Rams LB Troy Reeder fined $10K for late hit that got him ejected

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_13227649.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 39 minutes ago

Los Angeles Rams linebacker Troy Reeder was ejected in Week 2 of the preseason for a late hit to the helmet of Cowboys quarterback Cooper Rush. That play cost Reeder more than just playing time against Dallas, too.
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Reeder was fined $10,527 for his hit on Rush. That’s a significant chunk of change for an undrafted free agent, who doesn’t have the financial security of a draft pick or someone on the 53-man roster.

It was an indefensible play by Reeder and a clear mistake on his part. Rush had already gone to the ground in his slide when he put his shoulder in the quarterback’s head area. Rush was fortunate to have escaped without a concussion.
Here’s a look at the play that cost Reeder more than $10,000.

Reeder is not expected to make the Rams’ 53-man roster and is likely to be cut when teams trim their rosters on Saturday afternoon.

oldnotdead

Legend
With Carraway out for the season, it's not a lock that Reeder won't make the team. Reeder is one of the rare guys that can play both inside and out. With Kiser (ILB) and Carraway (OLB) it could open a door for Reeder. He's got the size and speed to play both positions. He is just very raw. IMO he at least makes the PS to contend next year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I like Reeder he seems to have good instincts and I'm seeing him constantly lining guys up in their respected positions. However, he will be a major liability in pass coverage. He was getting beat against 3rd Team TE's and RBs. He's not very good in space and thats not the way the rams Defense works. They rely on their ILB's to be able to cover in space. Much like Littleton, Howard, and Allen have demonstrated. I think Reeder will be the odd man out. He would be better suited for a Cover 2, 4-3 Defense.

oldnotdead

Legend
He's like Dakota Allen who is also a liability in coverage. Ideally, you would want better, but both these guys project at this time as #3's. Injuries to Lawler and Kiser are moving guys like Allen and Reeder up the depth chart. Also, Kiser has never shown he can cover either.

Remember, Wade pulls one of the ILB or the NT to bring in his nickel package and both to make room for his dime package. So that ILB is at most a 2 down player. If they get a 2nd and long, that ILB position gets pulled early after 1st down.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
Can't watch these plays. Not because of the hits... but the whole idea of being called safe every time you slide. Yeah... I'm old.

nighttrain

Legend
Can't watch these plays. Not because of the hits... but the whole idea of being called safe every time you slide. Yeah... I'm old.
you talking about QB sliding?
Been going on for a long long time, since Staubach at the very least
train

Ram65

Legend
Reeder is a bit slow and stiff.

Does he have to pay the fine if he is cut? Rookies should get a warning first.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't like it either. Especially when the slide is after the defender starts to go in for the hit. Like this time. If you want to give yourself up you should have to do it before your in tackle range. Also, a QB shouldn't be allowed to run for the side line and once he gets there head up field when a defender is close. The defender is damned if he hits him and damned if he doesn't.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He's like Dakota Allen who is also a liability in coverage.

Disagree. Allen has shown up all over the field, and he's instinctive enough in coverage. Is he Littleton? No, but on our roster, he doesn't have to be Littleton. He just has to be good enough.

As for Reeder, I feel for the guy. He was trying to make a play, and now he's out ten grand on a contract that really doesn't pay much. I do like him for special teams purposes.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Is he even making $10k? So dumb that he's fined because the qb waited till the last second to slide.

There should be a rule where if the qb doesn't slide before he's within 5 yards of a defender then bad luck, it too late to be protected.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
train
Well back in my day, Bob Waterfield took a sack like a man! - train

Ram65

Legend

Valid point.

I was thinking about the fine. Reeder hasn't made the team. If he makes the practice squad he only makes $129K. Rookies/UDFA that make the team can afford the $10K but, UDFAs like Reeder are getting IIRC a small weekly payment during camp. I guess the NFL has to do something in this case. The fine is excessive for someone not on an NFL contract.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO that was a bangbang play. It could have gone either way but the ref probably threw the flag because he lower his should into his head.

It was a very late slide.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
train
I'm talking about the Actual QB slide rule, not QB's who slide. I'm Norm Van Brocklin old, so I've seen a few QB slides in my lifetime. Roger was long out of football when this rule took effect in the early 90's. Edit: Just to be clear, I was born in the Van Brocklin era... not in the same year as Van Brocklin.

;)

Last edited:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Nope, nope and nope. It's a terrible rule that gives another advantage to the O.

It shouldn't matter who is running with the ball. If the QB doesn't want to get hit lay down like Brady or Everett.

If the QB takes off running and wants rule protection then he should go down At least 3 yards prior to a defender. If not tuff shit.

nighttrain

Legend
I'm talking about the Actual QB slide rule, not QB's who slide. I'm Norm Van Brocklin old, so I've seen a few QB slides in my lifetime. Roger was long out of football when this rule took effect in the early 90's. Edit: Just to be clear, I was born in the Van Brocklin era... not in the same year as Van Brocklin.

;)
NFL rules quarterback slide
When a runner slides feet first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet.” The NFL'sslide rule” has been around for 30 years, and it is intended to prevent bloodthirsty defensive players from teeing off on quarterbacks who wander out of the pocket.