Rams interested in OG Geoff Schwartz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The Chiefs met with free agent RG Geoff Schwartz at the Combine.
Schwartz, 27, was one of the most effective guards in the league last season despite making only eight starts. He's expressed interest in returning with the Chiefs, but it remains to be seen if they're willing to meet his asking price. "Schwartz loved it in Kansas City and would love to come back," agent Deryk Gilmore confirmed. "He wants to be paid like a starter." Feb 28 - 9:08 PM
Source: Kansas City Star

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Five NFL seasons, one with the Chiefs. Will be 28 when next season begins.

LINK

i

SchwartzChiefs career: The Chiefs signed Schwartz to a one-year contract last season because of his ability to play either guard or right tackle. He opened the season as a reserve, but when a shoulder injury forced right guard Jon Asamoah out of the lineup for a late-November game against San Diego, Schwartz took his spot. He played so well the Chiefs left him in the lineup even after Asamoah’s return. The Chiefs started scoring more points starting with the San Diego game, and while it’s a stretch to connect that to Schwartz’s presence in the starting lineup, he certainly didn’t hurt.

Argument for keeping Schwartz: He was arguably the Chiefs' best offensive lineman over the season’s final six games. Asamoah is also a potential free agent and the Chiefs don’t have the depth to survive the loss of both players.

Argument for letting Schwartz go: Schwartz wants to be a starter and wants to be paid like one. Can’t blame him for that but the Chiefs don’t have unlimited funds. It might make more sense to re-sign Asamoah, who is two years younger than Schwartz. The Chiefs could then pair Asamoah with Jeff Allen as their starting guards.

What should happen: The Chiefs shouldn’t be in the business of setting their top offensive linemen free. They will probably lose left tackle Branden Albert to free agency, and if they lose Schwartz as well, they’ll watch arguably their two best offensive linemen from last season walk out the door. That’s no way to build a powerful offense or a championship team. The Chiefs need to find a way to re-sign Schwartz.

Last edited by a moderator:

iced

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4976/geoff-schwartz

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the Rams are showing interest in free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz.

A mauler in the run game, Schwartz stands 6-foot-6, 340 and can play both guard and right tackle, though his best position is inside. The Rams appear to have given up on re-signing Rodger Saffold. Schwartz looks like their "Plan B."

Yay!!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
How much do you think he'd cost? I know he wants starter money, but that doesn't mean elite starter money. Just wondering if we could afford him as well as Verner(if we get him). How much did he make this last year? Love his size. 6'6 340 lbs run blocking mauler? daaaaaamn! If we cut Dahl, think we might be able to use that money on Schwartz.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
If he was look for "star" guard money it would be one thing, but I'd think that starting guard money should be doable.

Hopefully the a Rams can sign him up.

xander47

Rookie
How's his pass blocking? Definitely love that he played well at rg last year. Opens up the left guard position for one of the top ol prospects to be groomed in.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If we get Matthews/Robinson with our first pick couldn't we get a younger cheaper guard in the first also? Just saying!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Schwartz can do just as well as saffolds play in the run game that had everyone drooling. I would like this move

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A vet who can be plugged in @ ORG and able to be an back up for Joe Barksdale would be perfect. If for some reason that a need required JB to take up the OLT post then a guy like Geoff Schwartz would work. Sound like a younger much bigger version of a Harvey Dahl is some ways. the 6-6 306 pound Dahl played ORT and ORG for his NFL football career. The left OG post might get a plug if 28 yr old vet Chris Williams is also signed.

iced

From what I've been reading, this is your best guy to replace saffold. He's better at Guard than tackle but can be a swing tackle. Graded out pretty well at Guard last season, and 3rd best available free agent Guard.

Hope we get this guy if he's as good as advertised

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I know not a lot of people are fans of aging players that haven't had that much playing time, but this guy would be a MASSIVE upgrade on the line. I know plenty of Chiefs fans that want to retain him over Asamoah. I don't see KC letting both of these guys go though.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope so. Could be your swing Tackle should one go down to injury

Thats one of the main reasons I want him in horns. Versatility as an offensive lineman is huge. hopefully we won't ever need at tackle (but thats probably wishful thinking) Love him as a road grader though

iced

Thats one of the main reasons I want him in horns. Versatility as an offensive lineman is huge. hopefully we won't ever need at tackle (but thats probably wishful thinking) Love him as a road grader though

I'd love to put him at LG next to Long.. NOW that you can run behind