Rams in St. Louis: Best Era Yet to Come (Via 101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

In this thing called life, time flies.

When we look back at our most memorable moments, reminisce about the triumphs and tragedies we’ve witnessed or dream about past places and times, we are often smacked with the realization of just how rapidly life proceeds.

The fact that it’s already been nearly two decades since the Los Angeles Rams moved to the Gateway City to become the St. Louis Rams is a vivid sports portrait of just that.

In 1995, the Rams planted roots in the region after current owner Stan Kroenke purchased 30 percent of the franchise under the explicit precondition that the organization move to Kroenke’s home state and the city of St. Louis – the birthplace of former majority owner Georgia Frontiere.

Yes, the NFL was back. But good NFL football was no closer to the Lou than it was in 1987 when the Cardinals left town.

In the first of three distinct cycles for the Rams in St. Louis, the franchise began an extreme rollercoaster ride that would make even the owners of Six Flags take notice.

(Hope you guys (and girls) enjoy the piece)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/21/rams-in-st-louis-within-cycle-of-extremes-best-is-yet-to-come/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/05/21/ram ... t-to-come/</a>

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
tagfeet said:
I think they are moving back to LA...just my opinion!

Knowing your username and remembering you, that belief doesn't surprise me. Hope you enjoyed the piece and hope all is going well with you. :)

As for a move, the chances are slim to none for a multitude of reasons... and much closer to none than slim.

Whether we are talking owners cutting themselves less money for relocation over expansion, relocation fee that likely is at or exceeding $700 million, that the NFL G4 loan/GRANT is NOT available for relocating teams, L.A. being used for leverage, no stadium plan there even coming close to being acceptable to NFL, jumping through a huge number of hoops that are now in place to even be considered for a vote for 75% of owners to approve a move, that Kroenke has never sold part of a sports franchise, that Kroenke only bought 30% of Rams on precondition that they move here after being lead investor for St. Louis Stallions, that governor Nixon is leading the charge on the stadium front here, the NFL's largest preseason network allowed that is now in place here to market the team in this region, that the NFL knows they can keep all current markets and their revenues in place PLUS add L.A. via expansion closer to next CBA ADDS TO THE PIE, a team must evaluate and exhaust all opportunities in its’ current market before being considered for a move. In St. Louis, that process cannot even initiate until the conclusion of the arbitration, TV ratings in L.A. better without a team and that the Rams are not even considering any type of move at this time, among several other things.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
nighttrain said:
tagfeet said:
See a shrink!

Great Read Shane..Some very good points made
train
Hey man, I don't think they're moving either, but no need to need for that here. This ain't RamsTalk

nighttrain

Legend
brokeu91 said:
nighttrain said:
tagfeet said:
See a shrink!

Great Read Shane..Some very good points made
train
Hey man, I don't think they're moving either, but no need to need for that here. This ain't RamsTalk
Not Lost Angeles either, where I spent the best part of my life, but that was then, this is now
train

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I agree with the article - the best is yet to come.

I've found that nothing can beat knowing that our team will reside in the top tier of the NFL year after year, like we did in the 70's, with a solid front office making moves that made sense. Perhaps the biggest and BEST difference is that we don't have a HC (Chuck Knox) who will become ridiculously conservative in the playoffs and allow the team to lose to weaker opponents. So yeah, we're on our way to extended greatness, and that is very exciting indeed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well Shane,I love your optimism ,and I share it, if you are correct that the "best era" is yet to come ,I'd be shickled titless.

The only thing that worries me is the quality of the people we play now .
We COULD in deed be a better team and not be as dominant as the GSOT because we are first of all a more balanced team that will win from defensive effort at times and offensive at others and because the whole league is moving towards or has moved towards being scoring machines.
Back then we were THE scoring machine, actually took the league by surprise.

I hope your predictions come true and loved reading them , confidence is sexy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
ShaneG said:
tagfeet said:

Knowing your username and remembering you, that belief doesn't surprise me. Hope you enjoyed the piece and hope all is going well with you. :)

As for a move, the chances are slim to none for a multitude of reasons... and much closer to none than slim.

Whether we are talking owners cutting themselves less money for relocation over expansion, relocation fee that likely is at or exceeding $700 million, that the NFL G4 loan/GRANT is NOT available for relocating teams, L.A. being used for leverage, no stadium plan there even coming close to being acceptable to NFL, jumping through a huge number of hoops that are now in place to even be considered for a vote for 75% of owners to approve a move, that Kroenke has never sold part of a sports franchise, that Kroenke only bought 30% of Rams on precondition that they move here after being lead investor for St. Louis Stallions, that governor Nixon is leading the charge on the stadium front here, the NFL's largest preseason network allowed that is now in place here to market the team in this region, that the NFL knows they can keep all current markets and their revenues in place PLUS add L.A. via expansion closer to next CBA ADDS TO THE PIE, a team must evaluate and exhaust all opportunities in its’ current market before being considered for a move. In St. Louis, that process cannot even initiate until the conclusion of the arbitration, TV ratings in L.A. better without a team and that the Rams are not even considering any type of move at this time, among several other things.

But no matter what evidence is presented the group that thinks there is a conspiracy to move them to LA will never change their monds. Even when SK builds a stadium they will be spouting off about it.

The Rams aren't moving.....and

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_yQ02xwsM[/youtube]

tagfeet

UDFA
I stated my opinion in that the Rams will move back to LA in two years time because of there is way to much money to be made in Los Angeles with a new stadium in place...its not a conspiracy theory however...this is not the professor with a candle stick in the library!

humor is good though...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
tagfeet said:
I stated my opinion in that the Rams will move back to LA in two years time because of there is way to much money to be made in Los Angeles with a new stadium in place...its not a conspiracy theory however...this is not the professor with a candle stick in the library!

humor is good though...

I've been hearing that for many years.....I'd wager that it won't happen and am willing to bet big coin on it. Look at what Shane says, all of which is true. Then look at what SK does. No need to read tea leaves with the info it's as plain as day.

SK has several teams and ALL of them play in venues he owns. The Rams will be next and it'll be a venue in STL.

There may not be a football team in LA for many more years. They lost two in 1995. That was a long time ago and the NFL hasn't missed a beat. Anymore I think people around the league don't even care if there is a team in LA. They don't need it.

ShaneG

Starter
Stranger said:
I agree with the article - the best is yet to come.

I've found that nothing can beat knowing that our team will reside in the top tier of the NFL year after year, like we did in the 70's, with a solid front office making moves that made sense. Perhaps the biggest and BEST difference is that we don't have a HC (Chuck Knox) who will become ridiculously conservative in the playoffs and allow the team to lose to weaker opponents. So yeah, we're on our way to extended greatness, and that is very exciting indeed.

As you read, I agree 100%. Exciting days ahead, yes. I fully expect that.

ShaneG

Starter
Thordaddy said:
Well Shane,I love your optimism ,and I share it, if you are correct that the "best era" is yet to come ,I'd be shickled titless.

The only thing that worries me is the quality of the people we play now .
We COULD in deed be a better team and not be as dominant as the GSOT because we are first of all a more balanced team that will win from defensive effort at times and offensive at others and because the whole league is moving towards or has moved towards being scoring machines.
Back then we were THE scoring machine, actually took the league by surprise.

I hope your predictions come true and loved reading them , confidence is sexy.

Thanks for the kind words, Thordaddy. Appreciate that.

Great points re: quality of competition and -- specifically -- within the division. The interdivision competition during the GSOT days was not what it is now and what it looks to be for the next few years. I don't expect another GSOT offense, but I do expect an all around team that is very, very good in all three phases over the next few years, and that balance will be something that should serve this team well both in the regular season and playoffs.

ShaneG

Starter
tagfeet said:

humor is good though...

In all due respect my friend, what new stadium? L.A. is more than 2 years away from having that, even if construction were to begin tonight.

If L.A. were the goldmine some suggest it is, a team or teams would have been there already. But in the NFL model, lease friendliness and stadium is far more important than market size.

And again, the chances of any team moving during next 9 years is remote and the chances of owners/NFL allowing anyone to move when the NFL can keep all profits in place AND add to the pie in new CBA with new expansion team(s) makes it very unlikely anyone will be moving.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
ShaneG said:
tagfeet said:

humor is good though...

In all due respect my friend, what new stadium? L.A. is more than 2 years away from having that, even if construction were to begin tonight.

If L.A. were the goldmine some suggest it is, a team or teams would have been there already. But in the NFL model, lease friendliness and stadium is far more important than market size.

And again, the chances of any team moving during next 9 years is remote and the chances of owners/NFL allowing anyone to move when the NFL can keep all profits in place AND add to the pie in new CBA with new expansion team(s) makes it very unlikely anyone will be moving.
Not only would a team already be there but TWO teams would have never in their right minds left the"goldmine" of LA. Its a baseball/basketball friendly town just never been the gold mine everyone seems to think it is for thd nfl

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Rabid Ram said:
ShaneG said:
tagfeet said:

humor is good though...

Not only would a team already be there but TWO teams would have never in their right minds left the"goldmine" of LA. Its a baseball/basketball friendly town just never been the gold mine everyone seems to think it is for thd nfl
Yeah, I've never understood that, but it's true. I recall going to many games at the Coliseum and the Big A that we very empty. But I don't ever recall attending a Laker game at the Fabulous Forum that was less than 75% capacity.

Perhaps in the superficial town that is LA, being able to be "seen" is more important than attending the event. And my guess is it's easier to be "seen" at a Lakers' or Kodgers' game than at an NFL stadium, especially an outdoor one.

tagfeet

UDFA
Stranger said:
Rabid Ram said:
ShaneG said:
tagfeet said:

humor is good though...

Yeah, I've never understood that, but it's true. I recall going to many games at the Coliseum and the Big A that we very empty. But I don't ever recall attending a Laker game at the Fabulous Forum that was less than 75% capacity.

Perhaps in the superficial town that is LA, being able to be "seen" is more important than attending the event. And my guess is it's easier to be "seen" at a Lakers' or Kodgers' game than at an NFL stadium, especially an outdoor one.

Looks like I touched a nerve here! I love it....look the reason why teams have not come to LA before is because the City of Los Angeles would not cower to the mighty NFL..."you need to have taxpayer money bullshit" and I appauld LA for not falling into that trap! Sound familiar St. Louis???? What kind of trouble are you guys in with regards to stadium issues? The city of LA was and still is smart! Welcome AEG in 2011...with no public funding we can finally build a stadium we can be proud of and put people back to work...that's why it has not works until now...get it!

Right now with EIR, the passing of the city council and State. We are all set to go over here! AEG is not for sale anymore so it's full steam ahead...with all due respect to your theory of where they would play of course they would play at the coliseum...and with all due respect to you (The St. Louis fans) where is your stadium plans? (and don't say that tin can you call a dome) Tick tock...it takes time to put a first class stadium together...we have taken care of our business over here in LA...I would worry more about what you are going to do in 2 years when the lease is up...what are you going to do? Tick tock...more beautiful stadiums are going up every year (San Fran, Minnesota, Atlanta) If you think for one freaking second that Stan Kroenke, probably one of the richest owners in the NFL, is going to satified with that dome you are absolutly crazy!

If your SO SECURE in your belief that there is no chance the the Rams will move to LA...why does Bernie always talk about it...if your SO SECURE than why have people been talking about this since 2009? If your SO SECURE why do national publications say that the best team to move to LA is the RAMS? Read your own St. Louis dispatch articles on line...have you read the comments underneath when it comes to anything "taxpayer money" 90% of them are negative comments like, "bye" and "don't let the door hit you on the way out"... these are the real (probably non Rams fans) people of St. Louis who would rather spend there taxpayer money on stuff like Education, police, firefighters, etc!

Have you ever really honestly asked yourself why Stan tried to buy the Dodgers last year knowing full well the cross ownership rules? What...was he going to give it to his son again? Give me a break! have you ever really asked yourself why Stan owns teams all over the world instead of in the St. Louis area and has his home base in Denver?

People of the Lou get pissed off when they have to pay 2 million for the Rams legal fees? It blows my mind...how are you going to react to 300-400 million? ...with all of that being said, of course it will a challenge to bring the Rams home...but turning a blind eye to this particular gathering storm is kind of stupid! that's my personal opinion...yours may differ...but we will wait and see in 2 years!

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
So LA citizens failing to fill a stadium was answered where in this post? And if your looking to just touch nerves and piss people off for fun head over to rams online this aint the place for it.