Rams Notebook: DEs Long, Quinn dominating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-r ... dominating

Shaping up: Rookie offensive lineman Rokevious “Rok” Watkins , who reported overweight, improved his conditioning enough to join team drills for the first time Thursday. “He's been working very, very hard inside,” coach Jeff Fisher told the Post-Dispatch. “He's still not all the way there yet, but he's getting close.” Listed at 6-foot-3 and 338 pounds, the fifth-rounder out of South Carolina lined up at right guard in the first full-squad pads practice. But with that spot usually manned by Harvey Dahl, Watkins is expected to vie for the left guard job.

Comfort zone: Taking over for the injured Danny Amendola last season, wideout Greg Salas made 27 catches for 264 yards out of the slot before a broken fibula ended his year. Now, with Amendola healthy and experienced slot receiver Steve Smith added to the roster, Salas is playing outside. He said it's not that big of an adjustment because he played outside at Hawaii. “I'm comfortable playing inside or outside, wherever the coaching staff puts me or thinks I'll be best at I'll go with it and run with it so wherever they use me is exactly where I'm going to go,” Salas said.

Technique is crucial on the outside, he added.

“You have to beat press coverage on the outside,” Salas said. “You are up against corners most of the time out there. It's just different maneuvering through crowds differently and you really have to win on the outside. It's definitely technique, getting in and out of breaks. You have a lot more room to wiggle and use your savvy on the inside. On the outside you have got to be more technically sound and learn how to beat defenders and get that separation for the quarterback to squeeze it in.”

Tempers flare: Dahl took exception to OLB Jo-Lonn Dunbar drilling RB Steven Jackson on a tackle Thursday. Dahl got in Dunbar's face, but it didn't get out of hand. "They're competing, and they understand," Fisher said. "The issue is allowing those things to carry over to the game. You cannot let those kinds of things carry over to the game. But out here, you can understand and appreciate them protecting their teammates."

Imposing duo: In one-on-one pass rush and team drills, Chris Long and Robert Quinn have been dominating the offensive tackles. The ends combined for 18 sacks last season and could really break out this year, if Quinn avoids a suspension for his DUI arrest. The Rams rarely played with the lead last season.

Fan Fest: The Rams will hold their first-ever Fan Fest on Saturday at the Edward Jones Dome. GM Les Snead will speak to the crowd at noon, followed by a 12:30 p.m. local time scrimmage. Players will sign autographs after the two-hour session.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The OT's is an interesting situation for me... People say that both Smith and Saffold look pretty bad so far in camp. So the question is, are they really that bad? Or is it because Quinn and Long are both just that good? Because they are good enough to make any OT look bad in my opinion... I just hope that Smith and Saffold can stand up to opposing teams though, give Bradford more than a second back there.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
The OT's is an interesting situation for me... People say that both Smith and Saffold look pretty bad so far in camp. So the question is, are they really that bad? Or is it because Quinn and Long are both just that good? Because they are good enough to make any OT look bad in my opinion... I just hope that Smith and Saffold can stand up to opposing teams though, give Bradford more than a second back there.
I remember hearing how bad Wistrom was in practice, but on game day he was pretty good. JT thought it was because he would go up against Pace, and Pace would just dominate him, the way Orlando dominated everyone. Maybe our DE's are just that good. I don't think our OTs are as bad as it makes it seem. At the very least, this level of competition for them is good...it'll help them handle elite DE better on gameday.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Yeah, that could have something to do with it. If the report had said how good Saffold and Smith looked, people would be asking why Long and Quinn can't get past them.

"Chris Long is still injured from when Spags played him with a bad ankle."
"Told you Robert Quinn was a bust."

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/billy.mp3[/mp3]

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Yup, much depends upon the OT's this season. It will be interesting to see them operate against the 2's....then again, we only need to wait a week to see them up against the Colts. :yeh: