Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Forgive me, I've been out of the country and have not kept up as much. I still thought we have Jake Long, no? Did we cut him? If not, he can do a couple of things for us. He can either play LG or play RT. Either would go a long way (no pun intended) to shoring up our OL holes. I know it feels crappy to rely on someone with injury problems but he could help us out

Yep brokeu91 I too have been on the road for four days until yesterday myself. I see I missed some stuff. IMO I have very little faith that Long can take his over 6-7 prototype OLT body into our interior OL & assist us any inside. I feel better about him @ ORT & do fill positive about that position.

But as it has been discussed here many times before Long would be a very short term stop gap fix if its a fix at all then there that serious $$ issue that looks to me to be the biggest hurdle. I just do not see Jake as a "help us out" OL'er when he will demand big money that could be paid to a younger much healthier UFA OL'er
If you look at the article, it is titled "Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line". This article is only covering the interior of the offensive line. That is why he is only talking about Centers and Guards.
You are correct about that, our posted article did not have the click on "position by position" That the ESPN article did. So I missed it. I should have went to the attached article but its hard on my wife I-phone on the road. So I certainly ranted for nothing as I missed the article posted on the 26th on the Rams OT's . Thanks for letting me know.

Hey Nick, I owe you one, So Sorry my bad!

I wouldn't be happy with the other two. Not a fan of either. Just wish Hundley had the instincts to match his athleticism.

I rate all 3 higher than Hundley and would be much more comfortable with them in the draft than without. Elite? Probably not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you look at the article, it is titled "Rams free-agent preview: Interior offensive line". This article is only covering the interior of the offensive line. That is why he is only talking about Centers and Guards.

The problem is the status of OT directly affects our draft to include when they decide to address OG.

If Barks rolls out, the Rams will not have an option they like in FA. They will need to draft the position unless they are secretly high on someone on the depth chart like Jones swinging out there. But either way it would mean a high percentage of drafting OT which means they have to draft someone earlier vice later in this draft.

It also affects where the draftee plays. Scherff for example would step right in at LG and kick some butt next to GRob. But if Barks is gone he's probably gonna end up at RT where many think his ceiling is lower. I personally think he'd be fine at RT, btw, but either way it keeps coming back to Barks due to the fact the Rams don't have a lot of picks to play around with.

Right now our needs in my estimation (assuming they manage to bring Barks back): OG, OG/C, depth QB.

If they don't have to address RT it means they can go BPA at 10 so Cooper is in play if he falls. But if RT has a hole then they might be prone to taking Peat (my guess is that he'd go to LT and GRob would move to RT) or moving down and taking Flowers. It's all inter-related, IMO.

Oh and btw that's not even taking into account the impact of QB either, and to what extent they are willing to trade up/down or reach for the guy they end up coveting. They're gonna have one or two guys they want in this group and that might drive things especially if they don't need to address OT since they can get OG all through this draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The problem is the status of OT directly affects our draft to include when they decide to address OG.

If Barks rolls out, the Rams will not have an option they like in FA. They will need to draft the position unless they are secretly high on someone on the depth chart like Jones swinging out there. But either way it would mean a high percentage of drafting OT which means they have to draft someone earlier vice later in this draft.

It also affects where the draftee plays. Scherff for example would step right in at LG and kick some butt next to GRob. But if Barks is gone he's probably gonna end up at RT where many think his ceiling is lower. I personally think he'd be fine at RT, btw, but either way it keeps coming back to Barks due to the fact the Rams don't have a lot of picks to play around with.

Right now our needs in my estimation (assuming they manage to bring Barks back): OG, OG/C, depth QB.

If they don't have to address RT it means they can go BPA at 10 so Cooper is in play if he falls. But if RT has a hole then they might be prone to taking Peat (my guess is that he'd go to LT and GRob would move to RT) or moving down and taking Flowers. It's all inter-related, IMO.

Oh and btw that's not even taking into account the impact of QB either, and to what extent they are willing to trade up/down or reach for the guy they end up coveting. They're gonna have one or two guys they want in this group and that might drive things especially if they don't need to address OT since they can get OG all through this draft.

Its no secret what I am advocating for with that top 10 selection.....a versatile ready to start OL'er. I would like to find a younger version of Rodger Saffold. Rams for the past three drafts have been in the position to take the BPA with our first round selections. Its turned out good. However it been good for us but things have changed here in 2015. At this moment in time the Rams only have one healthy OT. The Ram Org can go get a starting UFA ORT but the pickings are very very slim & finding one who will not hurt our cap in 2015 & more importantly in 2016 will be almost impossible.

Options with UFA interior OL'ers is in a much better condition in the 2015 free agency. Rams could travel back in time & ask Saffold to start on the right side @ Tackle again. I am sure no one wants to do that but they may be forced into this decision in 2015.

The only other Ram who has some ability to play the right side & play OT is the often injured Barrett Jones. Jones started 26 games on the right side & started 13 games @ OT. So there could be some options but none that don't come with concerns & worries.

I do not want to OVERPAY for a defective ORT in Joe Barksdale that would be a very stupid dumb move. One that does not improve this team. You & I will have to disagree on bringing Barksdale back plus your "needs in my estimation" too where I see the need for a ORT & a OT who can swing to both OLT & ORT posts. But if a miracle does happen & the Rams find a ORT in free agency BEFORE the draft then I will reassess it then.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If Cooper and White are gone, BPA has to be Scherff unless you like OT Flowers in that spot like walterfootball.

And how did he forget about Barks? We need to resign him and put him next to Saffold. Scherff can play LG and we can draft somebody to play C in the second of third round. Not a strong draft class for C's for what I've seen, though.
Agreed, and, I think, all the more reason to go after Erving in the Draft!

FrankenRam

Starter
If Cooper and White are gone, BPA has to be Scherff unless you like OT Flowers in that spot like walterfootball.

And how did he forget about Barks? We need to resign him and put him next to Saffold. Scherff can play LG and we can draft somebody to play C in the second of third round. Not a strong draft class for C's for what I've seen, though.

I would be surprised if Fisher will start 2 rookies on OL from day 1...especially with GRob barely more than a rookie. GRob all but walked on water in the eyes of darn near everyone under the sun last year, and he didn't start til what the 4th or 5th game.(?)

IMO, hoping to get 2 starting OL in one draft that are ready to start on day 1 is a little too optimistic.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I would be surprised if Fisher will start 2 rookies on OL from day 1...especially with GRob barely more than a rookie. GRob all but walked on water in the eyes of darn near everyone under the sun last year, and he didn't start til what the 4th or 5th game.(?)

IMO, hoping to get 2 starting OL in one draft that are ready to start on day 1 is a little too optimistic.

Yeah but as long as the rookie C was a road grader then we could run the shite out of the ball and the PA would murder teams.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is just my personal opinion but these are the guys I would pursue:
1. Clint Boling OG/RT Cincinnati (Value Estimation: $4-$6 million per year)
2. Derek Newton RT/OG Houston (Value Estimation: $4-$5 million per year)
3. Justin Blalock OG Atlanta (Value Estimation: $2-$3 million per year)
4. Rob Sims OG Detroit (Value Estimation: $2-$3 million per year)
5. Jermey Parnell OT Dallas (Value Estimation: $3-$5 million per year)

Why these guys? I think all will be reasonably priced because they fall more into that mid tier of free agency. Blalock and Sims are both "bridge" players. They're 30+ years old and would be brought on more as depth than anything but both are still solid, durable starters that are more than capable of starting if a rookie isn't ready. Basically, they're what Davin Joseph was supposed to be. Both are great fits for the power scheme.

Boling is still relatively young and is a steady, reliable starting OG. He can slide out to RT in a pinch but I'd be most comfortable with him at OG. If we're signing him, he could operate as a 6th OL but he would also offer us a very steady starter at LG. Probably not the greatest scheme fit for us in that he's not an overpowering drive blocker but more of a solid all around guy. But he played in a PBS in Cincy and was effective in it.

Jermey Parnell has been Dallas's swing OT the past few years and thrived in that role. This year, he had to step in and start 6 games due to injuries to Free including both playoff games. He didn't allow a sack in 6 games and the Dallas OL didn't seem to miss a beat. I think he's a guy who's poised to get a starting job in FA. Really proved himself this year. Dallas runs a ZBS but Parnell has the size to play RT in a PBS. Not sure what type of contract he'll get because he's never been a full time starter but he's one of those guys who could be a great value buy in FA because of that. Really good performance when he's played the past two years.

Derek Newton is a bit of a different story from Parnell. He's been a full time starter for the Texans but really struggled in Kubiak's ZBS. The Texans brought in Boudreau's assistant OL Coach from Atlanta as their new OL Coach under O'Brien and Newton thrived in his scheme. They now replaced that OL Coach with another. Newton has the size to play in a PBS and I think he fits best in a PBS. He's a better run blocker than pass protector at RT and has some of the same issues that Barksdale has(i.e. really good run blocker but average pass protector) but I think he'll be a bit cheaper and still has some upside because he's an athletic kid that was quite raw coming out. Plus, Newton performed EXTREMELY well at OG this year when Houston needed him to step in. So he adds some versatility and could possibly even be considered as an OG convert.

Why not Rodney Hudson? I've been hearing rumors that he wants to be one of the highest paid centers in the league. That's like $8 to $9 million a year. I'd rather get two of these guys than only one player. But if his price is more reasonable...like $7 to $7.5 million a year, I'd be good with him.

Why not Iupati? Seems like your typical signing that blows up in our face. Been getting more and more nicked up the past couple years, isn't a good pass protector, and is about to get paid big money. These signings never work out for us. I'd stay away from him.

Why not Wisniewski? I'm not opposed to Wisniewski but I've been looking into him more and he seems like more of an average Center than anything. If I were to sign him, it would have to be at a reasonable price...like a similar price to what I'm estimating on Newton. That all said, I'm not as concerned about the Center position as some other Rams fans and I happen to like some of the Centers in this draft. Would rather fortify OG and OT before the draft...and improve depth.

Agree with just about everything here. I want nothing to do with Iupati, like you said just seems like a signing that will blow up, Hudson is going to get paid top dollar and Wiz seems more like a 3-4M player but will probably get 6ish.

Bolig and Parnell are the two I would like to see them walk away with. Parnells price could get high though kind of the way Schwartz did last year. Teams know he play and I bet he gets a lot of interest.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams have never shown a willingness to enter the draft with holes at any position so FA is gonna happen.

This is something that what appears to be an "OLine or bust in the 1st round of the draft" crowd seem to have completely forgotten.

What would be my plan for the Oline?

Bringing in somewhat older veterans via a stop gap free agency (not coming off a down year like Joseph) and then see what happens in the NFL draft.

1) Good-bye Long. Hello Justin Blalock.

This way this team has got a veteran LG (who has already played for Paul Boudreau) next to Robinson so Saffold can remain at RG where he's excelled before. And since he just turned 31 late December the Rams shouldn't have to break the bank for him. Blalock gives the team at least 2-3 years to develop his replacement.

2) Next? Good-bye Wells. Hello Brian De la Puente.

De la Puente turns 30 this May and would give the team a veteran option to turn to just in case Barnes, Rhaney, or maybe even Jones aren't ready to take over via an open competition.

3) Next? Wait and see what the market bears for Barksdale and re-sign him if it's reasonable. Sure, he's only 27, but the guy gave up 8.5 sacks last year (per stats.com) so I really question if he has as big a payday out there waiting for him that some seem to believe. And if he can remain healthy, Barrett Jones might be a consideration at RT, too.

Now the team can go into the draft and stick to the BPA within reason philosophy that got them Aaron Donald and not force an Oline choice hoping a rookie can step in immediately. And if the OLineman isn't that BPA guy early, they can address the position later with guys they believe can be developed for the future.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
This is something that what appears to be an "OLine or bust in the 1st round of the draft" crowd seem to have completely forgotten.

Bringing in somewhat older veterans via a stop gap free agency (not coming off a down year like Joseph) and then see what happens in the NFL draft.

This way this team has got a veteran LG (who has already played for Paul Boudreau) next to Robinson so Saffold can remain at RG where he's excelled before. And since he just turned 31 late December the Rams shouldn't have to break the bank for him. Blalock gives the team at least 2-3 years to develop his replacement.

De la Puente turns 30 this May and would give the team a veteran option to turn to just in case Barnes, Rhaney, or maybe even Jones aren't ready to take over via an open competition.

3) Next? Wait and see what the market bears for Barksdale and re-sign him if it's reasonable. Sure, he's only 27, but the guy gave up 8.5 sacks last year (per stats.com) so I really question if he has as big a payday out there waiting for him that some seem to believe. And if he can remain healthy, Barrett Jones might be a consideration at RT, too.

Now the team can go into the draft and stick to the BPA within reason philosophy that got them Aaron Donald and not force an Oline choice hoping a rookie can step in immediately. And if the OLineman isn't that BPA guy early, they can address the position later with guys they believe can be developed for the future.
I like this in as much as it could allow the Rams to trade down and still get O line help it needs in the draft!

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I like your thinking, Memphis.

I'm leaning toward non"Fan Fave" FA solutions at C and OG these days.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't get why so many(primarily radio and newsprint) only really talk about OG and RT. IMO, C is the biggest need and it's not even close. I also don't want to draft a rookie and hope he's good enough. C is too complex and important to rely on a rookie when we have Bradford as our QB. I haven't even looked at the C prospects in the draft because I don't want one(at least not in the top rounds). If the Rams don't get one of the top two C's in FA, it's a failure in my book. Everything hinges off of that move/position. After that, do what you want but C HAS to be top priority and Wells cannot be brought back. Not even as a backup. I can't stand his horrible play anymore and I'm starting to wonder what Wells has over Fisher/Snead to to merit so much faith in him.