Rams Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I know I am probably overly optimistic but I really think the Rams Defense is going to be really, really good this season! And, since they are basically a very young Defense (just like the rest of the team!) they will hopefully be very good for years to come! I am one of those OUT-OF-TOWN Rams Fans so I unfortunately I don't get to see the Rams in person like many of you LUCKY fans do so I am hoping some of you can tell me if you think the below Defensive Lineup is pretty much going to be the way the Rams start the season and if you can comment on some of the players and who you think will make the team as backups. Thanks in advance! I can't tell you how long it has been since I have been this excited about an upcoming Rams season (it's been a long time!)!

DE - Chris Long Eugene Sims William Hayes Scott Smith
Robert Quinn
DT - Michael Brockers Matthew Conrath Trevor Laws Jermelle Cudjo Darell Scott
Kenny Langford
MLB-James Laurinaitis Josh Hull
OLB-Jo-Lonn Dunbar Mario Haggan Sammy Brown Aaron Brown Alex Hoffman-Ellis
Rocky McIntosh
CB - Cortland Finnegan Bradley Fletcher Trumaine Johnson Josh Gorfdy Jerome Murphy
Janoris Jenkins
S - Quintin Mikell Craig Dahl Matthew Daniels Rodney McLeod
Darian Stewart

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry! My Depth Chart did not come out like I meant it to! Can you please comment if you think this will probably be the starters for the Rams when the season begins and which backups do you think will actually make the Rams final roster? Thanks!

STARTERS

DE Long
Quinn
DT Brockers
Langford
MLB Laurinaitis
OLB Dunbar
McIntosh
CB Finnegan
Jenkins
S Mikell
Stewart

RESERVES

DE Sims
Hayes
Smith
DT Brockers
Conrath
Laws
Cudjo
Scott
MLB Hull
OLB Haggan
Brown (Sammy)
Brown (Aaron)
Hoffman-Ellis
CB Fletcher
Johnson
Gordy
Murphy
S Dahl
Daniels
McLeod

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I agree with y'all. We have the potential to be a top tier defense this year.

I'll play a little devils advocate here and raise 2 points of contention. First, the depth scares me everywhere on the defense except CB. We will need to stay healthy to be a top defense.

Second, I think its yet to be determined how effective we will be at stopping the run. Our DTs are big and strong, but not particularly heavy. Quinn is another question mark against the run. There are also indications from camp we will use a lot of "wide 9" along the line. That puts stress on the LBs. We know JL is good, but Dunbar and Haggen are unknowns although early indications are positive. Larry Grant always looked like a stud this time of year too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:

I'll play a little devils advocate here and raise 2 points of contention. First, the depth scares me everywhere on the defense except CB. We will need to stay healthy to be a top defense.

Second, I think its yet to be determined how effective we will be at stopping the run. Our DTs are big and strong, but not particularly heavy. Quinn is another question mark against the run. There are also indications from camp we will use a lot of "wide 9" along the line. That puts stress on the LBs. We know JL is good, but Dunbar and Haggen are unknowns although early indications are positive. Larry Grant always looked like a stud this time of year too.
First point: Legit.

Second point: Legit. Plus, they're ALL learning a new system. This would have been the 4th year in the same scheme for a few of them, and that would have been HUGE. Now, it's back to square one. That doesn't mean they won't be effective, but then again, I watched a whole bunch of video of last year where the linebackers were the one caught over-pursuing or failing in gap control, and that was primarily because of the vets brought in as hole-fillers. Hole-fillers who weren't familiar with the defense (and of course had no camp). There's two new linebackers now, so that *could* be a legitimate concern. I think our primary chance of being successful this year on defense is not only controlling, but dominating the LOS.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
libertadrocks said:

D-line depth is better than you'd think. Laws is a starter on probably half the other teams in the league. When you have him and Hayes on the the line at the same time that's a pretty stout group against the run. I'm honestly not a fan of the LB situation, but Haggans is a pretty sturdy vet, so he should be able to hold his own.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Laws is a 16 game rotational DT. He's fine there. Plus there's guys like Cudjo, Conrath, Scott competing too.

OLB, you know someone said that 4-3 OLBs aren't exactly superstars. HOw many are there, really? Briggs, DJ Williams of Denver, Weatherspoon, Greenway. They just need to tackle...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
They just need to tackle...
They need a little more than that, homey. First they need to be in position to tackle. I think that's my only concern with them in this defense. Being able to be in position at the right time, because it's a little too early for them to read & react on a 'second nature' level.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Can't wait to see them to play in a real game. In practice they seem much faster and aggressive. The wide nine looks they throw out there really seems to favor Quinn and Long.
And they have this new fangled thing called gap discipline. Just stunning how that when a player stays in his gap how easy it is to stop the run. Who Knew..

Not sure it will be top ten this year, but to me the're ahead of where they were the last couple years just for the fact of more talent, faster, while getting bigger and some of it is scheme.

If they can finish mid pack in run D then overall this will be a very good D.

PhxRam

I think with this aggressive style of D you are going to see us give up a fair share of big plays. If we can make more big plays then give them up we should be okay.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
Top 10 defense for sure. We are going to shock some teams, I promise that.
At this point I would be disappointed with anything less than a top 10 defense. With the talent on the line and DB, this could be top 5

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
brokeu91 said:
bluecoconuts said:
Top 10 defense for sure. We are going to shock some teams, I promise that.
At this point I would be disappointed with anything less than a top 10 defense. With the talent on the line and DB, this could be top 5

There are lots of reasons to be optimistic, and Im as big of a homer as just about anyone, but I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment with the expectation of a top 5 D.

Ill wait till after we face the Lions week 1 to make any prediction as to how good this defense is.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
X said:
Angry Ram said:
They just need to tackle...
They need a little more than that, homey. First they need to be in position to tackle. I think that's my only concern with them in this defense. Being able to be in position at the right time, because it's a little too early for them to read & react on a 'second nature' level.

True, but missed tackles cause these uber long runs and what not. Like on one of those DeMarco Murray runs Chamberlain was way off. Hope Brockers/Langford can slow em down and help them OLBs get the tackles.