Rams hire Brandon Staley as DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
A poster on another site suggested that McVay would raid the coaching tree of one of the defensive minds who figured out how to slow his scheme down.

Was thinking that might be something McVay would do because he doesn't shy away from learning from what works. Why I wouldnt' have been completely surprised to see Belichek jr to get some play but he just seemed too raw. I like this hire at face value.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like this. Kinda close to a McVay type hire but a bit more under the radar. From a good coaching tree and runs a more updated version of wades defense kinda. Fangio's defense is pretty good.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
If he's half the coach Fangio is, I'll be happy, Fangio was underrated for a long time.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Quick, what former Ram great is also a John Carroll Alum?

Q729

Legend
So this hire might help the offense figure out how to blow up the defense that walled them up. This could be good...

dang

Legend
Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'...Into the future...Now lets see them new unis!!

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ballsy move. I like it. A poster on another site suggested that McVay would raid the coaching tree of one of the defensive minds who figured out how to slow his scheme down. That poster was right, as McVay is raiding Vic Fangio's tree. What I like about this guy is that he does have DC experience in the past (even if it was at a small school).

Plus Staley is a University of Dayton Graduate....Great Minds graduate from Dayton! I love the hire, Vic Fangio runs the best 3-4 defense in the NFL and I was sure glad the Broncos hired him as Head Coach so he was no longer in Chicago...This is gutsy move by out Head Coach and I'm ecstatic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick, what former Ram great is also a John Carroll Alum?

Well, Josh McDaniels certainly wasn't great here, so it must be a man named London. BTW, John Carroll has a weirdly high number of upper-level NFL personnel men.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plus Staley is a University of Dayton Graduate....Great Minds graduate from Dayton! I love the hire, Vic Fangio runs the best 3-4 defense in the NFL and I was sure glad the Broncos hired him as Head Coach so he was no longer in Chicago...This is gutsy move by out Head Coach and I'm ecstatic.
Time to dump Dickie V.'s pic for McVay's!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
[www.denverpost.com]
Broncos OLB coach Brandon Staley to become Rams defensive coordinator, source says
TDP-L-BRNX49ERS_81919_EL2006x.jpg

Eric Lutzens, The Denver Post Denver Broncos outside linebackers coach Brandon Staley on the sideline during the fourth quarter of the game on Monday, Aug. 19 at Broncos Stadium at Mile High. The Denver Broncos hosted the San Francisco 49ers for the first preseason home game.

By RYAN O’HALLORAN | rohalloran@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
PUBLISHED: January 10, 2020 at 7:00 pm | UPDATED: January 10, 2020 at 7:00 pm

Broncos outside linebackers coach Brandon Staley will be the Los Angeles Rams’ new defensive coordinator, a league source confirmed Friday night. He is the first assistant coach to leave the Broncos this offseason. Staley traveled to southern California on Thursday night and interviewed with coach Sean McVay on Friday. Along with defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, Staley was one of two assistants who followed coach Vic Fangio to the Broncos last January.
Broncos outside linebackers accounted for 15 1/2 sacks this year, including a team-high eight by Von Miller. Staley was credited with developing rookies Malik Reed and Justin Hollins and helping veteran Jeremiah Attaochu learn the system once he signed in early October following Bradley Chubb’s season-ending ACL injury. The Rams finished 13th in yards allowed and 16th in points allowed this year. Staley inherits a defense that is led by perennial All-Pro Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And for those......

About to rock.....
Stephen-Fishwick-AC-DC-We-Salute-You-Bold-Canvas-Wall-Art-9d46ba40-f2f6-410a-b3f7-05b1c513d07a.jpg

Ram65

Legend
It seems like a good surprise choice. Rams keep and improve on the 3-4 defense with a young up and coming coach. He has to straighten out the secondary's poor communications/understanding of responsibilities. He will have his work cut out for him as he will have to fill some holes with starters that will not be coming back. He gets a chance to coach up some young talented players.