Rams host OT Tyrell Crosby

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
TBH any of the Tackles you draft this year need work. Most at best, even the ones that will be drafted high, need work and likely are RT or swings. If you take one of these you hope to develop the LT skills but could settle for them being a backup or manning the right side. Parker has his own issues to work through as do Crosby, Weatherby, Christian whom I also like, Paris, Jones-Smith and Cappa to name a few that could be 3rd-6th rounders.

Yeah - I like Bentley Spain around 3rd / 4th

The Rams need to protect next season #1 rd pick.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Take the weakest guy with the best technique and understanding of the position and game. I believe in this training staff and coaching staff to get the player headed in the right direction in a hurry. I agree with @jrry32 , plan on life without Whit sooner than later. Playing with fire not addressing that this year.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
plan on life without Whit sooner than later. Playing with fire not addressing that this year.

While i agree that the Rams need depth along the offensive line, if Whitworth went down, they would move Rodger Saffold out to LT most likely and to this point put the next guy at guard like Blythe for example. And again, not a fan of moving Saffold to tackle (durability concerns) but to this point that would be the plan, IMHO.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
While i agree that the Rams need depth along the offensive line, if Whitworth went down, they would move Rodger Saffold out to LT most likely and to this point put the next guy at guard like Blythe for example. And again, not a fan of moving Saffold to tackle (durability concerns) but to this point that would be the plan, IMHO.

I don't like that plan at all even though it's probably the best option at the moment. Saffold just doesn't work at T for the reasons you stated. I don't want one injury at LT affecting LG as well. Saffold is playing great at LG, I want to keep him there. He finally looks settled in and borderline dominant at times. I'd be fine with a back up LT who couldn't run block a lick, but is decent in Pass Pro. You just don't want the offense to fall apart with Whit going down for an extended period of time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Appears that a few of our members here fully understand the Rams reserve LT dilemma as it stands today.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPImdMknAO4

IMO its a real possibility that this is Andrew Whitworth last year. When this 2018 season concludes as we all think it will Andrew will be well into his 37 year on this earth. Just because Andrew has another year under contract does not mean he contemplates playing in 2019. At the end of the 2017 season Andrew was the oldest starting LT in the NFL.

I sure do not see the prospect Crosby as a legit swing OT but a dandy RT/OG prospect.Yeah we need a few of them too. Rodger Saffold is already earning a near 8 million a year now & he will want a good pay raise next season & some serious guaranteed $$$$ to stay here. Saffold is our best OL but sadly Saffold stands to price himself right into Brown or 49er town in 2019.boot.

Snead may very well have to reach in this draft @ a LT plus draft more than a few OT prospects for good measure & use them inside first then outside in 2018 season.....on this "tight Spot".

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You just don't want the offense to fall apart with Whit going down for an extended period of time.

I agree, so hopefully they can draft someone, who will be ready in case of injury or is Cornelius Lucas ready to be a backup LT? Lucas played well for the Rams in his only start against the 49ers at RT, so one would surmise, they will look at him at LT too. But again, would feel much better if the Rams added a Tackle & Guard in the draft at the very minimum to add to the mix.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree, so hopefully they can draft someone, who will be ready in case of injury or is Cornelius Lucas ready to be a backup LT? Lucas played well for the Rams in his only start against the 49ers at RT, so one would surmise, they will look at him at LT too. But again, would feel much better if the Rams added a Tackle & Guard in the draft at the very minimum to add to the mix.
First the Rams would have to offer Lucas a contract & see if he was interested on being a Ram in 2018. Kromer only dressed Lucas for ONE gm in 2017. The lions have had issues @ LT for many seasons & Lucas was Not the answer there & was cut mid season. The Lions QB is far more mobile than Goff.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
First the Rams would have to offer Lucas a contract & see if he was interested on being a Ram in 2018. The lions have had issues @ LT for many seasons & Lucas was Not the answer there & was cut mid season. The Lions QB is far more mobile than Goff.

Not sure what is going there with the contract because on the website it showcases Lucas on the roster and not Darrell Williams, so who knows? And yes, he did not do well with the Lions and might be more of a RT than LT, but one thing for sure, Darrell Williams is not a good backup and played very poorly against the 49ers as well.

As to Stafford being more mobile than Goff, most are, Goff is better at moving within the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield to make a play, but again, not sure, who is under contract and who is not.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure what is going there with the contract because on the website it showcases Lucas on the roster and not Darrell Williams, so who knows? And yes, he did not do well with the Lions and might be more of a RT than LT, but one thing for sure, Darrell Williams is not a good backup and played very poorly against the 49ers as well.

As to Stafford being more mobile than Goff, most are, Goff is better at moving within the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield to make a play, but again, not sure, who is under contract and who is not.
Lucas is not on the below NFL.com Ram roster roster.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/losangelesrams/roster?team=LA

Lucas below is also not shown to be under a Ram contract in the updated OTC (Over The Cap) web page. This also indicates that Lucas only signed a 1 yr contract for just the 2017 season.
https://overthecap.com/player/cornelius-lucas/3359/

The below site indicates that Lucas is unsigned.
https://overthecap.com/free-agency

The below Ram web page of the official LA Ram site does not show that during this off seasons transaction that Cornelius Lucas was signed to the Rams in 2018.
http://www.therams.com/team/transactions.html

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
My 2 cents. Snead will be watching camp cuts like a hungry eagle for swing OT's. I just don't know with the dearth of decent OL in this draft if it's worth wasting a draft pick. There will probably be a dozen 2-3 year NFL veteran OL cut that are physically as good, and mentally sharper with the NFL game than this class of rookies.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I too believe this LT class IMO is weak to non existent. I don't even see a later round diamond in the rough. The college LTs project to RT / Guard. Brown, Crosby, McGlinchy, Williams, Rankin's etc. Miller and O'Neill project to mediocre LTs. I don't see any in the later rounds either.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I too believe this LT class IMO is weak to non existent. I don't even see a later round diamond in the rough. The college LTs project to RT / Guard. Brown, Crosby, McGlinchy, Williams, Rankin's etc. Miller and O'Neill project to mediocre LTs. I don't see any in the later rounds either.
I disagree, there are several that in the mid to late rounds with good coaching could be good LT in the NFL. Crosby that is discussed here, Geron Christian, Brandon Parker, Will Richardson, Desmond Harrison, Joey Notebloom and Greg Senat are a few that stand out to me. Is there a clear cut top LT blue chip prospect? Not really, but there are some players later in the draft with talent that will surprise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This class sucks at the top, but there are plenty of developmental players in the mid-rounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think that Havenstein proved to be a good young NFL Right Tackle for the Rams. I would imagine that of the three starting 2019 UFA's Ram OL'ers that Havenstein would stand the best chance of the three to be retained here after this season. Rams OL needs to be highly talent maintained if Goff is to be successful in the NFL.

Agreed on Havenstein, he's the guy I'd lock up if I were the GM. But I do think they're waiting to see how the draft falls out. If they get a guy they like as a potential for LT, the type who will most likely end up at RT, they might let Havenstein walk and go with Saff or Brown as a signing target. Hard to say, given how it will also come down to what each player is lookin for via their representation as well.

But IMO it would be wise to lock Havenstein up now. He's going to be very well regarded on next offseason's free agent market because I think he'll have a fine season. Dude works hard at his craft, and his size counters some of his leadfootedness. And I know, that's not a word. :D