Rams mailbag: Rookies arrive in St. Louis/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams mailbag: Rookies arrive in St. Louis
By Nick Wagoner,

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams began their rookie "orientation" on Friday as the offseason conditioning program rolls on.

But it's not just the rookies that have your attentions, so let's open up this week's mailbag and see what's on your mind.

Graham Hone @2A4T3T
What do you see mannions future to be? Will he take reigns after this season and they let foles walk?

@nwagoner: If that's Sean Mannion's future, it probably doesn't bode well for the 2015 Rams. Nick Foles is the starter for this team and it's hard to see a circumstance in which Mannion would be able to do enough to win the job from Foles after the season. I'm also not sold that Mannion will ever be a starter. Not ruling it out, but making such a proclamation now would be way over the top. In the Rams' ideal world, Foles plays very well in 2015, earns an extension and the team can keep bringing Mannion along as a solid backup.

Ram Jam @RamsFansUnite
With another owners meeting coming up, what should we be looking for this time re: Rams stadium/relocation situation?

@nwagoner: I will be in attendance at these owners meetings as well out in San Francisco next week. And I think the Los Angeles/stadium conversation will be far more prominent than the ones in March. If nothing else, I'm expecting a determination to be made on whether there will be a vote at the end of this year to alllow teams to file for relocation. Mind you, that's not the same as a vote for allowing a team to relocate but just to bump the timeline up on when they can file. It still remains to be seen whether the various projects will be presented at length to the owners this time around or if they simply get just another update. We'll try to nail that down before wheels go up to San Francisco. Either way, Los Angeles, relocation and current stadium situations will be a major topic this time around.

Adam Gingrich @adam_gingrich
Would you have liked to see the Rams use their extra 7th on La'el Collins?

@nwagoner: I tend to understand both sides in this situation. With so many unknowns, it's risky to take a chance until you have all the information. On the other hand, you could have possibly landed a first-round talent with a seventh-round pick by drafting La'el Collins and forcing his hand a bit. He threatened to sit out if drafted on day three. There was plenty of confusion over whether he could even do that or not, but it's beside the point. If the Rams wanted to, they could have made him come to the conclusion that he wanted to sit out a year. I don't feel strongly one way or the other but I certainly understand why fans would have liked the team to do that.

Peter George @MalibuRams
What are your expectations for lemarcus Joyner this year?

@nwagoner: Lamarcus Joyner was a guy who started to show signs that he was coming on toward the end of last season. With the emergence of E.J. Gaines, his role was reduced, but I think long-term the team still believes strongly in him as a nickel corner. I tend to agree with them. I was high on Joyner coming out of Florida State and my opinion on that hasn't changed. He still has plenty to prove, but he's too intelligent and too tough not to become an effective contributor. It was also interesting to note that linebacker James Laurinaitis named Joyner as a player he's expecting big things from in 2015. That comment was unprovoked.

-Bro @helabucket
Any news on the practice session with the Cowboys after or before their first preseason game?

@nwagoner: Nothing set in stone yet but it's a safe bet that it's going to happen and will almost certainly be after the Rams play Oakland in the first preseason game. Play the Raiders, travel to Oxnard, California, train with the Cowboys, fly to Tennessee. If I was a betting man, that'd be my play.

Garrett Catalana @GarrettCatalana
Now that it has been 3 years since Snisher's first draft class, how would you evaluate the selections that they made?

@nwagoner: It's been a mixed bag. They missed completely on Isaiah Pead in the second round and Rokevious Watkins in the fifth round, though fifth-round misses are more understandable than those in the second. The Pead pick is more head scratching because the Rams had linebacker Bobby Wagner in their crosshairs before making that move. Add Wagner to that class and we're speaking of it in much better terms. Michael Brockers might not be a superstar but he's a very solid player, and while there's some hiccups with cornerback Janoris Jenkins, he's made his share of big plays as well. Receiver Brian Quick was finally on his way to a productive season before injury struck last season, and kicker Greg Zuerlein has mostly been solid as well. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson and receiver Chris Givens have flashed potential but never really seen it through on a consistent basis. All in all, it's been an OK class but probably not the cornerstone group you'd hope it would be with so many valuable picks in the first three rounds. What the Rams think of it will be more telling. We'll get those answers when they have to make decisions on re-signing members of the class. The guess here is that Brockers and Jenkins will be the priorities and much of the rest of the group will depend on how they perform in 2015.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
-Bro @helabucket
Any news on the practice session with the Cowboys after or before their first preseason game?

@nwagoner: Nothing set in stone yet but it's a safe bet that it's going to happen and will almost certainly be after the Rams play Oakland in the first preseason game. Play the Raiders, travel to Oxnard, California, train with the Cowboys, fly to Tennessee. If I was a betting man, that'd be my play.
If it were up to me I'd practice with the Cowboys prior to the Raider game! JMHO

Alan

Legend
When you practice against another team it isn't like like practicing against your own guys. I think the intensity will be ramped up and I worry about injuries. I'd rather we pass on this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Graham Hone @2A4T3T
What do you see mannions future to be? Will he take reigns after this season and they let foles walk?

@nwagoner: If that's Sean Mannion's future, it probably doesn't bode well for the 2015 Rams. Nick Foles is the starter for this team and it's hard to see a circumstance in which Mannion would be able to do enough to win the job from Foles after the season. I'm also not sold that Mannion will ever be a starter. Not ruling it out, but making such a proclamation now would be way over the top. In the Rams' ideal world, Foles plays very well in 2015, earns an extension and the team can keep bringing Mannion along as a solid backup.

I am not saying this will happen. However, if Mannion does very well this summer and say Foles has an injury or just flat out plays poorly, then maybe Mannion gets a chance. It is not ridiculous when you consider that Foles was just a fourth round pick and someone that writers like Wagoner "were not sold that he will ever be a starter".

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I am not saying this will happen. However, if Mannion does very well this summer and say Foles has an injury or just flat out plays poorly, then maybe Mannion gets a chance. It is not ridiculous when you consider that Foles was just a fourth round pick and someone that writers like Wagoner "were not sold that he will ever be a starter".
Foles was taken one spot after Mannion was taken, he's a 3rd round qb. Same year Seacocks took Wilson in the 3rd.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Foles was taken one spot after Mannion was taken, he's a 3rd round qb. Same year Seacocks took Wilson in the 3rd.

Thanks for the correction. Point still stands. Nobody really thought either Foles or Wilson would go on to be successful so quickly. Anything can happen.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Thanks for the correction. Point still stands. Nobody really thought either Foles or Wilson would go on to be successful so quickly. Anything can happen.
If Wilson can be successful behind a stout rushing attack, why not Foles?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, Waggoner's pre-judgement about Mannion torques me a little. No one knows how well he will do in the NFL. This goes for everyone in the draft, btw. Being a 1st round QB doesn't guarantee anything, although it may make the possibility of success better, admittedly. Still, Waggoner's opinion in this means next to nothing to me. I listen to Mannion, and he sounds like his head is on straight. Fisher says that he makes "all of the throws" and that his delivery is quicker than it was. I am excited about Foles, but am so glad we have a real developmental QB behind the starting QB now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Wilson can be successful behind a stout rushing attack, why not Foles?

I am not saying that he can't. I am saying: Why is Wagoner discounting Mannion's ability to do the same? Maybe Mannion will surprise everyone.

Personally, I don't care who is the QB. I just want a QB that is good enough to win playoff games.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@nwagoner: If that's Sean Mannion's future, it probably doesn't bode well for the 2015 Rams.

What better way to fire up a young, talented QB than have the media slag you off even before anyone's taken a snap! Mannion will be a starter in the NFL, his football smarts are better than that of a pure backup, I really don't mind if he sit's behind Foles for a year or two a la ARod to Favre (not that I'm comparing Foles to Favre - but you get what I mean)...

To say he'll not be a starter is insulting, who's to say ANY draft pick will be a starter - there have been a fair few potential NFL stars who NEVER live up to expectation and others which shine from round 3 and beyond

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What better way to fire up a young, talented QB than have the media slag you off even before anyone's taken a snap! Mannion will be a starter in the NFL, his football smarts are better than that of a pure backup, I really don't mind if he sit's behind Foles for a year or two a la ARod to Favre (not that I'm comparing Foles to Favre - but you get what I mean)...

To say he'll not be a starter is insulting, who's to say ANY draft pick will be a starter - there have been a fair few potential NFL stars who NEVER live up to expectation and others which shine from round 3 and beyond

Exactly. Wagoner is a bit of a negative jerk these days.

Alan

Legend
I really don't think you guys are reading what Wagoner said correctly when he says this:

"If that's Sean Mannion's future, it probably doesn't bode well for the 2015 Rams."

What he's saying is that Foles is our starter and if Mannion comes in during the season and takes over the starting job it will probably be because Foles has been stinking up the place and that means losses. The Rams can't recover from a bunch of early season losses. Especially in our division. Even if he took over from Foles due to injury, how could that bode well for the Rams season IN 2015 (not in the following years)? That's all he's saying with that comment.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still love all the reports from locals...PD, Nick, RamsNewsNow...any bit of info is appreciated....But I temper it now, like I don't think Nick is the end all be all for info...He does talk to people in the organization...Maybe he knows what some higher ups think? IDK...Seems strange that he doesn't believe a 3rd round pick will never be a starter....I feel top 4 rounds should all have potential to eventually be starters...not all-pros, but starters....

Alan

Legend
LACHAMP46 losing some faith in our local writers football acumen:
I still love all the reports from locals...PD, Nick, RamsNewsNow...any bit of info is appreciated....But I temper it now, like I don't think Nick is the end all be all for info...He does talk to people in the organization...Maybe he knows what some higher ups think? IDK...Seems strange that he doesn't believe a 3rd round pick will never be a starter....I feel top 4 rounds should all have potential to eventually be starters...not all-pros, but starters....
A couple of comments here:
I agree with your overall sentiments here Champ although I kind of limit my enthusiasm to the top 3 rounds.

More importantly though, I think tempering your reaction/take on anything ANYBODY says, local or not, is a good idea.

As for him thinking a 3rd round pick (a QB) probably won't be a starter, that's him just using the facts. Because QBs are so important to your organization they are almost always selected higher than they should be. That's not just my opinion of course. That metric of only having a good chance to get a starter in the top 3 rounds (top 4 rounds for you) is only applicable to the other positions.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
After reading Wagoner's articles I always have the feeling ...
Johnny%205.jpg

" I need more input!"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other exciting thing is that we have a QB coach who has a track record of helping young QBs develop.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other exciting thing is that we have a QB coach who has a track record of helping young QBs develop.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He threatened to sit out if drafted on day three. There was plenty of confusion over whether he could even do that or not, but it's beside the point.

While I can understand that he was unhappy about the circumstances, that may very well explain why a lot of teams opted not to take a chance on him in the 7th round.