rob Havenstein pass blocking issue are......this is his 5th NFL season playing RT same spot & station is only 27 yrs old & supposedly healthy. Rob is playing his natural best playing position. He is built to play RT nothing else. He simply needs to greatly improve his overall play in his technical side @ pass protection. Rob just got a massive pay increase & the Rams invested large chunks of cap funds in him. This is his 1st of four yr contract. Rams are stuck with Rob until the conclusion of 2020 season, when they could decide to release him with only a $1.6 million worth of dead cap remaining. Havenstein does not have any push being aimed at him from Kromer's reserve OT unit.

Center Brian Allen just finished his first five starts in the NFL. He had very few snaps in the offense his rookie 2018 season. I expect Allen to improve his overall play with each snap. In any case Kromer should pay close attention to what Coleman Shelton can bring to his future OL. One thing that cost him his AZ job was his lack of strength. When you compare Shelton to Blythe both have the same weaknesses. I would think Shelton is heavily engaged with Rams strength coach. Right now Allen has no push coming from the back ups.

Summary: The #1 issue is lack of effective run blocking. Can't blame that on Havenstein. As pointed out above.... Kromer has no ready OC reserve. Kromer's best OG s an ex OLT Demby. His other reserve OG's Rookies Evans & Edwards are also ex OT's with little to no OG experience in college. IMO a true OG type is needed here to push the two current starting OG's to improve or vacate. Kromer does have two true OG types on his PS in Jeremiah Kolone {6-2/315 -320} & Chandler Brewer 6-6/320-325} both played OG much better than Demby in preseason. At some point I can see the release of Demby with the bring up of Chandler Brewer from the PS to push the two starting OG's.

Last edited:

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Offensive line is under heavy pressure to perform because of the effectiveness of that scheme. I think you see them pressing a lot. Gotta play loose. Uptight will give ya problems. Just my opinion.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
LG Noteboom may not improve much @ LG due to the fact he is far more OT than OG. The experience he gains will greatly benefit him for his return next season to his natural playing position. Does not help Kromer presently.

I predict that RG Austin Blythe ratings will get better as this season wears on. I am not suggesting that he will have end up with the same ratings he had last season, but he will be close. AB is a natural center who did fit the past overall 2017/2018 Kromer OL blocking scheme. I believe Rams have plans on replacing him for 2020 & let him walk in FA'cy in early March. Replace with a true larger stronger RG.

I have no ideal what RT Rob Havenstein pass blocking issue are......this is his 5th NFL season playing RT same spot & station is only 27 yrs old & supposedly healthy. Rob is playing his natural best playing position. He is built to play RT nothing else. He simply needs to greatly improve his overall play in his technical side @ pass protection. Rob just got a massive pay increase & the Rams invested large chunks of cap funds in him. This is his 1st of four yr contract. Rams are stuck with Rob until the conclusion of 2020 season, when they could decide to release him with only a $1.6 million worth of dead cap remaining. Havenstein does not have any push being aimed at him from Kromer's reserve OT unit.

Center Brian Allen just finished his first five starts in the NFL. He had very few snaps in the offense his rookie 2018 season. I expect Allen to improve his overall play with each snap. In any case Kromer should pay close attention to what Coleman Shelton can bring to his future OL. One thing that cost him his AZ job was his lack of strength. When you compare Shelton to Blythe both have the same weaknesses. I would think Shelton is heavily engaged with Rams strength coach. Right now Allen has no push coming from the back ups.

Summary: The #1 issue is lack of effective run blocking. Can't blame that on Havenstein. As pointed out above.... Kromer has no ready OC reserve. Kromer's best OG s an ex OLT Demby. His other reserve OG's Rookies Evans & Edwards are also ex OT's with little to no OG experience in college. IMO a true OG type is needed here to push the two current starting OG's to improve or vacate. Kromer does have two true OG types on his PS in Jeremiah Kolone {6-2/315 -320} & Chandler Brewer 6-6/320-325} both played OG much better than Demby in preseason. At some point I can see the release of Demby with the bring up of Chandler Brewer from the PS to push the two starting OG's.
I agree with everything you say above with the exception that I think that Noteboom has a good chance to improve as a guard.
And since they have drafted three tackles in the last 3 years with Evans, Edwards and Noteboom, I'm not even sure who will be our left tackle of the future.
They may even decide Noteboom is our permanent left guard.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Offensive line is under heavy pressure to perform because of the effectiveness of that scheme. I think you see them pressing a lot. Gotta play loose. Uptight will give ya problems. Just my opinion.
If they keep improving as they have been from game to game I think they'll be just fine.

It's all about repetition and playing together as a unit.