Rams need to sort out mess at wide receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... le=HP11_cp

Rams must sort out wide receiver position

The St. Louis Rams' new brass, general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher, looked at their wide receiver personnel and knew they needed some help. That's why they drafted Brian Quick and Chris Givens with their second- and fourth-round picks this offseason. Both players have impressed in offseason workouts and figure to get playing time as rookies.

The team also has Danny Amendola and former New York Giants receiver Steve Smith to play the slot. That's four wideouts and we haven't mentioned Brandon Gibson, who was a starter for much of last year. We also haven't mentioned Greg Salas and Austin Pettis, who were both taken in the middle rounds of last year's draft. (Salas showed promise before a season-ending injury).

We have yet to mention Danario Alexander, a former Missouri product that has flashed potential and inspired way too many feature stories in his short career.

There is a saying that when you have two quarterbacks, you really don't have any. We'd argue that when you have eight wide receivers that you can barely tell apart, you don't really have any.

The Rams need players from this group to emerge. They need to do a better job than the previous regime of making a plan at receiver and sticking with it.

Not having a plan is how you end up with eight wide receivers all fighting for a few spots.

Anonymous

Thanks for posting.

But that one's a disappointment. As a regular article poster, I know the feeling.

I mean...just think how many regular diehard Rams posters could have done better with the same topic.

For one thing we actually can tell the receivers apart.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
Thanks for posting.

But that one's a disappointment. As a regular article poster, I know the feeling.

I mean...just think how many regular diehard Rams posters could have done better with the same topic.

True. That one deserves a comment at the site from which it originated. I might do that later.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

steferfootball

Starter
zn said:
I often confuse Danny Amendola and Danareo Alexander when I see them play. Their play style and physical make up is just so similar.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
At this point, I'd rather have the competition at WR than have the WR situation we had in 2009-2010. I think Salas will take a big step forward this year and challenge for starting time. As much as I want Quick to start, I don't think he has enough seasoning, having only played 5 years of football. However, I look for him to become a big contributor in 2013. I think Givens may contribute right away, because he has the one thing we really lack at WR which is speed to stretch the field. I think Danny A will really help move the chains.

It might look like "a mess" right now, but in a year or two it could be pretty good.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
brokeu91 said:
At this point, I'd rather have the competition at WR than have the WR situation we had in 2009-2010. I think Salas will take a big step forward this year and challenge for starting time. As much as I want Quick to start, I don't think he has enough seasoning, having only played 5 years of football. However, I look for him to become a big contributor in 2013. I think Givens may contribute right away, because he has the one thing we really lack at WR which is speed to stretch the field. I think Danny A will really help move the chains.

It might look like "a mess" right now, but in a year or two it could be pretty good.

In which case it would that things NOW are better than they look

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
steferfootball said:
zn said:
I often confuse Danny Amendola and Danareo Alexander when I see them play. Their play style and physical make up is just so similar.

LOL

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Quick
Salas
Givens
Smith
DX

Boom. Done.

Throw in Gibson if they want 6 WRs.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Angry Ram said:
Quick
Salas
Givens
Smith
DX

Boom. Done.

Not sure how you can just let Amendola go though.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Angry Ram said:
Quick
Salas
Givens
Smith
DX

Boom. Done.

Sorry, I can't buy what you're selling. Even if Salas takes a big step forward he isn't as good as Danny Amendola. DA isn't just a poor man's Wes Welker, he IS AS GOOD as Welker, just on a poor man's team! Of course that's my opionion, but he's in the mix. I'll take:

Quick
Smith (assuming health is good)
Amendola (slot)
Givens
Salas

I think those are no doubt the top 5. I think DX (who I love as a huge MU fan), Gibson, and Pettis are on the outside looking in. Of course one of them could make the team if the staff decides to keep 6 or if Smith's health is questionable or one of the top 5 goes down with an injury. God forbid THAT happen again, but it seems like it happens every year, so I guess it's nice to have some guys with experience fighting for that spot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1334312889.gif

I plum done forgot about Amendola.

Quick
Salas
Givens
Amendola
Smith

DX.

Now boom. Done.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Angry Ram said:
1334312889.gif

Quick
Salas
Givens
Amendola
Smith

DX.

Now boom. Done.

HA! That's funny! I think our list agrees now...

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
1334312889.gif

Quick
Salas
Givens
Amendola
Smith

DX.

Now boom. Done.

Salas, Amendola, Quick, Givens, Pettis. And then who knows but it won't be DX and could be a wild card like Campbell...or it could be Smith.

The one guy I would bet against in the first 5 is Pettis cause he needs to shine more than normal to overcome a suspension.

I don't expect that much from Quick this year. I did the numbers. Of WRs taken in round 2 since 2005, only 30% contributed more than 300-400 yards their first year. That includes guys like Rice and V.Jackson. He could be one of the 30 percentile types, but then even then the 2nd rounders who actually do anything in year one usually average around 40 catches and 600-700 yards or so. As a rule, if GMs think a WR can contribute more than that as rookies, they don't make it to the 2nd round.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I agree...to an extent:

Brian Quick ( We obviously need a number one, and Quick is as close to a number one on this team as you'll get.)

Steve Smith (He was an awesome number two with the Giants, and if he's healthy, he'll be amazing for us as well.)

Danny Amendola (He is our most established wideout at this point, and I still think that he can reach 100 receptions.)

Chris Givens (An obvious choice, seeing as they're trying to groom him for a starting role. His speed could be enough to get him on the field in game situations.)

Greg Salas (A very physical slot receiver who could eventually be Amendola's replacement. His play from last year will help him make the team.)

Austin Pettis (Alexander is too unreliable, and Gibson won't get another shot. Aside from that, Pettis is a big target with soft hands, and he still has a good bit of potential left in him.)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
I agree...to an extent:

Brian Quick ( We obviously need a number one, and Quick is as close to a number one on this team as you'll get.)

Steve Smith (He was an awesome number two with the Giants, and if he's healthy, he'll be amazing for us as well.)

Danny Amendola (He is our most established wideout at this point, and I still think that he can reach 100 receptions.)

Chris Givens (An obvious choice, seeing as they're trying to groom him for a starting role. His speed could be enough to get him on the field in game situations.)

Greg Salas (A very physical slot receiver who could eventually be Amendola's replacement. His play from last year will help him make the team.)

Austin Pettis (Alexander is too unreliable, and Gibson won't get another shot. Aside from that, Pettis is a big target with soft hands, and he still has a good bit of potential left in him.)
Bam! Agreed. I love DX though, but I think that most do. Poor kid just can't stay healthy.

Anonymous

Memento said:
I agree...to an extent:

My disagreements, fwiw. I think it remains to be seen if Quick is a #1. (But then I have a very strict definition of a #1 WR). And I think Salas is far more than a slot guy. Pettis is fine...he had rookie nerves just like Salas and Kendricks did. Pettis has it over Gibson because of his general foot quickness and windmill reach. IMO Pettis is kind of a "Dollar Store Half Price Sale" man's Colston.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
zn said:
Memento said:
I agree...to an extent:

My disagreements, fwiw. I think it remains to be seen if Quick is a #1. (But then I have a very strict definition of a #1 WR). And I think Salas is far more than a slot guy. Pettis is fine...he had rookie nerves just like Salas and Kendricks did. Pettis has it over Gibson because of his general foot quickness and windmill reach. IMO Pettis is kind of a "Dollar Store Half Price Sale" man's Colston.
There were more than a couple times that we saw Pettis break open on a deep seem route. I need to see more of him in the NFL before I quit on him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
zn said:
Memento said:
I agree...to an extent:

Sorry. I probably didn't clarify my standpoint well enough. I meant that Quick was the closest thing we have to a number one wide receiver on this team. He reminds me of Brandon Marshall talent-wise. Obviously, he isn't there yet, but I think he'll get there sooner rather than later.

Salas could be an outside guy, but I like him better in the slot. It gives him more opportunities to use his natural skills (catching short to intermediate passes and letting his speed and strength take over from there).

I like Pettis a whole lot. I don't see Colston in him, though; Colston is much bigger and is a much better possession receiver. In my opinion, Pettis is a Jordy Nelson type (probably won't reach that exact upside, but he's definitely comparable to Nelson); like DR said, he's a real threat when it comes to fade routes. He won't wow you with speed, size, strength, or overall athletic prowess, but he's a smart receiver with extremely good hands. I agree that the offseason last year affected him a lot, and I see him as extremely motivated to prove doubters wrong on the field.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
zn said:
Memento said:
I agree...to an extent:

See I think of Pettis as a "Neiman Marcus" Laurant Robinson pre Dallas

Anonymous

Memento said:
zn said:
Memento said:
I agree...to an extent:

Sorry. I probably didn't clarify my standpoint well enough. I meant that Quick was the closest thing we have to a number one wide receiver on this team. He reminds me of Brandon Marshall talent-wise. Obviously, he isn't there yet, but I think he'll get there sooner rather than later.

Salas could be an outside guy, but I like him better in the slot. It gives him more opportunities to use his natural skills (catching short to intermediate passes and letting his speed and strength take over from there).

I like Pettis a whole lot. I don't see Colston in him, though; Colston is much bigger and is a much better possession receiver. In my opinion, Pettis is a Jordy Nelson type (probably won't reach that exact upside, but he's definitely comparable to Nelson); like DR said, he's a real threat when it comes to fade routes. He won't wow you with speed, size, strength, or overall athletic prowess, but he's a smart receiver with extremely good hands. I agree that the offseason last year affected him a lot, and I see him as extremely motivated to prove doubters wrong on the field.

But, see, I don't think Salas's natural skills are restricted to that. Paradoxically, it seems that way because so far we have only seen him in the slot. I think he has the same general physical skill set as Hines Ward, though maybe with niftier feet, and Ward was never just a slot guy. Plus it looks to me like Salas has good actual game speed. Pettis, IMO, does have top natural talents--including quick feet and a very wide catching radius.