Rams' Mark Barron: No practice yet this week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1632196/mark-barron

by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Barron (thumb) didn't practice Thursday, Rich Hammond of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

Barron has made up for a one-tackle showing against the Colts in the season opener, totaling 48 tackles (42 solo), one sack and one interception over the last five games. With a thumb injury keeping him out of practice the past two days, there is some murkiness about his odds to suit up Sunday against the Cardinals in London. As such, his status should be watched closely to ensure his IDP viability for Week 7.

Rams Week 7 injury report: Mark Barron, Cody Davis out Wednesday
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-week-7-injury-report-mark-barron-cody-davis/

Mark Barron was on the injury report all last week with a knee injury, and he popped up on Wednesday’s list with a new ailment. He has a thumb injury that kept him out of the Rams’ first day of practice.

In addition to Barron being a non-participant, Cody Davis was also held out with a thigh injury. Connor Barwin, John Sullivan and Andrew Whitworth were given their usual veteran rest days, as well.

The Rams are still in Jacksonville and held Wednesday’s practice at the University of North Florida. They leave for London on Thursday, shortening the amount of time spent across the pond.

As for the Cardinals, they’re also relatively healthy with only two players missing practice: Olsen Pierre and Xavier Williams. Patrick Peterson practiced on a limited basis with a quad injury, as well.

http://www.therams.com/team/injury-report.html

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Time for Corey Littleton to step up....I think he's ready.

But I doubt Barron misses the game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time for Corey Littleton to step up....I think he's ready.

But I doubt Barron misses the game.

Mark Barron was limited & had knee issues last week before the Jags game now he has a thumb issue. I can clearly see Cory Littleton being on the field a lot on first downs. Cory has the knack for being involved in big plays.

Having starting FS Lamarcus Joyner & Wade's 4th corner Troy Hill back in full action is sure to help. FS Cody Davis who has been starting in place of LJ has been improving week by week.Cody Davis has been limited due to that thigh now for well over 3 weeks. Cody has been toughing it out until LJ was ready to return. I am sure Cody will now gets some down time.

Rams likely to get good look at future safety duo vs. Cardinals on Sunday
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-joyner-john-johnson-safety-cardinals-week-7/

Sean McVay has been saying it for what seems to be weeks, but it finally sounds like Lamarcus Joyner will be back on the field for the Rams on Sunday. He was a full participant in the first practice of the week Sunday as he’s been recovering from a hamstring injury since Week 3.

It’s the first time Joyner has been a full-go since prior to the injury. McVay feels confident his stud free safety will be on the field against the Cardinals.

usatsi_102737821.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

“Yes, if everything goes according to plan,” McVay said of whether Joyner is on track to play in London. “He said he felt good today. It was a little bit modified tempo just dealing with the atmosphere, but he felt good and the anticipation is that he’ll be ready to go and start for us.”

Cody Davis, who’s filled in for Joyner the past three games, was held out of Wednesday’s practice with a thigh injury. His status for this week is unclear, but it’ll be less of a concern if Joyner is able to go.

This could be the first time we get a good look at the Rams’ starting safety duo for years to come. John Johnson, who took over the strong safety job when Maurice Alexander was released, has played extremely well. He had a near-pick-six against the Seahawks and rebounded nicely after taking a poor angle on Leonard Fournette’s first carry Sunday.

usatsi_10335521.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

He and Joyner give Wade Phillips a versatile combo on the back end, one that could roam the secondary for many years to come. They’re both young and rangy in the middle of the field, showing the ability to play free and strong safety interchangeably.

Prior to injuring his hamstring in Week 3, Joyner was playing like one of the best free safeties in the game. He currently has an overall grade of 88.7 from Pro Football Focus, good for the No. 4 safety in football this season.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Having starting FS Lamarcus Joyner & Wade's 4th corner Troy Hill back in full action is sure to help. FS Cody Davis who has been starting in place of LJ has been improving week by week.Cody Davis has been limited due to that thigh now for well over 3 weeks. Cody has been toughing it out until LJ was ready to return. I am sure Cody will now gets some down time.
I kinda liked where this secondary was going with Cody and JJ back there...Improving every game....I figured Joyner would get the Mo Alexander treatment. LOL.....seriously....I figured Cody and Johnson had solidified their positions as starters.

I think Mark Barron playing on passing downs only is a fantastic idea....or just rest him altogether. Playing ILB has to be beating him up. I doubt he could last the entire year in there...He seems to be playing mostly man coverage on 2nd and 3rd downs

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I kinda liked where this secondary was going with Cody and JJ back there...Improving every game....I figured Joyner would get the Mo Alexander treatment. LOL.....seriously....I figured Cody and Johnson had solidified their positions as starters.

I think Mark Barron playing on passing downs only is a fantastic idea....or just rest him altogether. Playing ILB has to be beating him up. I doubt he could last the entire year in there...He seems to be playing mostly man coverage on 2nd and 3rd downs

I fully expect Joyner to step back into the starting free safety role. But still dropping down in nickle and dime situations bringing Cody Davis onto the field.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
The Mark Barron thing seems odd to me. Last week was a knee. This week it's a thumb?

A thumb?

Seems like that's a tape job for gameday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Mark Barron was limited & had knee issues last week before the Jags game now he has a thumb issue. I can clearly see Cory Littleton being on the field a lot on first downs. Cory has the knack for being involved in big plays.
Barron may have been Limited prior to the Jags game, but he still racked-up 8 Tackles - 7 Solo / 1 sack / 1 Tackle for Loss / and a QB Hit!

Littleton will get his snaps in rotation in Wade's "D"!

Barron will Play and We will Kick the Cards A$$!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I am with you here LACHAMP46 on the duo of rookie JJ III & the veteran3rd safety Cody Davis. Both of these safeties have outstanding range! If Cody ever gets a chance to be come a starter somewhere in the NFL he is going to get a half dozen picks. Cody also seemed to be gradually getting better in his angles & his tackling too as he saw more action.

If Trumaine Johnson & Webster can settle down & move towards their A game we will be in great shape in this secondary. Johnson is trending the wrong direction IMO. Webster has his brain farts but overall seems to be trending the right way.

I have no ideal if the UFA Cody Davis desires to be a starter in the NFL or if he can be enticed to sign a secure long term guaranteed low cost contract here but with both LJ, Tru, NRC & Hill all involved in free agency in March Cody Davis would be a great insurance policy if LJ decides to bolt for big $$$ UFA contract. I think you could get Cody signed early.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
The Mark Barron thing seems odd to me. Last week was a knee. This week it's a thumb?

A thumb?

Seems like that's a tape job for gameday.
First thing that came to mind when i read about the thumb, was 3 fingered Peirre Paul. Lol

I wonder if this is a strategical move on McVays part? Keep the opponent guessing whos goong to play in the back field Sunday. Makes sense, bc now the cards have to watch tape on multiple players bc they're not sure who is going to be active.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sorry @LACHAMP46 but I prefer Lamarcus over Cody. Both hit hard and have range but Joyner is quicker, faster and can Jump higher, because we all know -'White Men Can't Jump.'

Cody is a great back up, and if Joyner goes in free agency Cody could fill the void. But for now L&J are my preference to start.

nighttrain

Legend
Sorry @LACHAMP46 but I prefer Lamarcus over Cody. Both hit hard and have range but Joyner is quicker, faster and can Jump higher, because we all know -'White Men Can't Jump.'

Cody is a great back up, and if Joyner goes in free agency Cody could fill the void. But for now L&J are my preference to start.
Davis is faster, 4.3 40 speed, otherwise agree with you
train

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But still dropping down in nickle and dime situations bringing Cody Davis onto the field.
Yeah, my main thoughts are NRC is a better nickle-corner than Joyner.
Johnson is trending the wrong direction IMO.
Agree...he may say he can play man....but he's more of a zone/off man cover guy. Not real good recovery speed. Doesn't seem to shut down opponents #1 wr...

Sorry @LACHAMP46 but I prefer Lamarcus over Cody.
No problem gnome....
But in the little time Cody has played....he's broken up almost twice the # of passes as LaMarcus....He's just a better pass defender. He reads the QB well....and can cover more ground when the ball is in the air.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cody Davis is banged up as well and might not play. If Joyner is healthy his job is safe he's been very good this year.

screen-shot-2017-10-20-at-8-12-31-am.png

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cory Littleton might just be better against the run.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He also might be worse. Barron has been playing pretty well the last two weeks.

I don't think so, Littleton had plenty of snaps last week and played very well, IMO, with the exception of maybe in coverage, I don't think there will be much of a drop off.

TexasRam

Legend
Marc Barron has played lights out the last few weeks. It could really affect the game if he’s not in. I say strap it up.