Rams draft winners & losers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well, they’re pretty unmovable for 2021 because they don’t have replacements ...
That's the B-reason.

The Dead-$ should the Rams release Woods and Kupp in 2021 is more than $35M, with cap savings under $12M.

That's a net decrease to the cap of more than $23M. That's the A-reason

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the B-reason.

The Dead-$ should the Rams release Woods and Kupp in 2021 is more than $35M, with cap savings under $12M.

That's a net decrease to the cap of more than $23M. That's the A-reason
Its not the B reason, its the ONLY reason
Release them? This season? What planet is that conversation happening on? Cap hit or no, neither guy is getting moved leaving Jefferson as the only other WR with a minute of experience. Furthermore, neither guy would be released and who cares what both would cost as moving them both would never happen
After 2021, or heck even during it,*if* another WR emerged as legit, and McVay wanted to move one of them, Dead Cap wont stop it. If we've learned anything about this Era:
-Starters wont play in preseason
-1st round picks are meaningless
- wont sign UFA, will trade for or sign released Vet 1st
-Dead cap is irrelevant, if its time to go, its time to go
- Nobody's job is safe, see above

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
After 2021, or heck even during it,*if* another WR emerged as legit, and McVay wanted to move one of them, Dead Cap wont stop it. If we've learned anything about this Era:
That's where your argument goes off-the-rails. The cap and Dead-$ are real things and can't be completely ignored.

The Rams have almost $40M of Dead-$ on their books for 2021. That could have meant holding-on to Johnson, Brockers, Fox and Everett while making other additions. The Rams have lost a ton of quality talent and depth because of all the Dead-cap.

Prior to their restructures to create needed cap space, both Woods and Kupp could have been moved because of the way their contracts were originally structured. By restructuring, both players went from movable for big-cap-savings to completely unmovable for 2021, with minimal cap-relief for 2022.

There have been posters who have raised the option of moving Woods or Kupp this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am saying that Jefferson is the primary back-up to Woods and Kupp in 2021.
I don't think it's that simple tbh. Jefferson just got served a ton of competition. If the Rams thought he was a deep threat they probably would not have added DJax and Tutu in the same offseason.

What could happen is Jefferson gives Woody/Kupp a blow. And DJax and Tutu rotate. That's if Tutu is a quick study. And if things go that route and Jefferson plays well in his looks then maybe the Rams move one of Kupp or Woody before the trade deadline. But what we have at WR is extreme competition. This is the best group I can remember in terms of depth since the GSoT.

Even if Tutu is not a quick study Jefferson has to contend with DJax. And that's not even considering that the slot competition is between WR and TE. So if by some miracle Hopkins makes a move and pushes for snaps it's even more crowded. I doubt Harris competes but if he's a teams beast and is smart and picks up the offense quick he could end up stealing some snaps too in the slot, particularly in certain situations.

This camp is gonna be crazy for the pass catchers.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
-Starters wont play in preseason
-1st round picks are meaningless
- wont sign UFA, will trade for or sign released Vet 1st
-Dead cap is irrelevant, if its time to go, its time to go
- Nobody's job is safe, see above
Dead cap can be eaten but there's a limit. I think both Kupp and Woods are off limits as far as that's concerned through 2022. They'd be losing a quality player and losing cap space at the same time.

2021 might look like this:
Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Jackson, Tutu, T. Jackson with Skowornek on the PS.

2022: Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Tutu, T. Jackson and Skowornek or a draft pick.

They can lose JJ Koski and No Nimble Hands Webster

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
End of season: we better address the oline.

Goff is traded: it was 100% the olines fault.

Draft day.: What??!!@ no olinemen!!??

Day after draft: no way to grade the draft until 2 years out.

Two days after draft: We drafted :insert players name here: replacement

3 days after draft: continuous talk trying to convince ourselves that our oline is awesome.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I am saying that Jefferson is the primary back-up to Woods and Kupp in 2021. Should either go-down, or come-out for a series, it would be Jefferson getting most of the snaps, and not Jackson or Atwell who will have a more specific role.
I get what you're saying. Idk what Old School was saying. We run (3 WR)11 personnel alot, so adding a speed guy(either DJax or Tutu) doesn't mean that Jefferson is now the odd man out or a bench guy. Jefferson will be on the field by design depending on the matchup(usually either him or DJax) and will be the first guy to back up Woods or Kupp in any situation.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get what you're saying. Idk what Old School was saying. We run (3 WR)11 personnel alot, so adding a speed guy(either DJax or Tutu) doesn't mean that Jefferson is now the odd man out or a bench guy. Jefferson will be on the field by design depending on the matchup(usually either him or DJax) and will be the first guy to back up Woods or Kupp in any situation.
If I can add, Jefferson isn’t slow either. He was killing it at the senior bowl

At the Senior Bowl, Jefferson was clocked as the fastest player on the field. He topped out at 21.05 mph and 20.99 mph during punt return drills, which were the highest speeds of anyone in Mobile. One of the players who was at the combine? Mims, whose top speedwas 20.26 mph.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If I can add, Jefferson isn’t slow either. He was killing it at the senior bowl
By all means dude. Add!
I'm talking about in-game burner speed though, the kind that MCSnead clearly went after in DJax & Atwell.

Hram

UDFA
But I do not believe they will trade them and take a cap Hit unless either of them regresses In the next couple of years. Maybe the last year of their contract but that would be it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But I do not believe they will trade them and take a cap Hit unless either of them regresses In the next couple of years. Maybe the last year of their contract but that would be it.

I assume you are reacting to Kupp or Woods being possibly dismissed based from the post at the top of the page ? Like some others, I doubt they leave in 2022 because of the contract extensions, but in 2023 when both players are over 30, the Rams might easily see a better way to spend that CAP space they are taking up, especially if a couple of our newly drafted players are developing in a manner they approve of. That's 2 seasons away and very difficult to speculate on just yet imo.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couldn't the Rams trade Kupp or Woods next year? Like a salary dump, in exchange for a 5th or 6th round pick?