Rams have done little since free agency started but the fact is they have improved in two positions.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Weddle is an upgrade at safety over Joyner and Bortles is an upgrade over Mannion at backup QB. They don't have the money to do much more so I look for them to address the OL and DL in the draft.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Weddle is an upgrade at safety over Joyner and Bortles is an upgrade over Mannion at backup QB. They don't have the money to do much more so I look for them to address the OL and DL in the draft.

I am still hoping the Rams will be able to add a LB (Houston, Matthews, etc) or two during free agency!

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A linebacker, an offensive lineman and a running back would be nice before the draft.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think we'll also be better at edge with fowlers experience as a player and in this defense and starting week one.

Obo should also make the position better. He didn't play but he knows the defense better and has a years experience of other important aspects of being with the team.

And id be surprised if the rams don't get at least one more edge player from FA or the 3rd round in the draft.

My biggest concern right now is DT.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got a little worse at G, way worse at OL depth, and have zero ILB depth.

CBs potentially leaving next year too.

This regime has generally addressed depth needs in the draft, so I would expect the draft picks to go something like: DL, CB, ILB, OL

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think we'll also be better at edge with fowlers experience as a player and in this defense and starting week one.

Obo should also make the position better. He didn't play but he knows the defense better and has a years experience of other important aspects of being with the team.

And id be surprised if the rams don't get at least one more edge player from FA or the 3rd round in the draft.

My biggest concern right now is DT.

I agree about Fowler, believing a year where he gets to spend his entire pre-season under Wade Phillips in camp will boost his effectiveness and confidence. That and it's another 'contract' year for him since he only signed for 1 season. 2019 Fowler > 2018 Fowler.

I'm not sure whether to be more concerned about DT or DE, may also depend some on who is most ready or prepared as a back-up or rotational player in DT Joseph-Day or DE Franklin-Myers. Since Brockers can play inside or outside, i'm worried that his weight loss prior to last season will make him less effective as a NT, but i'm also projecting 2019 as possibly his last season with the Rams, especially considering his contract is ending and his high salary. I just want the best football player available, whether it be DT or DE. jmo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This regime has generally addressed depth needs in the draft, so I would expect the draft picks to go something like: DL, CB, ILB, OL

It's worth remembering that Snead hits on one (at least) solid to very good player from the pool of SFA's.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Run D is worse imo currently. No OL depth and we have two unproven players starting. Need an upgrade at the other OLB spot.

Yes we are way better at backup QB and most likely better at FS.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Got a little worse at G, way worse at OL depth, and have zero ILB depth.

CBs potentially leaving next year too.

Following the Bortles signing, the Rams only have 58 guys signed right now of the expected 80 due to come to camp. Money is an issue so something has to break fairly soon, whether it be extending some people, restructuring some contracts or outright cut/s. Presently, from what I can make of the Spotrac numbers, we are barely capable of covering all our draft $ obligations. There are 5 Rams free agents from last season I'd still like to see re-signed : CB-Sam Shields, RB-CJ Anderson, ILB-Bryce Hagar, OLB-Garrett Sickels, & OLB/DE-Dominique Easley. Together with the 7 draft picks this would bring our total up to 70. UDFA's & any other potential outside signings (Groy ?) will get us to our camp max.
Extending Peters may gain us something near $4.mill in CAP savings in 2019, restructuring Aaron Donald's contract could net well over $6.5 mil. jmo.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This will be a year of harvesting scraps of discarded players from other teams after the draft for depth. They’ll get a starter in the draft, maybe two with a little luck. That’ll be a DL or LB I would think since this draft is rich at those positions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I have to think an extension or two are in the works. And I also would think some lower end signings are coming.

The teams additions will be largely late round and UDFA types. So best of luck to guys like Shields.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Gotta count Fowler towards our FA haul. It wasnt a given that he would sign. Plus he'll net us a comp pick next season when he's released and signs a long term, lucrative deal elsewhere.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I stand corrected, they have now upgraded three different positions. Matthews is an upgrade over Barron. I like what they have done so far with limited cap space, proven players now desire to play for the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm a little disappointed. I understand the concept of getting some savvy vets, but Ravens fans say Waddle is very slow. Is he really a n upgrade, or just the best they can afford?

Then you get Matthews, and again I wonder how much he has left. I guess he is an upgrade from last year and offers flexibility, if he still can produce.

Losing Saffold sucks. His second level blocks are a thing of beauty. This bites worse after seeing Blythe and Sullivan get exposed in the Superbowl. It sudde not looks like three spots need filled and the answers are last year's depth. As usual I'm skeptical with young, unproven guys. Full games are hard work and a 16 game season is long. It's a lot to put onto Notebook and Allen, when they playoffs are an expectation. This team could sink or swim with them. I have more faith in Notebook than I do Allen. Losing quality depth is a concern too.

fearsomefour

Legend
Better at S, LB and back up QB
Worse on the OL.
Of course, these are all paper games at this point.
Would still love to see a solid vet rotational DL come on board.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm a little disappointed.

Losing Saffold sucks. His second level blocks are a thing of beauty. This bites worse after seeing Blythe and Sullivan get exposed in the Superbowl. It sudde not looks like three spots need filled and the answers are last year's depth. As usual I'm skeptical with young, unproven guys. Full games are hard work and a 16 game season is long. It's a lot to put onto Notebook and Allen, when they playoffs are an expectation. This team could sink or swim with them. I have more faith in Notebook than I do Allen. Losing quality depth is a concern too.

I understand where you're coming from over Saffold, but not really sure what you mean by losing quality depth. Two of our current depth players will likely move up into starting positions, although I haven't noticed anyone else leaving besides Saffold & Sullivan. Our new starters will be replaced in the draft with new depth players, and i'm guessing we'll take two, perhaps a higher rated OG who can take over at LG when Noteboom graduates to LT in 2020, and a later round OT or swing OT/OG who could eventually back-up Noteboom at LT as well as an OG position. I'm not sure we presently have the financial resources to pursue many OL free agents, although we made an attempt two years ago to go after Ryan Groy, so maybe history will repeat itself now that he's free of Buffalo. You just know that McSnead/Kromer are putting their heads together to come up with a solution. At the moment, i'm far more worried about the health of Gurley than with our OL, and if need be, i'll get concerned about the OL following the draft. If Goff expects to earn his 2020 $150mil. contract, he better show that he can deal with some occasional cracks in that OL of his. jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I understand where you're coming from over Saffold, but not really sure what you mean by losing quality depth. Two of our current depth players will likely move up into starting positions, although I haven't noticed anyone else leaving besides Saffold & Sullivan. Our new starters will be replaced in the draft with new depth players, and i'm guessing we'll take two, perhaps a higher rated OG who can take over at LG when Noteboom graduates to LT in 2020, and a later round OT or swing OT/OG who could eventually back-up Noteboom at LT as well as an OG position. I'm not sure we presently have the financial resources to pursue many OL free agents, although we made an attempt two years ago to go after Ryan Groy, so maybe history will repeat itself now that he's free of Buffalo. You just know that McSnead/Kromer are putting their heads together to come up with a solution. At the moment, i'm far more worried about the health of Gurley than with our OL, and if need be, i'll get concerned about the OL following the draft. If Goff expects to earn his 2020 $150mil. contract, he better show that he can deal with some occasional cracks in that OL of his. jmo.

That’s what I mean. Their best depth became starters. So now it’s back to drafting unproven rookies. Just because it seems like they did alright with Noteboom and Allen, doesn’t mean they repeat that success. We don’t even know how well those two will play over the course of the season.

If this was a rebuild, then no problem. I just think it’s a bit of a gamble at a crucial time. Soon enough they will have less cap space and it will get even harder to make the right moves to get to the Superbowl.